Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #21
lou2row

Default Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post

I've always wanted to try the Limitada. Not a bad stick, but I think they may need to lower their prices for me to buy a box.

This is the mildest flavorwise of the limitadas. I prefer this to the 2007, but I like the 2008 best of the 3. Only 2005 I had I got pretty f#$@ed up on scotch while smoking it and don't remember much.
Bought some 2009s but am yet to try one.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #22
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post
Only 2005 I had I got pretty f#$@ed up on scotch while smoking it and don't remember much.
Lol
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
EEE

Exclamation Re: Blind ten spot review Part Two

Quote:
[b]Cigar #1
Construction: 6x52 torpedo, light/medium brown wrapper

Pre-Light: smooth w/ a cedar taste

1st Third: Earthiness and sweetness upon lighting. Very mild so far. Earthiness has subsided, leaving a sweetness and woody flavor. Nose exhale is smooth.

2nd Third: Sweetness persists. Woody flavor is faint. Earthy/leathery flavor returns. Sweetness dissipates by the end of this third. Leathery flavor is the only flavor detected at this point.

Final Third: Leathery flavor continues. Started to get harsh with about an inch and a half left. Purging couldn’t get rid of the harshness so I put it out.

Final Thoughts: This cigar wasn’t bad. Nothing exceptional, but not bad. I enjoyed the sweet flavors in the first two thirds. The wodiness was nice as well. I was somewhat glad for the harshness to arise midway into the final third, as it gave me an excuse to put it out. It lasted over two hours, and I was getting antsy to go back inside. Would I smoke this cigar again? Yes, although I’d probably enjoy it in a robusto size (and a maduro wrapper if possible) the next go-a-round.
EEE #2
Smoked in car driving from NYC to Philly. Yes I travel a lot... And typing reviews on my blackberry is interesting sometimes.
Pre-light draw: without doubt I get a very strong cooking chocolate flavor. Very interesting.

First third: draw is perfect. Ash is straight as an arrow and I get a bit gunshy in the car with ash falling. So I ashed it but with difficulty as it held on tight. Flavor of cooking chocolate still there but am nowetting that earthy taste we are all familiar with.

Second third: draw and ash stay same. Perfect. A very odd thing happened in this part of the cigar. I start getting a tangy metallic taste. It isn't bad but something I've never tasted in a cigar before.

Last third: metallic isone and is now taken over with a faint sweetness that is more like fruit sugars than "sweet". Draw and ash continue to impress.

This was the strangest cigar profile I've ever smoked. Because of that I would be interested in trying more. Overall construction was absolutely perfect.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #24
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Cigar #2

Construction: 5.5x50 torpedo, dark brown wrapper
The wrapper cracked when I cut it.

Pre-Light Draw: cedar and slight coffee flavors, smooth draw

1st Third: Very pleasant aroma upon lighting. Coffee and chocolate flavors prevalent. A bit of spice and citrus are detectable through the nose. Citrus is becoming more prevalent. I'm detecting a slight bubblegum flavor (bubblegum flavor like the old sticks of gum that used to come in packs of baseball card packs, the kind with the heavy powder/chalk that prevents the gum from sticking to the cards).

2nd Third: spice through the nose is stronger, the strength of this cigar is also increasing. Much more full-bodied. The second third is dominated by strong coffee flavors.

Final Third: The cracked wrapper at the end is becoming a problem; the wrapper is starting to unravel as a result. Starting to become harsh. Coffee is still strong (black coffee).

Final Thoughts: This cigar was very enjoyable until the last inch and a half. The first third was very complex, then became pretty one-dimensional. Would I smoke this cigar again? YES
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE View Post
EEE #2
Smoked in car driving from NYC to Philly. Yes I travel a lot... And typing reviews on my blackberry is interesting sometimes.
Pre-light draw: without doubt I get a very strong cooking chocolate flavor. Very interesting.

First third: draw is perfect. Ash is straight as an arrow and I get a bit gunshy in the car with ash falling. So I ashed it but with difficulty as it held on tight. Flavor of cooking chocolate still there but am nowetting that earthy taste we are all familiar with.

Second third: draw and ash stay same. Perfect. A very odd thing happened in this part of the cigar. I start getting a tangy metallic taste. It isn't bad but something I've never tasted in a cigar before.

