Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough
Default Power tool advice?

I'm in the market for a compound miter saw, air nailer, and air compressor for general household repairs. As a new homeowner I'm constantly learning about home improvement projects. Until now I have managed all repairs using the few tools that I own and tools that I have rented and/or borrowed. The first investment I made was in a 4 piece 18V Lithium tool kit including compact drill/driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw, and flashlight. Basically I'm looking for advice on which brands/features/etc. to look for and things to avoid. For example, I borrowed a miter saw from a co-worker to cut crown and base. It didn't take long for me to understand why it's important to have a high fence when cutting crown in position. Also, installing crown without a air nailer is a huge inconvenience. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Lensjockie

Default Re: Power tool advice?

If you have a northern tool and equipment that is where I purchased q 100 gal air compressor.

Dewalt has a good reputation, but the best stuff I've see is from Milwaukee.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Funny Justin, I was at Lowe's last evening shopping myself.
One thing that I have learnt over the years is to make sure you look at the items you normally wouldn't and ya get what ya pay for.

Example:
My cheap ass Skill Jigsaw and circular saws. They do the job OK.... but who woulda ever thought that I should have looked more closely at the cords when I was buying them. They are a stiff plasticized PITA and get in the way of cuts constantly. My Milwaukee stuff has a nice, soft, pliable cord. They are also removable, replacable, and interchangeable.

Three brands I wouldn't hesitate to suggest:
Milwaukee
Hitachi
DeWalt

Lowe's has some great deals right now on a couple of Dewalt Compound Mitre Saws.
There is also a 12" Hitachi for a steal.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensjockie View Post
If you have a northern tool and equipment that is where I purchased q 100 gal air compressor.

Dewalt has a good reputation, but the best stuff I've see is from Milwaukee.
Highlighted in red
Old 01-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Three brands I wouldn't hesitate to suggest:
Milwaukee
Hitachi
DeWalt
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

While we're on the power tool topic.... check this out... http://www.sawstop.com/?gclid=CLr8qK...FQTxDAodf3Z1vg

Watch the videos. Amazing , yet simple.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
While we're on the power tool topic.... check this out... http://www.sawstop.com/?gclid=CLr8qK...FQTxDAodf3Z1vg

Watch the videos. Amazing , yet simple.
Cool technology. I imagine when it does kick in it's hell on the saw blade, brake, and motor (it digs right into an aluminum block, stopping it cold). Better replacing those than a finger though!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquirit View Post
Cool technology. I imagine when it does kick in it's hell on the saw blade, brake, and motor (it digs right into an aluminum block, stopping it cold). Better replacing those than a finger though!
Oh yeah, it destroys all that (except for the motor If you pay close attention, it stops within approx 3 saw teeth and cuts power as it does that) but a couple hundred bux is well worth the alternative.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquirit View Post
After the blade hits the stopblock, it's a gonner. IIRC, there's a shear pin in there that breaks to protect the motor from damage and allow the blade to drop out of the way.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I love DeWalt.
Pricey but man do you get what you pay for.

I have a number of Craftsman items also. They have been very reliable.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
SilverFox

Beauty is in the eye of the tool holder.

I have had not great experience with DeWalt but I cannot kill my Milwaukee tools and trust me I have tried. (CutsAll, Hammer Drill, Planer, Two other cordless drills)

As for a compressor I have only one recommendation - do not get an oil less compressor - this comes directly from the man I respect most when it comes to tools and fixing things and that is my uncle who is (retired) a heavy duty diesel mechanic. He made that one recomendation and I listened, I have a great Campbell Hauser that only has a smallish tank but powers my brad nailer, my finishing nailer, my air grinders, air ratchet, impact wrench, hardwood floor nailer, and even a framing nailer that I rented. So unless you are going to tax it heavily a 100 gal air container takes up unneeded room.

On the miter saw I have a 10 inch Milwaukee that has cut thousands of board feet of lumber from everything from rough carpentry, molding, PVC, HD Fiber Board. If it had been available I would have got the 12" Milwaukee. The miter saw is the workhorse of my tools and I never do any jobs without it. I have had friends laugh at me when I show up to help when I bring my own saw but soon the Milwaukee is the only saw running.

