Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #141
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Gin Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
As far as I know, it is still in production. Haven't heard anything to the contrary.
Regional release? I have no idea.

I did it old school and just blasted them a comment via their "contact us" link on the site. Thanks for your input, sir.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #142
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Peter did you ever try the Uncle Vals?
Wife also seems interested in the Saffron one you posted earlier.
Prices on the hi-time wine cellar site are very good and selection is better then bevmo which is the only place decent around here.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #143
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Peter did you ever try the Uncle Vals?
Wife also seems interested in the Saffron one you posted earlier.
Prices on the hi-time wine cellar site are very good and selection is better then bevmo which is the only place decent around here.
I like Uncle Val's - a lot. Very little bite. Floral with a hint of citrus.

HiTime is an excellent place to shop. It is about a 90 minute drive for me so when I go, I make it worth my while. Back when I bought that saffron gin, they had a special on shipping. A flat $9.99 for up to 12 bottles.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #144
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
I like Uncle Val's - a lot. Very little bite. Floral with a hint of citrus.

HiTime is an excellent place to shop. It is about a 90 minute drive for me so when I go, I make it worth my while. Back when I bought that saffron gin, they had a special on shipping. A flat $9.99 for up to 12 bottles.
How would you compare Uncle Vals to citadel or magellan if you have tried? Magellan has been interesting to a me. The Iris profile really is unique and makes it different from most. So many damn small batch gins to try.

On a side note I think I ruined my ability to like Hendricks by trying so many small batch gins before trying it. Finally grabbed a bottle at trader joes the other day. Tried a G&T with fever tree and just left me thinking of other options.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #145
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
How would you compare Uncle Vals to citadel or magellan if you have tried? Magellan has been interesting to a me. The Iris profile really is unique and makes it different from most. So many damn small batch gins to try.

On a side note I think I ruined my ability to like Hendricks by trying so many small batch gins before trying it. Finally grabbed a bottle at trader joes the other day. Tried a G&T with fever tree and just left me thinking of other options.
And I'm loving every minute of it.

I've had Citadelle and Magellan and I think Uncle Val's is superior to both. But that's just one man's opinion (taste buds).
Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #146
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
And I'm loving every minute of it.

I've had Citadelle and Magellan and I think Uncle Val's is superior to both. But that's just one man's opinion (taste buds).
Reviving an old but favorite thread. The irony is that that I am currently enjoying a martini with Uncle Val's and a splash of sake.

Here is my new fave. Very floral.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #147
Felixcigar
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Felixcigar is on a distinguished road

OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?
Felixcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #148
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixcigar View Post
OK, I'll admit that I did not read the whole thread, but does no one drink Beefeater anymore?
22 posts in this thread reference Beefeater.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #149
Felixcigar
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Felixcigar is on a distinguished road

Then I am in good company.
Felixcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #150
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixcigar View Post
Then I am in good company.
Reading here is worth the time and effort.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #151
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Reviving an old but favorite thread. The irony is that that I am currently enjoying a martini with Uncle Val's and a splash of sake.

Here is my new fave. Very floral.

Pete you should give the G'VINE NOUAISON a try. Doesnt come across as sweet as the floraison but nice. Not sure if you have tried Martin Miller either standard or Westbourne Strength, but if you like the Gvine I think you will like this. It has a similar underlying sweetness. Comb gin which is made from honey may also be up your alley.

local b&m has some gin guys and we have pooled together to sample a lot of things recently.

If you have a chance I would also recommend trying the following if you have not
Voyager Gin
Leopolds
Northshore #11
Comb

Two gins that were very easy to drink but no one had much of an opinion on were The Botanist and Q quintessential gin.

Things I found to be a waste of money
Sipsmith
"Boomer and Lazarus" Gvine is a better price and better taste
"Right" way too much citrus
"Prohibition" it has Cinnamon profile just nasty
"No.3 London Dry" not bad just not note worthy or worth money
"Tahoe Moonshine Gin" it reminded us of salty fish
Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #152
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Pete you should give the G'VINE NOUAISON a try. Doesnt come across as sweet as the floraison but nice. Not sure if you have tried Martin Miller either standard or Westbourne Strength, but if you like the Gvine I think you will like this. It has a similar underlying sweetness. Comb gin which is made from honey may also be up your alley.

local b&m has some gin guys and we have pooled together to sample a lot of things recently.

If you have a chance I would also recommend trying the following if you have not
Voyager Gin
Leopolds
Northshore #11
Comb

Two gins that were very easy to drink but no one had much of an opinion on were The Botanist and Q quintessential gin.

Things I found to be a waste of money
Sipsmith
"Boomer and Lazarus" Gvine is a better price and better taste
"Right" way too much citrus
"Prohibition" it has Cinnamon profile just nasty
"No.3 London Dry" not bad just not note worthy or worth money
"Tahoe Moonshine Gin" it reminded us of salty fish
Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Lots to research and try.
Of all that you mentioned, I've only had the Northshore, The Botanist and Right. I liked the Northshore. The Botanist and Right were just adequate.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #153
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Pete bevmo has some berkshire etheral gin as well as berkshire greylock gin they are put on closeout. The berkshire etheral is a limited release they do once a year I think and the profile changes on each production. The bottle label this time is orange. It has a citrus and pepper profile and is definitely worth a purchase. You may want to use the web to check the stock of local bevmos or go to one and have them check local stock. The greylock version is also good. Very smooth easy to drink.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #154
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Pete bevmo has some berkshire etheral gin as well as berkshire greylock gin they are put on closeout. The berkshire etheral is a limited release they do once a year I think and the profile changes on each production. The bottle label this time is orange. It has a citrus and pepper profile and is definitely worth a purchase. You may want to use the web to check the stock of local bevmos or go to one and have them check local stock. The greylock version is also good. Very smooth easy to drink.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #155
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Want to be added in this thread, recently started dabbling with Gin, decided to give it a try previous experience was getting drunk at age 11 off a bottle Me and my buddy stole from his parents and got VERY SICK, figured to try it again as an adult. Right now I'm REALLY liking GnT with Sapphire and orange and lime slices. I've always enjoyed dirty (vodka) martinis and see a gin one in my future!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #156
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
Want to be added in this thread, recently started dabbling with Gin, decided to give it a try previous experience was getting drunk at age 11 off a bottle Me and my buddy stole from his parents and got VERY SICK, figured to try it again as an adult. Right now I'm REALLY liking GnT with Sapphire and orange and lime slices. I've always enjoyed dirty (vodka) martinis and see a gin one in my future!
Fresh meat ! ! ! !

Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #157
the MacDonald
Grey beard, funky wierd

First Name: Joe
Trading: (9)
Trinidad
the MacDonald will become famous soon enough

Uncle Val's for the win. A G &T withe Val's is like nectar and the only thing getting through this winter.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #158
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
I recently moved off of Bombay Sapphire and on to Hendricks. Soooo smooth.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #159
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Fresh meat ! ! ! !

muwahahahahahahahahahah!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #160
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Not available here in southern CA - in the stores or even shipped.

I'll be back in CT next month and look for it there.