Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #81
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Palio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugie View Post
What's a PALIO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langod View Post
Question.
Aren't Xikars considered "better" cutters? With the Xikar Xi at about the same price as the Palio, ($35 vs $40 online) why wouldn't those be more recommended?
I'm a bit of a newbie, and I've never used either one -- just the $2 plastic guillotines, so I don't really know the differences.

The "Palio" that is being discussed here a double bladed guillotine cutter that is patented and made from a coplymer (nothing like the cheap plastic cutters that you are used to). The blades are of a high quality, surgical steel and many (myself include) are the best double bladed guillotine cutter ever made.

I've been using the same Palio as my "go to" cutter for nearly 9 years now and with regular cleaning, it cuts as great as ever.

The two main differences between the Xikar cutters and the Palio cutter is as follows:

1.) The "action".

The Palio is a double bladed guillotine action were as the Xikar is a scissor hybrid action (all the Xikar cutters have the same cutter, just different finishes for the handles).

Preference is solely personal to which action you prefer.

2.) The finish

Many like the metal and wood finishes available with the Xikar (nylon and "Habanos" finishes are available as well).

The Palios come in standard polymer (black, silver and gold) and also come in a faux Burl Wood and Carbon Fiber finish that are laid over the polymer body.

I hope this helps

~Mark

N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #82
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

I have both a Palio and Xicar and I choose my palio over my xicar every time. The Xicar never gives me a clean even cut. It always gives me an uneven 2 level cut. The best description I have heard of the palio cut is a hot knife through butter.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #83
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Even if I had a Palio, I'm fairly certain the XiKar would win out every time... they are just so damned nifty!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #84
Langod
NH Masshole

First Name: Jim
Trading: (3)
Punch
Langod is on a distinguished road

Mark, thanks for the info. I think I'm still leaning towards the Xikar. They look good, and seem to be a bit more pocket friendly.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #85
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I have a Xikar and love it and have thought about buying a Palio but recently I know a few people who are not happy with theirs and even had the opportunity to use a couple and there is no doubt the blades are super sharp but the action seemed a little rough IMHO. Not as smooth as a lot of much cheaper cutters. A person I know on another board also had theirs fall apart on them so I am honestly on the fence about purchasing one, plus I have been going back and forth between my Xikar and a V-Cutter lately so I am in no hurry.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #86
jaymz
God of Preservation

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
jaymz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langod View Post
Mark, thanks for the info. I think I'm still leaning towards the Xikar. They look good, and seem to be a bit more pocket friendly.
Couple of notes:
The palio has a contoured body which is both a pro and a con:

The contour doubles as a cigar rest when an ashtray is not nearby:

A lot of people like to put the cutter on the table, and clip the cigar in the cutter that way. The palio tends to take a lot off due to the contoured shape.

Xikars cuts about half the depth of the palio, but doesn't balance a stogie as sturdily.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #87
OpusEx
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (9)
OpusEx will become famous soon enoughOpusEx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I have a Xikar and love it and have thought about buying a Palio but recently I know a few people who are not happy with theirs and even had the opportunity to use a couple and there is no doubt the blades are super sharp but the action seemed a little rough IMHO. Not as smooth as a lot of much cheaper cutters. A person I know on another board also had theirs fall apart on them so I am honestly on the fence about purchasing one, plus I have been going back and forth between my Xikar and a V-Cutter lately so I am in no hurry.
FYI and for those you know who may not be aware:

We at Palio cigar cutter don't take our slogan "A cut above" lightly, we live by it and think our warranty should epitomize it, so it's as simple as it gets! If you feel that the Palio cigar cutter you purchased has lost it's ability to deliver a quality cut, assuming it has only been used for it's intended purpose (cigar preparation), at anytime during it's life of use. Simply return it to ANY Palio cigar cutter vendor for a replacement. No questions asked! On vacation in another country or state? If there's a Palio vendor near where you're staying, take it there and get a new one. If ANY vendor does not recognize this warranty, please e-mail us info@paliocutters.com and let us know. Lastly, if there is no vendor near someone, they can always return it to BOTL, LLC directly.

Should anyone ever have a question concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact BOTL, as we would welcome the opportunity to address ANY problem one of our customers has or a prospective new customer might want to discuss.
OpusEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #88
Paint

Would like to have one the Xikar is getting old,need some newness with my cutter
Old 12-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #89
Nimbus

First Name: J
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Nimbus has disabled reputation

is wonderful...
Nimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #90
havana_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusEx View Post
FYI and for those you know who may not be aware:

We at Palio cigar cutter don't take our slogan "A cut above" lightly, we live by it and think our warranty should epitomize it, so it's as simple as it gets! If you feel that the Palio cigar cutter you purchased has lost it's ability to deliver a quality cut, assuming it has only been used for it's intended purpose (cigar preparation), at anytime during it's life of use. Simply return it to ANY Palio cigar cutter vendor for a replacement. No questions asked! On vacation in another country or state? If there's a Palio vendor near where you're staying, take it there and get a new one. If ANY vendor does not recognize this warranty, please e-mail us info@paliocutters.com and let us know. Lastly, if there is no vendor near someone, they can always return it to BOTL, LLC directly.

Should anyone ever have a question concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact BOTL, as we would welcome the opportunity to address ANY problem one of our customers has or a prospective new customer might want to discuss.

Now that is standing behind your product..

Wish you had some more stores that carry your cutter here in Germany

I really need to get my hands on one..
Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #91
OpusEx
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (9)
OpusEx will become famous soon enoughOpusEx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by havana_lover View Post
Wish you had some more stores that carry your cutter here in Germany

I really need to get my hands on one..
We're working on it and the European community should see more of our products in the coming year, though there are some who carry it now. I'm also going to get over there in the not too far off future and make you take me golfing!
OpusEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #92
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Just ordered a Palio with the burl wood finish, can't wait til it gets here!
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #93
shaggy
just pokin around.....

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
shaggy will become famous soon enough

palios suck....

actually the xikar is way cooler but the palio works better....so 6 of one,,half dozen of the other
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #94
havana_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusEx View Post
We're working on it and the European community should see more of our products in the coming year, though there are some who carry it now. I'm also going to get over there in the not too far off future and make you take me golfing!
perfect, tell me in advance so I can get things ready..
Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #95
vicvitola

Not a Palio fan.

If I'm not using a punch, I cut with one of these.

Name:  havanna_cuttter-ce.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  10.8 KB
Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #96
Langod
NH Masshole

First Name: Jim
Trading: (3)
Punch
Langod is on a distinguished road

Well, after posting in and getting responses in this thread, I put a Xikar and a Palio on my Christmas wish list, and ended up with the Palio from my wife.

It's very nice. Having never used anything better than the $2 plastic guillotines (or my teeth), I was very surprised at the fantastically smooth and crush-free cut I got the first time I used it.

Quick newb review:
Pros: easy to use, VERY sharp, good size in the hand. It has a detent to help keep it closed in your pocket and a slight concave contour on one side to act as a cigar rest.
Cons: still LOOKS like a cheap plastic cutter. The Xikar form factor is more pocket friendly.

I'm definitely impressed. Recommended.