Last third: metallic isone and is now taken over with a faint sweetness that is more like fruit sugars than "sweet". Draw and ash continue to impress.

This was the strangest cigar profile I've ever smoked. Because of that I would be interested in trying more. Overall construction was absolutely perfect.
I put the right reviews together for you, Eric.

I think the fruit sugar you detected is the bubblegum and citrus flavors I detected. They sound similar enough. Nice review.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #25
EEE

Thanks bro. I don't usually bring a laptop with me so its hard for me to quote text.

Smoking #3 tonight.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #26
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks bro. I don't usually bring a laptop with me so its hard for me to quote text.

Smoking #3 tonight.
I figured it was quoting on the Blackberry that did it. I gotta catch up. Been busy getting everything ready for school.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #27
lou2row

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland
Cigar #2

Construction: 5.5x50 torpedo, dark brown wrapper
The wrapper cracked when I cut it.

Pre-Light Draw: cedar and slight coffee flavors, smooth draw

1st Third: Very pleasant aroma upon lighting. Coffee and chocolate flavors prevalent. A bit of spice and citrus are detectable through the nose. Citrus is becoming more prevalent. I'm detecting a slight bubblegum flavor (bubblegum flavor like the old sticks of gum that used to come in packs of baseball card packs, the kind with the heavy powder/chalk that prevents the gum from sticking to the cards).

2nd Third: spice through the nose is stronger, the strength of this cigar is also increasing. Much more full-bodied. The second third is dominated by strong coffee flavors.

Final Third: The cracked wrapper at the end is becoming a problem; the wrapper is starting to unravel as a result. Starting to become harsh. Coffee is still strong (black coffee).

Final Thoughts: This cigar was very enjoyable until the last inch and a half. The first third was very complex, then became pretty one-dimensional. Would I smoke this cigar again? YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEE
EEE #2

This is a cigar I took a chance on, having heard nothing about it. I have enjoyed these for the last couple of years. I believe it is an exclusive of Famous cigars. The coffee, chocolate, wood and citrus are all flavors I've also noted on this cigar.

Cigar #2 is:

Alec Bradley Medalist
Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #28
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Smoking #3 now. I will have the review up this evening.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #29
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #3

Construction: 6x49 dark brown, very blotchy wrapper

Pre-light: Smooth draw. Cedar and oak flavors detectable.

1st Third: Nutty and spicy are the first flavors detectable. Very harsh through the nose. Cedar flavor is strong as well. I am also detecting somewhat of a mint flavor that pairs well with the cedar.

2nd Third: Nuttiness comes back to the forefront with a slight bit of coffee flavor as well. Cedar returns at the end of the 2nd third.

Final Third: I smoked this cigar for two hours and never made it to the final third. I had to put it out in order to make it to work on time.

Final Thoughts: I'm not usually a fan of strong cedar flavors in a cigar, but the dark wrapper brought other flavors that paired well with the cedar. I liked it!

Insert quote here.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #30
EEE

Smoked #3

I hope this doesn't offend you Lou..

Horrible.

Period.

Initial light up the foot explodes like one of those gag cigarettes. First inch it looked like mt St. Helen blowing ash. With that going on I coyldnt concentrate on taste.

Work it past that and then I can relax, right. Wrong. the only thing I got out of it was chalk.

At the half way point I threw it out.

Gross.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #31
EEE

We smoked two different cigars... We had to have.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #32
lou2row

When I pulled the cedar wraps off of these cigars, this is the first time I had seen them be this mottled.

This is a cigar that generally gets high reviews from folks. It is the only cigar I have picked up hints of rosemary in it. I have several boxes aging in various sizes, and each size brings a different complexity. One of my favorite sticks that can be had on auction for around $2 a cigar.

Cigar #3 is:

5 vegas A

EEE, you called it like you seen it. Nothing you can do if you get a bad cigar. Sorry it came apart on you. Hopefully the rest smoke better for you. No worries my friend.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #33
lou2row

Oh, and if it is possible, could you smoke #6 with coffee as your drink of choice? Don't mean to squew the results, but that cigar is a different animal when coupled with a good cup of joe. I just want you to have the most enjoyable time with each cigar, and #6 I don't like as well with anything else.

If you don't drink coffee, it is still a fine stick.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #34
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

5 Vegas As are great cigars IMHO. Never had a cedar wrapped one though. That explains the extra cedary taste. I've seen some blotchy looking wrappers on the A series.

