Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Team that wins 100-0 apologizes

Darn if I know what to think of this.
They were High Schoolers.
They showed up.
They got slaughtered.
I remember a similar beating one year in grammar school on my basketball team. I think the final score was like 70 something to less than 5.
We picked up our butts and moved on.
No one complained on our behalf.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Team that wins 100-0 apologizes

No need to apologize. That only makes the story bigger. I've played lots of sports and have been on both sides of the blowouts. Sandbagging is a bigger offense IMO.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I remember once in HS, our soccer team lost 13-0 (a huge loss in soccer) to a team that went on to states. We got over it. To be honest in today's BS "everyone's a winner" uber-PC world, I'm surprised they didn't offer grief counseling to the losing team.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

When I was in highschool soccer and we were destroying another team our coach wouldnt allow us to score anymore.

It was more a gesture of sportmanship than anything else.

This coach should have backed off a bit when his team was almost up 60-0 at the end of the 2nd quarter. At least let them get a few points on the board!

Im all about letting kids feel what loosing is like, but this is just poor sportsmanship IMO.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
tobii3

Sportsmanship is DEAD thanks to the PC weenies.

Remember all the kids that were bench warmers because they SUCKED??

They are the parents now. DO the math.

Funny thing....when we got our asses handed to us, we practiced that much harder to make sure it didn't happen again.

You think these kids learn anything when you ""pad"" the games??

Junior can't throw the ball...but he should play. Maybe Junior should PRACTICE to become BETTER???? Nah, that would make sense, wouldn't it??
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Sports is where kids learn what real life is all about. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. The harder you try the better chance you have at being a winner. Then with team sports you learn that and then learn that you are only as good as your weakest player, which is another good life lesson for kids as they grow up.
I have a feeling that this team gave up and are just as responsible for the lopsided loss as the team that beat them.
I also agree that the PC world has killed youth sports and it is showing more and more as these kids grow up and have been pampered in life and not had the ability to learn what being a loser feels like and learn to cope with it and move on, instead their first failure is in adulthood and some are never able to recover from it.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
shvictor
Instigator

First Name: Steve
Trading: (40)
Partagas
shvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post

Funny thing....when we got our asses handed to us, we practiced that much harder to make sure it didn't happen again.

Junior can't throw the ball...but he should play. Maybe Junior should PRACTICE to become BETTER???? Nah, that would make sense, wouldn't it??
Preach it brother
Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Bolivar

Quote:

Thanks for the morning chuckle.
Although true, nevertheless funny.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:

This is why I'm sick of parents and their crusades. "We need to change for the children!" I'll admit it, I flat out hate people's children. I hate that they're sacred cows and self righteous losers are making up for their own hurt feelings by babying the next generation. If a cause has children involved, get ready to give them whatever they ask for. Cases in point: MADD, Efran Marrero Foundation, etc.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
No need to apologize. That only makes the story bigger. I've played lots of sports and have been on both sides of the blowouts. Sandbagging is a bigger offense IMO.
FWIW, this story is being blown out of proportion on the internet. This is the first time I've heard about it and I live in Dallas. I haven't seen any mention on the local news.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

(Ok, I'm probably going to hell for what I'm about to say, but it struck me as funny as crap...)

The losing team was Dallas Academy. From the article:

"The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with “learning differences,” such as short attention spans or dyslexia."

Short attention spans? Well, no wonder they lost. Can you imagine how that basketball game looked? I mean, the quarters are, what--12 minutes long?

(Yes, I can joke about it because I deal with ADHD in my own family.)

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
(Ok, I'm probably going to hell for what I'm about to say, but it struck me as funny as crap...)

The losing team was Dallas Academy. From the article:

"The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with “learning differences,” such as short attention spans or dyslexia."

Short attention spans? Well, no wonder they lost. Can you imagine how that basketball game looked? I mean, the quarters are, what--12 minutes long?

(Yes, I can joke about it because I deal with ADHD in my own family.)

Man, not laughing at the issue. Just the thought of what you said.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

whats this apology crap? did Patrick apologize when he whooped your a$$?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've coached soccer and softball for the last 20 years. Two teams a year, usually.
I have never and will never tell my kids to let up, or to play at less than 100%. If that means winning 100 to nothing, so be it.
What I do to try to balance a pounding is to load up with second stringers. If they continue to whallop the other team, that's a great accomplishment for those kids, too.
Those girls worked hard and should benefit from the feeling they get from a good win.
The kids who got their asses handed to them can learn just as much.
I do agree that there's a "line". There's always an argument about where that line is because this world is so chock full of pussies nowadays.

