Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough
Default What's in your bowl: Hookah addition

I grabbed the hookah this weekend and put a solid 4 hours on it!

Enjoyed some Grape, Strawberry, and double apple. I really enjoyed my reading time next to the hookah.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's in your bowl: Hookah addition

Spearmint is always one of my favorites, but I went with White Grape yesterday and it was surprisingly good. Was wondering if I was the only hookah enthusiast around these parts, nice to see another one out there.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
Spearmint is always one of my favorites, but I went with White Grape yesterday and it was surprisingly good. Was wondering if I was the only hookah enthusiast around these parts, nice to see another one out there.
Spearmint, huh? I may have to look into that.

I probably haven't smoked my hookah in a year or so. I used to smoke it almost every day at lunch... when I was single.

I need to actually buy new grommets and gaskets. They are starting to crumble.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
mahtofire14

Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I had a really nice one until last winter when myself and a buddy were a little intoxicated and left it out in my garage and the water in the base froze and broke the base. Now I just go to the hookah bar down the road. Spearmint is awesome. It's like you just brushed your teeth everytime you inhale.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

You can buy the vases separately.

http://www.hookahhookah.com/store/ho...ass-vases.html
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

I'm a fan of the flavored coals as well. It was pretty neat to try a strawberry flavored coal with another fruit flavor Shisha. You can get some pretty delicious combinations going!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
mahtofire14

Bolivar

Got a link? I've never heard of those coals.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
Got a link? I've never heard of those coals.
Was at a friend's house the very first time I tried them, and we had it burning for a good few hours. I may or may not have been consuming that night, so memory is a bit fuzzy....

Anyway, here's a website that offers a few flavors. If you look around, they shouldn't be too hard to find. Hope this helps!
http://www.southsmoke.com/cat_charcoals.cfm
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

I had a mix of peach and vanilla last night. My go to flavors are mint, peach, mango, apple, double apple, blueberry, and watermelon. If you guys get a chance look up tangiers shisha, it is the best stuff I have ever had. Its a bit difficult to get it to smoke right at first, but once you get it, it cant be beat.

I have been looking forward to trying the new starbuzz/acid line I have always liked acid cigars...im expecting this shisha to be damn good as well.

I gave up my humidor and cigars a few years ago for hookah....my girlfriend now fiancee did not like me smoking cigars at the time but enjoyed hookah. I got her hooked on it, and now she is coming around to cigars.....order some cao flavors next time around....think she might get the cigar bug as well
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

My go-to vendor is http://www.hookahhookah.com
They sell a lot of primo Shisha and pretty good coals, too.

I have always been partial to lemonwood coals, but I have a hard time finding it. I bought some coconut natural coals, but haven't tried them out yet. I always try to recommend natural coals over the self starting coals. No chemicals and they just smell better.

I also bought some shisha that is actually shredded tea leaves and not tobacco. Thought I would try out a few flavors. It may also be a little more house-friendly. I will report back my experience.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
I also bought some shisha that is actually shredded tea leaves and not tobacco. Thought I would try out a few flavors. It may also be a little more house-friendly. I will report back my experience.
Let me know how that works out for you...I definitely want to purchase my own hookah soon, an would love to smoke something that doesn't stink up the house too bad.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Hookah packs a punch that makes cigars seem like child's play!

Keeping the coal from getting the shisha too hot is my biggest complaint with my current bowl. I am using the small coals and small bowl. Next time I use it, I'll try less holes in the foil and maybe filling it a hair less.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

I have always been told that smoking from a hookah just smokes the molasses off the tobacco and very little (some) tobacco is actually turned into smoke.

I guess I am not exactly sure what to expect with this tea-typed shisha.

By the way, if you want your house to smell good, change the coals. Promise you, the coals make a huge difference. My wife loves the smell of the lemonwood in the house.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
RHerrington
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rick
Trading: (0)
RHerrington is on a distinguished road

Just bought a small tin of Starbuzz's exotic line - UFO. Not nearly enough smoke from this shisha, but the tastes are good.

After that, I went for some Starbuzz Pirate's Cave. It's one of my newer go-to flavors, and it mixes extremely well with all of the flavors I've tried to mix it with, so that's a plus.
RHerrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

crimps, check out coconaras there is only a slight odor when lighting, none while smoking. I usually have 2 on at a time and they last for about an 1-1 1/2 depending on how many people are smoking and how much.

You are correct, we are really only heating the tobacco and juices not burning them which is why it is smooth, also why there is no tar. This is also the reason why we can use tea leaves or even stones.

IMHO stay away for any herbal, tea and stone concoctions, I have never found any of them to be good, also I have had friends get pretty sick from the herbal blends.

I have been smoking hookah daily for about 4-5 years now Rob use www.hookah-shisha.com check out one of the small-med single hose egyptians with a nammor hose. This setup should be $100 or less and is a great deal for a starter set. They normally run sales on their shisha, and coals are the prices are fair. Stay away from the romman shisha and quicklight coals, this stuff is garbage which is also why it comes free with the hookah.

BTW just ordered some of starbuzz acid purple shisha, cant wait to try it!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
RHerrington
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdx88 View Post
Rob use www.hookah-shisha.com check out one of the small-med single hose egyptians with a nammor hose. This setup should be $100 or less and is a great deal for a starter set.
I'd highly recommend a Mya Saray QT hookah for a starter one. It was my first hookah, and I keep it around for when I go camping or to a cabin for a weekend. Very solid construction, the base is wide and sturdy so you don't have to worry as much about tipping it, and you can upgrade them later to be two hoses instead of just 1 if you have friends over. And best of all, they are cheap.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

+1 for the mya I forgot about those. Also a good idea is order a ton of shisha and coals to get a free hookah!

Just smoked the starbuzz acid purple, it was great, one of the best smokes I had in a long time!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

RA

Lets talk hoses.

I have had really poor luck with hoses over the years. I have essentially rebuilt my hoses using rubber cement and a hot glue gun. I find that many times the hoses leak at the tip, at the handle, and even at the other end, too. I even received a hose in which the wood at the bottom end was cracked. I ended up using rubber cement to actually make a permanent gasket.

I would recommend to everyone to cap the end of the hose with your thumb and blow into the mouth piece. Make sure your hose doesn't leak. If it does, a little glue or cement can usually take care of the problem.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
mahtofire14

Bolivar

The only times I've had leaks in my hoses was after a year or so of use. Had three different ones and they all crapped out around a year of use.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
RHerrington
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
Lets talk hoses.
I bought two Nammor hoses a couple years back and have not had a single problem with either of them. Well, not with the hoses. I accidentally dropped the plastic mouthpiece on a tile floor at a cabin and it broke in half, but that was my bad.