I may smoke #6 out of order in order to pair it with coffee, but will do.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #35
lou2row

Well, this is going well so far, and I'm having fun with it. Wish Mark would have hung around for commentary, his take on sticks is enjoyable to read.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #36
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #8

Construction: 5x50 medium/dark brown wrapper, solid, two rough veins on this stick

Pre-Light: smooth draw, cedar and mildewy citrus flavors

1st Third: Harsh on the tongue upon lighting. A slight citrusy flavor with heavy cedar flavors are detectable. Coffee with cream flavor starts to kick in. Wrapper issues plague this cigar from the start; it's not wanting to stay lit.

2nd Third: I'm getting a slight Padron flavor: coffee with a mix of pepper and nutmeg. Wrapper issues persist.

Final Third: Pepper, sweet, coffee, and nutty flavors all at once on the finish. Wrapper issues still are a problem. I had to re-light this cigar every five minutes or so.

Final Thoughts: Other than the wrapper issues, this was an excellent cigar. Maybe some more rest or dry-boxing for a while would solve the wrapper issues.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #37
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Here are the two reviews together.
We seemed to experience different flavors in this stick, but it looks like both enjoyed the flavors that this cigar had, and both of us had wrapper issues.

Quote:
well I just loaded up my photo and it was horrible (not in focus).

I smoked cigar #8 due to my time restrictions on Sunday morning.

Construction: ~4.75x46 (didn't have my gauge with me) brown wrapper with a red tint (sumatra?), no veins and an extreme soft spot in the middle of the stick.

Pre-Light Draw: I don't drink coffee but this had the same smell as freshly ground & roasted coffee beans, which is enjoyable.

Initial Draw: Little sweetness. If the wrapper was splotchy I'd guess that it was a sungrown, but it doesn't lend itself to that. Has a very interesting taste of wood that has just been cut and sanded, you know how it has a sweet smell to it.

First Third: Slight bitter through the nose, copious amount of smoke on each draw, dry wood flavor overwhelming -- then the burn issues start. Within 10 minutes it goes out twice. Then the draw becomes extremely loose.

After the 2nd re-light I was just working on trying to keep it lit. Didn't work. After it went out the 3rd time I tossed it. I was very disappointed as the first third had me interested in what it had to offer. The taste was good but unfortunately the construction killed it.

Pre-burn out - would have paid $4/5 stick
Post burn out - would pay $1-2/stick
Quote:
Cigar #8

Construction: 5x50 medium/dark brown wrapper, solid, two rough veins on this stick

Pre-Light: smooth draw, cedar and mildewy citrus flavors

1st Third: Harsh on the tongue upon lighting. A slight citrusy flavor with heavy cedar flavors are detectable. Coffee with cream flavor starts to kick in. Wrapper issues plague this cigar from the start; it's not wanting to stay lit.

2nd Third: I'm getting a slight Padron flavor: coffee with a mix of pepper and nutmeg. Wrapper issues persist.

Final Third: Pepper, sweet, coffee, and nutty flavors all at once on the finish. Wrapper issues still are a problem. I had to re-light this cigar every five minutes or so.

Final Thoughts: Other than the wrapper issues, this was an excellent cigar. Maybe some more rest or dry-boxing for a while would solve the wrapper issues.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #38
lou2row

I've only had #8 a couple of times, but have enjoyed each one enough to have bought several more fivers. I believe I had wrapper issues on one of them, now that you've mentioned it. These may do well to be dry boxed. I have had these for probably 6 months. A good friend and discerning cigar smoker (C3S) turned me on to these.

Cigar #8 is...............

Por Larranga cuban grade maduro
Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #39
EEE

I don't think I've come across this stick before and would be interested in trying another one even with the wrapper issues, because, like I said, the taste was very intriguing.

#4 tomorrow night
Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #40
EEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post
Oh, and if it is possible, could you smoke #6 with coffee as your drink of choice? Don't mean to squew the results, but that cigar is a different animal when coupled with a good cup of joe. I just want you to have the most enjoyable time with each cigar, and #6 I don't like as well with anything else.

If you don't drink coffee, it is still a fine stick.
I'll do what I can to find a dark tea - as I don't drink coffee. Look forward to what that cigar is going to be like.