Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #5741
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
Then I would HAVE to buy a rifle... I like the position it puts me in. Let me know when you order one and ill probably be in!
Ok, I thought you had a rifle
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #5742
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Not yet. I've been wanting to build my own ar15 though for awhile. Its either that or a 1911 and since I have a pistol now it'll probably be the ar15 build
Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #5743
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not yet. I've been wanting to build my own ar15 though for awhile. Its either that or a 1911 and since I have a pistol now it'll probably be the ar15 build
Build away, now that HOPEFULLY prices will not be so crazy since the AWB was scrapped.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #5744
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Thankfully! I might end up just going with a bushmaster or dpms though. I'm already in the process of starting my reloadig bench so to add another bench with all the tools might be too much.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #5745
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Build away, now that HOPEFULLY prices will not be so crazy since the AWB was scrapped.
Doubt it. People are still feeding the frenzy. Went to the gun show last month and was SICKENED at the gouging.

Concerning AR's, I HIGHLY recommend building your own lower, then buying a complete upper. That's how I built my Spike's Tactical AR. I used Magpul MOE furniture and Spike's lightweight upper. Weighs 10 pounds loaded with a 30-round mag.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #5746
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thankfully! I might end up just going with a bushmaster or dpms though. I'm already in the process of starting my reloadig bench so to add another bench with all the tools might be too much.
Here's a decent deal on a DPMS.

http://www.lanworldinc.com/index.php...art&Itemid=116

Never dealt with them, but they're a vendor on AR15.com.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #5747
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Here's a pic of what my Wife wanted for her 25th Wedding anniversary (Hey, it's got silver on it...)
Kimber CDP II .45

It took her about two days to realize she didn't want to share and said "You know, we should really get you a new gun too" lol, so back to the store on Sunday and I came home with a Sig Sauer P250C .45 that I'm really enjoying. Point and pull, it hits what you aim at.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #5748
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Nice pick ups!! The 1911 has always been one of my favorites. Tons of history and just an amazing gun!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #5749
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Shop around for deals. Check out slickguns.com for deals/in-stock sightings and ar15.com. They have threads there devoted to finding uppers, lowers, BCG's, and mags.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #5750
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nice pick ups!! The 1911 has always been one of my favorites. Tons of history and just an amazing gun!
I'm saving up for a ruger sr1911 right now. It'll be my first 1911. A buddy of mine has one and I need to get my own to shoot.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #5751
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

I watched some ar15 builds on youtube and it seems easy enough. Hardest part for me will be not losing the springs and pins haha. If I don't build me own I have my eyes set on the m&p 15-T. Otherwise from what I've heard and understand (correct me if I'm wrong) is the lower can be made of cheaper parts but the upper is what really matters? I would definitely stick with bigger name brand parts and if I build it, it won't be a cheap. But if I was to save money would it be on the lower?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #5752
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

Picked up a used Kel Tec Sub 2k Glock 17 model with three mags. Gonna take it out and give it a run this weekend. Now if I can only find the elusive PMR-30 by obession with Kel Tec will be over........for now.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #5753
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok, the more I think about my trigger options the more I'm not sure which direction to go. Which one of these options would you go with?

1. ALG Milspec trigger + misc lpk + KNS antiroll pins + JP Springs ($130)
2. Spikes enhanced LPK ($200)
3. Misc lpk + Geissele SSA + KNS antiroll pins ($250)
I'm a fan of a Bill Springfield's trigger work: http://www.triggerwork.net/arparts.html

Depending on pull weight preference (2.5, 3, or 4 lbs) it'll run you $89-109 for the trigger group parts. I've got the 2.5 lb group on a target gun and I love it, don't think you can come anywhere close to this without doubling the price.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #5754
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...so to add another bench with all the tools might be too much.
Quote:
I watched some ar15 builds on youtube and it seems easy enough. Hardest part for me will be not losing the springs and pins haha. ...But if I was to save money would it be on the lower?
I've built three AR lowers on my kitchen island, you don't need a bench. If I remember right, the only tools necessary are a few punches, a hammer, an AR-15 armorer's wrench, a screwdriver or hex wrench (depending on grip choice), and a block of wood. The last one only took an hour. You're right about the springs. Not a bad idea to buy an extra detent pin & spring, or two or three. If you have to buy it after your parts kit, paying $8 shipping on a $2 part will drive you mad, but it's not so bad if it's all together.

You won't really save much money building a lower, maybe $100 at best (full disclosure - it's been at least 6 months since I checked prices). What you will get is the opportunity to build exactly what you want. No sense buying a basic lower and then swapping out the grip, stock, trigger, etc. Build it yourself and you're not buying parts you won't use.

If you're in one of the soon-to-be 'ban states', make sure you at least get your stripped lower ASAP.

Last edited by Mark C; 05-03-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #5755
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I've built three AR lowers on my kitchen island, you don't need a bench. If I remember right, the only tools necessary are a few punches, a hammer, an AR-15 armorer's wrench, a screwdriver or hex wrench (depending on grip choice), and a block of wood. The last one only took an hour. You're right about the springs. Not a bad idea to buy an extra detent pin & spring, or two or three. If you have to buy it after your parts kit, paying $8 shipping on a $2 part will drive you mad, but it's not so bad if it's all together.

You won't really save much money building a lower, maybe $100 at best (full disclosure - it's been at least 6 months since I checked prices). What you will get is the opportunity to build exactly what you want. No sense buying a basic lower and then swapping out the grip, stock, trigger, etc. Build it yourself and you're not buying parts you won't use.

If you're in one of the soon-to-be 'ban states', make sure you at least get your stripped lower ASAP.
Yea the tools are very minimal and I thought you would need a lot more. If I build my own I'm definitely going to build exactly how I want. Some of the premade upper kits though don't look too bad and are exactly what I want. I'm thinking 1-8" turn with a 16" barrel definitely want rails too.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #5756
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

I put this together in about 30min yesterday using a screw driver, adjustable pliers, and a castle nut wrench. Could have finished faster but I was watching the NBA playoffs. This was only the 2nd lower I put together

Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #5757
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, store by me had a LOT of .22 Remington in stock. Picked up 3, 525rnd boxes and 1 50rnd box of Ultramax .223.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #5758
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

I priced out a rough build and it came out to about 1200. But with any diy build you always figure extra so I'm thinking 13-1500. Which also happens to be how much a m&p 15t would be.. roughly maybe a little less.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #5759
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Wow, store by me had a LOT of .22 Remington in stock. Picked up 3, 525rnd boxes and 1 50rnd box of Ultramax .223.
Bob your in the metro area aren't you? We should do a herf'n'shoot sometime!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #5760
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Bob your in the metro area aren't you? We should do a herf'n'shoot sometime!
Yep, and I'd be up for it.