Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Justin
Trading: (4)
Montecristo
Giants85 is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on Dual Zone wine cooler?

Was wondering what the general consensus was in regards to a dual zone wine cooler and if it was OK to dedicated 1 zone to wine and 1 zone to cigars.

I found a decent price on a dual zone 21 bottle and was thinking of using the top to store around 3-6 bottles of wine at a time and dedicating the bottom portion to cigars.

My first concern is temperature, I would probably be OK storing the wine at 55 in the upper zone and the cigars around 65 in the lower zone.

Would the wine cooler be able to regulate each zone appropriately? I also don't want any excess moisture buildup which might come from keeping the top cooler than the bottom. Although I think any excess moisture can be directed to beads in the bottom of the cooler which will suck it up.

Also, would the cigar aroma and cedar aroma have any effect on the wine?

My understanding is that the cigars would be OK but the wine may suffer, depending on how long they stay in the wine cooler before consuming. Which isn't a huge problem, the main purpose of the wine cooler will be for cigars anyway.

The wine I would store wouldn't be anything super expensive and would probably be consumed within 1-3 months.

What do you guys think?

I would imagine certain wine coolers also do a better job at completely isolating 1 zone from another, I was looking at an edgestar if it means anything.

Thanks in advance, just joined this forum and it really has some great information on it.
Giants85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thoughts on Dual Zone wine cooler?

I would imagine exess moisture will become your bane in this situation. As for specific effects I'm of now help
Old 02-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

Yea that's probably my major issue, I guess it would all depend on how "independent" each section really was.

I suppose i could even throw some beads in the upper level to try and absorb any excess moisture.

Here is the model I am looking at.
http://www.edgestar.com/products/win.../twr215ess.asp
Old 02-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road

Well I personally would switch the order on the items, and place the wine on the bottom at 55, and cigars on top, since warm air rises, and cold air sinks.... just a thought
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
RazzBarlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub13 View Post
Well I personally would switch the order on the items, and place the wine on the bottom at 55, and cigars on top, since warm air rises, and cold air sinks.... just a thought
Yeah, but the bottom's bigger. Get your priorities straight, Jason!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

I don't know why, but my immediate thought is to not do that. First off, you'll need more room for cigars! Get 2 separate units - maybe two vinotemps...one for smokes and one for wine.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow View Post
Yeah, but the bottom's bigger. Get your priorities straight, Jason!
Exactly, bottom is bigger and would need to dedicate that portion for the cigars! The dual-zone is just another selling point for the GF, but the Chasden drawers are really all I needed for that.

And I think theoretically each zone should act independently of one another, so the bottom should be able to maintain 65 while the top was at 55.

Just not sure of how well they actually work.

I suppose worst case scenario (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), if I was experiencing too much moisture build up and/or I was unable to maintain 65 in the bottom for cigars I could always dedicate both sections to cigars. As wine storage is really secondary at this point.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants85 View Post
Exactly, bottom is bigger and would need to dedicate that portion for the cigars! The dual-zone is just another selling point for the GF, but the Chasden drawers are really all I needed for that.

And I think theoretically each zone should act independently of one another, so the bottom should be able to maintain 65 while the top was at 55.

Just not sure of how well they actually work.

I suppose worst case scenario (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), if I was experiencing too much moisture build up and/or I was unable to maintain 65 in the bottom for cigars I could always dedicate both sections to cigars. As wine storage is really secondary at this point.
You are now thinking straight, wine storage is secondary at this point but in a matter of no time the whole thing will be full of Cigars just like mine and all the others. Thus my suggestion is to go forward with the standard 28 bottle that accepts standard ChasDen drawers and be done with it.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

I have read somewhere that the Spanish cedar is not good for wine. I guess the smell is absorbed through the cork or something to that effect.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
I have read somewhere that the Spanish cedar is not good for wine. I guess the smell is absorbed through the cork or something to that effect.
I've read the same, also the aroma from the cigars could potentially permeate the wine. But if I was only storing the wine for short periods, <3 months, I think I may be OK.

I have not seen this particular dual zone model in person and was wondering how isolated each section was? I suppose I could modify the cooler somewhat to provide a better seal between top and bottom, just to add a little extra sense of security.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
You are now thinking straight, wine storage is secondary at this point but in a matter of no time the whole thing will be full of Cigars just like mine and all the others. Thus my suggestion is to go forward with the standard 28 bottle that accepts standard ChasDen drawers and be done with it.
haha yes, you are probably right. I have a feeling when all is said and done that is the direction I will be going.

Just thought this might be an interesting idea, if it can work.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Giants85
Still Watching My Back

Montecristo

...and thats exactly what I did, picked up an open box edgestar 28 bottle from Compact Appliance for $119 free shipping no tax.

Now on to placing my order for some Chasden Shelves/Drawers!!

Thanks for the insight everyone.