We used to play State College in basketball when I was in High School. They'd regularly beat us by a 70 point margin. I scored 5 points against them once (from second string) and it felt like the greatest accomplishment of my life to that point, despite the fact we lost by 80 or 90 points.

I can see why the girls on that club were excited, they were about to score 100 points and I'm sure that's something they've never done.
Why a team of that caliber was playing a team full of girls with "learning differences" is a good question. Hopefully someone learned that it's not a good idea to take a knife to a gun fight.

The coach did let up with 4 minutes left in the game after he allowed the girls to achieve the 100 point mark. The Dallas Academy girls said "they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite."

I think the grownups involved need to grow up.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
Yazzie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mark
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Yazzie will become famous soon enough

Man, I am sick of this but it did get me thinking.

What bothers me is we have become such a PC society that now everyone has to defend their actions and the principal of the winning HS wants to forfeit the game. Yes, the winning HS principal wants to forfeit the game because they won.

Hell, when we were kids and got our ASSES kicked in sports what did we do? We worked that much harder to make sure it didn’t happen again right?

Think back: when we played sports what happened to the kids who SUCKED (Including us)? They/We rode the bench and they/We rode the bench until:

A: They/We figured they/We didn’t like the sport much and just stopped playing. Nothing wrong with that

B: They/we really enjoyed playing but figured out quickly that in order to get better some hard work was going to be needed. Yes it may be a tough concept for some of this society’s parents to grasp but maybe Junior needs to actually Practice (“Practice?” Yes Iverson) to get better at something. What a silly concept huh?

But now you have youth sports where everyone plays and everyone wins and everone gets a medal and frankly it’s one big Cum-By-Ya . What the Hell has happened to competition?

The PC Weenies have really put a damper on youth sports and competition and the life lessons that it teaches children that they can use throughout their lives….

Junior can’t throw the ball but Junior should play…….Maybe Junior should practice MORE to become BETTER? Nah, that would make too much sense now wouldn’t it?
Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #16
tnip23
New Patriotic Dissenter

First Name: Troy
Trading: (2)
Partagas
tnip23 is on a distinguished road

From what I read elsewhere the winning team only had 6 players, so putting in the second string wasn't really possible. Also heard the losing team is withdrawing from the league for the rest of the season. I hope the winners don't go through with there plans of forfeiting the game, wins and losses happen, you should be able to learn from both.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Losing 100-0 definitely isn't a confidence booster but what goes around comes around and that's what must be remembered. Throughout your time playing athletics you are going to be on both side of these beatings and I really see no reason to forfiet a game. At least 100 points is a common occurrence in basketball if you want to see a real beating check out when Slovakia beat Bulgaria 82-0 in an Olympic hockey qualifying event.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,106362
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
LordOfWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
When I was in highschool soccer and we were destroying another team our coach wouldnt allow us to score anymore.

It was more a gesture of sportmanship than anything else.

This coach should have backed off a bit when his team was almost up 60-0 at the end of the 2nd quarter. At least let them get a few points on the board!

Im all about letting kids feel what loosing is like, but this is just poor sportsmanship IMO.
I've been a coach (soccer) and I've put restrictions on who can score and set up more like training scenario in games that got out of hand. It's poor sportsmanship, bottom line.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #19
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfWu View Post
I've been a coach (soccer) and I've put restrictions on who can score and set up more like training scenario in games that got out of hand. It's poor sportsmanship, bottom line.
WHAT??

Quote:
I've put restrictions on who can score
What kind of coach are you??

If the player can score, DO IT!

Quote:
training scenario in games that got out of hand.

The game IS the show, NOT the training!!

WTF?? Next you're gonna tell me that the '85 Bears should have just quit playing the Super Bowl so the Patriots wouldn't take such a colossal, lopsided beating??

Your coaching skills STINK!!!!

You say it's poor sportsmanship to demonstrate WHO wants to actually EXCEL at the sport??? Why should we have the Olympics?? Why should we have the World Championships??

Why bother COMPETING if you aren't going to declare a WINNER????
Old 01-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #20
tobii3

alrighty, let's take a walk down history lane....

The Japanese kicked our ass at Pearl Harbor December 7th, 1941....what did we do on August 6th and 9th in 1945??

Who won?

Do you HONESTLY think that kids will learn a lesson by declaring everyone a "winner"??

There HAS to be a Loser. Simple fact of life.

Yin/Yang.....Good/Evil.....Winner/Loser.....There has to be a BALANCE.

One of the greatest Inventors of our time had the most profound wisdom.....

Quote:
Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
and my favorite one....

Quote:
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.