Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #41
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2014 MLB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I understand the general sentiment, Don, but it you follow baseball realistically, the Cubs or any MLB team would beat an AAA team 19 times out of 20. JMHO.
Not sure the dominance would be that great, but maybe so. Two things make me question 19 of 20. One, it all depends on pitching, and a young AAA phenom can outpitch a #4 or #5 starter at times. Two, baseball is different than other sports, in that you cannot outmuscle or outphysical the opponent. Grounders bounce funny, pop flies drop for doubles, pick-offs end up in the dugout, some hitter flirting with the Mendoza line goes 4 for 5 . . . baseball's weird. JM , and worth every penny.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #42
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

OK, I'll drop to 17.5 of 20, Thomas.

Scherzer filed for arbitration today, give the man whatever he seeks. He has different colored eyes, for God's sake!!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #43
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Not sure the dominance would be that great, but maybe so. Two things make me question 19 of 20. One, it all depends on pitching, and a young AAA phenom can outpitch a #4 or #5 starter at times. Two, baseball is different than other sports, in that you cannot outmuscle or outphysical the opponent. Grounders bounce funny, pop flies drop for doubles, pick-offs end up in the dugout, some hitter flirting with the Mendoza line goes 4 for 5 . . . baseball's weird. JM , and worth every penny.
Waa??
Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #44
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Waa??
I too am requesting explanations!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #45
ChicagoWhiteSox

Kershaw gets a mega deal
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #46
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I too am requesting explanations!
Not me, I've heard enough

(kidding here Thomas)
Old 01-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #47
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Holy **** .. now he can pull a zito and never be the same.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #48
dman4505
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Don
Trading: (4)
Navy (Served With Honor)
dman4505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I understand the general sentiment, Don, but it you follow baseball realistically, the Cubs or any MLB team would beat an AAA team 19 times out of 20. JMHO.
I do follow baseball realistically and it is my opinion that the Cubs are nothing more than a high priced AAA ball club.

Don
Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #49
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Waa??
I don't understand, since unlike that, my post was in English.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #50
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
I don't understand, since unlike that, my post was in English.
May be in English but that still doesn't make it more understandable than my other post!

MLB Opening Series games in Australia??
Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #51
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman4505 View Post
I do follow baseball realistically and it is my opinion that the Cubs are nothing more than a high priced AAA ball club.

Don
Didn't mean to come off like I am a baseball expert, Don, just know enough to believe an AAA team can't compete with any MLB team consistently. We'll just agree to disagree.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #52
AdamJoshua

Quote:
May be in English but that still doesn't make it more understandable than my other post!

MLB Opening Series games in Australia??
I like it, gives MLB a chance to broaden their market and gives Puig a chance to get arrested for something stupid on another continent!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #53
dman4505
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Don
Trading: (4)
Navy (Served With Honor)
dman4505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Didn't mean to come off like I am a baseball expert, Don, just know enough to believe an AAA team can't compete with any MLB team consistently. We'll just agree to disagree.
That's why I like this place, we can agree to disagree and be civil about it.
I do agree with you that most AAA teams couldn't compete with the upper tier MLB teams on a consistent basis.

Don
Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #54
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
I second this, points A and B. My point was that baseball is, like golf, a sport depending more on skill and execution, and even some luck, than just physical ability, and the best team does not always win. The old axiom is that the worst team in baseball will win 40 games a year, and the best team will lose 40 . . . it's the other 80 that make the difference. Some days your ace loses his arm slot and gets hammered. Some days your hitters are smacking hard liners right at fielders. Some days the ump is squeezing your strike zone, or giving the pitcher all corners and more. I repeat: Baseball's weird. If you don't think so, try making a living betting on games.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #55
AdamJoshua

Quote:
I second this, points A and B. My point was that baseball is, like golf, a sport depending more on skill and execution, and even some luck, than just physical ability, and the best team does not always win. The old axiom is that the worst team in baseball will win 40 games a year, and the best team will lose 40 . . . it's the other 80 that make the difference. Some days your ace loses his arm slot and gets hammered. Some days your hitters are smacking hard liners right at fielders. Some days the ump is squeezing your strike zone, or giving the pitcher all corners and more. I repeat: Baseball's weird. If you don't think so, try making a living betting on games.
You forgot something fundamental, speaking of mental, pressure, you put a AAA team in front of 50,000 rabid fans against a pro team and I would have to say that is going to cause MORE "funny bounces" for the AAA team because they will most likely be more nervous, over play balls, strike out trying to hit a HR in front of the huge crowd. 19 out of 20 might in reality be a bit much, let's go with 17 out of 20 times the pro team is going to win
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #56
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
try making a living betting on games.
Is there an application I need to fill out?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #57
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
You forgot something fundamental, speaking of mental, pressure, you put a AAA team in front of 50,000 rabid fans against a pro team and I would have to say that is going to cause MORE "funny bounces" for the AAA team because they will most likely be more nervous, over play balls, strike out trying to hit a HR in front of the huge crowd. 19 out of 20 might in reality be a bit much, let's go with 17 out of 20 times the pro team is going to win
It is MORE than "funny bonces" I alluded to, but let's leave that aside. My point was that 19 of 20 may be too great a dominance, and you seem to agree. I hear your point about playing in the bigs, but you overlook the fact that a typical AAA team has quite a few players who have already played in the majors, either as veterans or as youngsters or "AAAA" players called up for cups of coffee. Bottom line, the vast majority of AAA players are AAA players because they are considered to be useful to a MLB team, sometimes on a day's notice. If not, they wouldn't be at the AAA level. Plus, more often than not, MLB trades hinge upon which minor-league players the teams are willing to part with, so even the "true" baseball experts realize their value.

Let's take a step back for a minute. This whole discussion began when Mac expressed the hope that his Mets would field something besides an AAA team this coming season. Now, despite all the injuries and problems my Yankees had last year, no one could reasonably argue that they were not a legitimate MLB team despite the fact that they missed the playoffs by a few games. Well, as Mac would proudly boast, his team swept mine in interleague play last year, going 4-0, and thus it could be argued that the Mets kept the Yankees out of the post-season . . . and, if you accept Mac's premise that they were an AAA team, my point is proven.

Now let's step away entirely. Any thought on the Dodgers' monster contract with Clayton Kershaw? Seven years, $215 million . . . for a pitcher?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #58
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Friend of mine here in Cincy is a Chicago refugee..er, transplant and still a Cubs fan. However when the new "mascot" was debuted the other day, he sent them a suggestion for the number on the back of its jersey: 1909. I found that rather funny.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #59
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Is there an application I need to fill out?
Yes, but it is most often call a voluntary committal.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #60
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Now let's step away entirely. Any thought on the Dodgers' monster contract with Clayton Kershaw? Seven years, $215 million . . . for a pitcher?
Insane for any player, especially for a pitcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Friend of mine here in Cincy is a Chicago refugee..er, transplant and still a Cubs fan. However when the new "mascot" was debuted the other day, he sent them a suggestion for the number on the back of its jersey: 1909. I found that rather funny.
NSFW cartoon.

http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsne...ium=socialflow

Watch the video, funny stuff.