Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Fresh REALLY Fresh Cigars

I just picked up some custom rolls, I'm posting this here because I never could find a straight answer on where the tobacco comes from, I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about so no names are needed.

This is the second bundle I've grabbed, the first seem to have been rolled and drying for a spell, these are pretty spongy and and damp. If I sit the cigar down it won't quite go out after a couple minutes so I figure they could be worse, my question is about dry boxing these.

I put about half of them in a SLB in my humidor to sit, I put a few in the top drawer and I have some that I'm considering dry boxing, 3 or 4 as a test, outside the cabinet in another SLB.

I know rollers will grab some leaves, roll them up and smoke them, my question is should I bother dry boxing them, will it help or will it just dry out the wrapper and give me a wonky smoking experience.

I glanced through the first page or so and I don't know how to use any kind of search feature at all, I'd rather ask people
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fresh REALLY Fresh Cigars

After smoking about half way through one of these I see that they are fine how they are, still interested in people's opinion on dry boxing fresh cigars though.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Stage one: talking to oneself.

Stage two: talking to oneself on the internet...........

Smoke one now after dry boxing. Any ammonia? Let them age.
If they are only "wet", just let them sit until they pass the squeeze test.

Last edited by galaga; 02-22-2016 at 10:15 PM.
galaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Use a blow dryer and turn it on medium heat or put them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Depending on the humidity in your humi... Obviously if you have it set higher, than what's the point of "dry boxing" them? If it's set lower, then I see a point.
When I'm dry boxing anything, I will typically not put it in the humidor. I'll throw some in a SLB and leave them out for a few days or a week.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I wouldn't dry box, as in outside a humidor right off the bat. I have a roller near my house that I buy from regularly. His cigars do great with a couple years in the humidor. Smoke fine fresh too FWIW.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Dux
Lebowski Urban Achiever!

Trading: (24)
Partagas
Dux has disabled reputation

I smoked our custom rolls right from the table. I also like to toss a bundle or two into the humidor for a month or longer @ around 65RH.

Even fresh I never had a cigar go wonky, just a bit more squishy in the fingers when holding it.

-Dux
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
AdamJoshua

Thanks for the input all, for the most part they smoke well, again sometimes they need to be hit with the draw tool. No real ammonia, a bit with an inch or so to go on one of them but I was ready to pitch it anyway.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #8
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Hey, can yooz guys PM me a link? I love trying custom rolls.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
AdamJoshua

Just for the record, today I was smoking another and used a large (straightened) paper clip as a draw tool and it worked wonderfully. A regular draw tool is too thick for some of these smaller ring gauges, you know when you get those little (or big) cracks in the wrapper, the paper clip doesn't have that issue.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Hey, can yooz guys PM me a link? I love trying custom rolls.
Sorry, Mark. No Posting Links To Any CC's Allowed Per Forum Rules.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Sorry, Mark. No Posting Links To Any CC's Allowed Per Forum Rules.
What he said
Old 02-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Just for the record, today I was smoking another and used a large (straightened) paper clip as a draw tool and it worked wonderfully. A regular draw tool is too thick for some of these smaller ring gauges, you know when you get those little (or big) cracks in the wrapper, the paper clip doesn't have that issue.
I have a small drill -- 1/32nd I think, that is 6 inches long and I use it as a draw tool. The nice thing about it, is that rather than poking a hole, you can actually drill with it and remove the tough spots.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
AdamJoshua

I have a nice / pretty nice draw tool that size but with the wet leaves the clip just seems to work better. I took 50 boxes of paper clips home from work and I'm going to set up a cottage industry selling "bendable draw tools" online, might branch out into B&Ms at some point but I'm going to definitely start small.