Just my like I said first it is all in the eye of the tool holder.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
Hitagain
Bomb'n relocation program

First Name: Allen
Trading: (7)
SCdlH
Hitagain is on a distinguished road

DeWalt is always my first choice.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Don
Trading: (2)
junkinduck is on a distinguished road

I feel qualified to advise on this. I am three years into building a log home and have bought and tried a lot of stuff. As for compound miter I wouldn't trade my slider. I am fortunate to have an older DeWalt DW708 which is heavier than the present DW718. If you can find one I would recomend the DW708 but good luck. My friend has a Dewalt non sliding and although a great saw it is tough to cut 8" t&g siding on a 45 deg. I did a lot of this on the house. If I were buying new I would look at ridgid from HD. They have a life time warranty on a lot of there power tools even the batterys. I have some of there battery stuff and am pleased with it.
Nailers are a broad subject. I have several and it all depends on the job what I use. I have a paslode hoseless butane framer that I love. Paslode also makes a butane finnish nailer. I have borrowed the finnish gun and it worked well. This would keep you out of the compressor market. For finish nailers I like the 15 gauge angled finish nailer. It shoots a round nail and is easy to get in tight spots. Mine is a dewalt D51276K and it has been good to me. I like paslode stuff though both butane and pnumatic. A guy that helped me on the house had a dewalt cordless electric nailer that he bragged on and he was a pro contractor, I didn't try it.
Compressors are a budget thing. I have a big two stage in the shop and got tired of dragging hosr across the yard so I bought a cheep noname pancake that has run the air nailers for a year now without a problem and it is oil less. I wouldn't reccomend oil less but it was cheep and not my primary compressor. I also tried the belt clip CO2 regulator (jac pac) uses a paint ball bottle I have mixed fellings about it. I wouldn't get it unless it was cheep, you didn't have a lot to do, and you had a fill station near.

Hope this helps
junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Just remember that there's a difference between the tools you see in Home Depot or Lowes (screwguns, etc) and the versions that contractors are able to get. The screwguns we have at work are a better quality than those in the store.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #15
Ty Atkinson

Alot of it is going to depend on what you want to do, you kinda sound like me do it yourselfer on alot of small house projects and want the tools to make life a little easier.

I bought a package deal at sears that came with the compressor below and a set of 3 nail guns. and i bought just one of there base model mitre saws, a rip saw is wonderful to have if you actually plan on cutting longer material.

I also have one of there table saws that i picked up on sell.

Never once have had a problem, but i do have a 100 gallon in the workshop for running air tools etc, but the pancake one below works beautifully with nail guns and other small projects.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5215000P?mv=rr
Old 01-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #16
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

If I am making a living at it I would get higher line tools but (you can call me cheap now) if I am using a tool very infrequently I get those from Harbor Frieght. For example I wanted a screw gun in the house for blinds, misc repairs etc.

15 bucks for 18v cordless drill with a light and it works fine for the tasks a hand.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #17
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Atkinson View Post
Alot of it is going to depend on what you want to do, you kinda sound like me do it yourselfer on alot of small house projects and want the tools to make life a little easier.
I will use the miter saw primarily for molding, shelving, and general carpentry. The compressor will be used for tires, nailers, paint sprayer, and impact wrenches. As far as nailers the only one that I probably wouldn't have a use for is a framing nailer. Finishing and brad nailers will be used most of the time.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #18
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I will use the miter saw primarily for molding, shelving, and general carpentry. The compressor will be used for tires, nailers, paint sprayer, and impact wrenches. As far as nailers the only one that I probably wouldn't have a use for is a framing nailer. Finishing and brad nailers will be used most of the time.

I bought this off a guy on Craigslist last year (It was still sealed in the box) for just such uses. Works pretty good, but a little loud. I paid $225 and Home Depot wanted $299 + tax.
My brother-in-law has one as well and uses it when he builds fences. Although he bought a better nail gun to use with the compressor.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-C.../dp/B000HZGTIA
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #19
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
For impacts, you would generally need more volume than what a pancake compressor could provide. Unless, you want to have it run constantly or recharge between difficult nuts/bolts.

IMHO 10 gallon minimum for impacts/automotive air tools. Otherwise you'll end up drinking too much beer while waiting and it will become counterproductive.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #20
junkinduck
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Don
Trading: (2)
junkinduck is on a distinguished road

A compressor to run an impact needs to be at least 10 cfm. Not very portable and not too handy for household repair. A pancake is hard pressed to run an impact. Buy two compressors or the paslode butane or like I did for a while buy a lot of hose.
junkinduck is offline   Reply With Quote