Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Jokes

Old 01-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Lewis Grizzard: "How to treat a Woman" circa 1991

Hey all...

Ran across this and as a fan of Lewis Grizzard and one who misses this great Southern Humorist... I offer this classic musing.

I was entering a building recently and a lady walked up behind me. I opened the door, stood back, and allowed the lady to go first. She smiled and said, “Thank you.”

I followed behind her and we came upon another door. I waited for her to go ahead. But she just stood there. For a moment, I was puzzled at her delay. Then it occurred to me. She was waiting for me to open the door for her again, which I promptly did. Again she smiled and said, “Thank you.“ How refreshing. It had been a long time since I have run across a woman - and a fairly young one at that - who seemed to want and expect a bit of chivalry from the opposite sex.

I think I can speak for most American men and say we are terribly confused in this day of liberated women. We‘re not sure if women want us to treat them in the old, mannerly way or not. If I open a door for a woman, will she take it to mean I think she’s not strong enough to open it herself and knee me in the groin? Judging from the incident I described above, there may be, in fact, a number of women out there who do still appreciate a bit of gallantry now and then.

I am a bit rusty in this area, so I asked around among my female acquaintances until I found one from the old school who could reprogram me a bit on how to treat a lady.

“Do you know,” she began, “how to approach a revolving door with a woman by your side?“ I had no clue. “You go first,“ she explained, “push the door so the lady can simply walk behind you without having to put out any effort other own.”

There were others:

Walking on the sidewalk. “A man should always walk nearest the curb, in case a car might come along and splash water.”

Lighting a cigarette. “Not that many people smoke anymore, but in case you meet a lady who does, it is appropriate to light her cigarette, if you both are smoking, light hers first. If you use a match, light yours first, so as to take the noxious fumes that erupt when a match is first struck.“

Standing when a lady enters the room. “I still appreciate that. It makes me feel special.”

Helping a lady out of a car. “Offer her one hand and then put the other gently behind her back. Never put both hands on her.“

On elevators. “When leaving an elevator, if it is not crowded, stand aside and allow the woman to walk out first“

I had just one more question:

“What if I follow all these rules but run into a woman who is offended by them, and she knees me in the groin?”

“Once you catch your breath,“ said my friend, “tip your hat and offer her a cigar”

Old 01-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Lewis Grizzard: "How to treat a Woman" circa 1

THX

RIP Lewis
Old 01-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
MithShrike

Wow...
Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Nice.
Grizzard was great.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

To paraphrase Wayman C. Wanamaker, Jr., a great American, "That dog could hunt. ...

Web site for some old articles. Click on columns, ENJOY.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Metalnoise777

Sound advice...lol
Old 01-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Squid
Old Man Herfer

Trading: (1)
VR Navy (Retired)
Squid has disabled reputation

I was a HUGE fan of Lewis Grizzard. Still have many of his books and pull one out periodically to read. Loved some of his book titles, they were as funny as his columns and his books. Examples:

Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun
The Took Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat
Elvis Is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself
Chili Dawgs Always Bark At Night

My favorite...Don't Sit Under The Grits Tree With Anyone Else But Me

His humor is timeless. Had the pleasure of seeing him here in Fayetteville a couple times when he came for shows. A great experience.

My two favorite quotes by the man:

"Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes."

"Instead of getting married again. I'm going to find a woman I don't like and give her a house."

Thanks for sharing the story...he was indeed a national treasure.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I loved ol Lewis, a classic southerner.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
AdamC

I always hold the door for women, but if a guy is behind me, I just let it fall, unless it's a friend.
Nice post I like the ending.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Worth a read...
Old 09-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Every book he wrote is worth reading. Always great stuff.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Good one!!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
dogface_313

Maybe I am showing my youth, but I have never heard of him. After reading this I think I may have to look him up.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface_313 View Post
Maybe I am showing my youth, but I have never heard of him. After reading this I think I may have to look him up.
Trust me you wont be disapointed.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #15
Thaplumbr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Leroy
Trading: (58)
Montecristo
Thaplumbr will become famous soon enough

One of my favorite books was"shoot low there riding shetland ponies", got a pretty good selection of his hardbacks!