Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-19-2023, 11:47 AM   #3321
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
RA
Mikepd has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Have watched two review vids of the Bookers 2023-02, Apprentice Batch. Neither have liked it and say it’s a no buy.
Heard from the bourbon guy at the 'big shop' I get store picks from around me in NY that it's very Oak forward. They should be shelving it soon, so I'm looking forward to Tom's thoughts before buying it.

I got invited to a private Bardstown tasting event later this week at the same shop with Bardstown VP of Product Development. The shop did a single barrel tasting earlier in the year at the distillery of their Origin series, so I'm looking forward to seeing what came out of that!
Mikepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:39 PM   #3322
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikepd View Post
Heard from the bourbon guy at the 'big shop' I get store picks from around me in NY that it's very Oak forward. They should be shelving it soon, so I'm looking forward to Tom's thoughts before buying it.
You won't have to wait long, Mike....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:55 PM   #3323
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road

Hoping I can find some this weekend
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:01 PM   #3324
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

What’s anyone’s thoughts on the JD 12 year? Found a bottle locally, at $90. Didn’t buy, but could go back if it’s worth that price. I’m enjoying my SB barrel strength store pick from another store.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:40 PM   #3325
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if anyone else watches the SLB Drinks folks on YT, but they've got their thoughts on the new Booker's up. They don't recommend it. Their one positive: good mouthfeel.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:44 PM   #3326
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

RA

Quote:
What’s anyone’s thoughts on the JD 12 year? Found a bottle locally, at $90. Didn’t buy, but could go back if it’s worth that price. I’m enjoying my SB barrel strength store pick from another store.
MSRP I think is around $80 and in the capital region of NY, I've only seen it for $200 and above! For $90 I'd give it a shot, worst case, share it with some friends!

For comparison for $90 I can get two HH BIB, or, a bottle of 9yr KC store pick and a bottle of OGD 114, or, WT Rare Breed and OGD 114 and a few bucks left over, or, a bottle of Barrell 34 and a cheap lunch!
Old 06-20-2023, 05:24 AM   #3327
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I don't know if anyone else watches the SLB Drinks folks on YT, but they've got their thoughts on the new Booker's up. They don't recommend it. Their one positive: good mouthfeel.
That was one of the review vids I watched. The other was The Mash and Drum. His video wasn’t even 6 minutes long, he hated it that much.

Quote:
MSRP I think is around $80 and in the capital region of NY, I've only seen it for $200 and above! For $90 I'd give it a shot, worst case, share it with some friends!

For comparison for $90 I can get two HH BIB, or, a bottle of 9yr KC store pick and a bottle of OGD 114, or, WT Rare Breed and OGD 114 and a few bucks left over, or, a bottle of Barrell 34 and a cheap lunch!
Thanks Mike. Unfortunately my friends are more the mixer crowd. Not worth buying it to mix with Coke. As for the HH, I have such a hard time paying the price they want for it now that it’s widely distributed. When I would travel to Kentucky for work I’d pick it up for $15.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:16 AM   #3328
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

JD12 is going for $275-300 on secondary Bob. I have a bottle and it's tasty but I much prefer the JD Barrel Strength picks. For $90, I'd at least buy it for trade bait.

I'll probably try the new Booker's before watching any reviews so I can go into it without preconceived notions.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-20-2023, 11:39 AM   #3329
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
JD12 is going for $275-300 on secondary Bob. I have a bottle and it's tasty but I much prefer the JD Barrel Strength picks. For $90, I'd at least buy it for trade bait.

I'll probably try the new Booker's before watching any reviews so I can go into it without preconceived notions.
Looking forward to seeing what you think, so I know what to do if I see one this weekend
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 01:43 PM   #3330
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobradude View Post
Looking forward to seeing what you think, so I know what to do if I see one this weekend
I plan to get to it soon, Clay.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:46 PM   #3331
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Snagged a bottle of Sazerac Rye for not a lot over msrp.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:12 AM   #3332
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Killed off my Copper Sky single barrel, it wasn't even in the same league as the last CS I had (Hazmat bottle).

Old 06-21-2023, 12:39 PM   #3333
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Someone help me stop! Lol. Went hunting upper east side of metro Detroit. Heard from a few owners near me that the upper east side gets more allocated stuff. Figured what the heck. Total Wine was a bust. Store worker tried to push their cheap juice off onto me. No thanks. Next store I went to had good selection, with some really nice store picks. Talked to the owner for a bit. They work off a point loyalty system for their allocated stuff. Because he was the first one with a KC barrel pick, I grabbed one of those. Then went with his recommendation on the MM stave finished bottle (they had two different selections). Because I was grabbing those, he let me get the Eagle Rare at msrp. The Saz is from yesterday.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #3334
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

RA

Quote:
Someone help me stop! ...
Old 06-21-2023, 02:14 PM   #3335
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Bob is plunging headfirst down the rabbit hole!
Old 06-21-2023, 03:19 PM   #3336
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Old 06-21-2023, 03:33 PM   #3337
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

You guys aren’t helping. Trying to decide which one to crack open later. Need to set my palate before continuing with Ben’s blind tastings.
Old 06-21-2023, 04:19 PM   #3338
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

RA

Quote:
You guys aren’t helping. Trying to decide which one to crack open later. Need to set my palate before continuing with Ben’s blind tastings.
Here's some help, open them all and start sampling!
Old 06-21-2023, 07:03 PM   #3339
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Here's some help, open them all and start sampling!
Cracked open the MM. the nose was fantastic. The taste, not so much. Very much dominated by the wood staves used to finish. But, it was the first pour, hopefully it gets better now that the bottle has been opened.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:15 PM   #3340
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

RA

Picked up a Penelope 4 Grain Barrel Strength (116.6 Proof) tonight. It's been quite a while since having this and thought it would be worth giving a revisit to since MGP acquired the brand recently and some of the Penelope labels will likely become partially allocated soon.