Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #161
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation
Default Re: iphone 4 just announced.

pretty good comparison chart done by PCWorld. hopefully we can stay on track today.

Last edited by newcigarz; 06-08-2010 at 03:44 AM.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #162
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thanks, Tony!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 AM   #163
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Those are from dropping it on the edges, it applies much more force to a smaller area. I've had friends that were unlucky enough to drop theirs right on the corner and completely spiderweb the screen and it's still been completely usable. I've also seen Blackberry's, including most of the work units at my office, that have stood up far worst to much less abuse and look like total ass within 6 months of being issued.

It's all in how well you take care of your stuff. If you were one of the kids on teh playground that was always abusing their toys and breaking them then any smartphone is probably not the best purchase decision. If you're careful with it, especially if you buy a case, your iPhone will look exactly the same in a couple years as it does the day it comes out of the box.
"Otter Box"! Virtually Indestructable!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #164
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Quote:
PC market I can't see, Mac's are simply too expensive for most people to buy as the cheap commodity the average consumer expects a computer to be now. Mac's will always be a niche market primarily targeted at graphic and video industry professionals and urbanite wannabee's with too much money looking for the "in" fashion accessory.
Whether you see it or not, it's happening. It's exactly this attitude that hurting PC makers and Microsoft, for that matter. You're stuck with a *very* outdated view of Macs that simply doesn't fit the reality of the current situation. Furthermore, you're stuck with some bad math that doesn't really take software and user productivity into consideration. There's very good evidence out there to show that iPods and iPhones have become the Mac gateway drug: average people use them, like them, and then check out the computer and have the same experience. That's been the case for more than a dozen of my friends and, as of this new buying cycle, just about every colleague in my department (they're nearly all replacing their Dells with Macs ... and we are a Dell campus in significant ways).

Anyway, I don't even know why I feel compelled to rehash an argument that's been going on for a couple of decades and is totally outmoded. Some people just "can't see" ... but I think that's mainly because they refuse to open their eyes.

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #165
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
PC market I can't see, Mac's are simply too expensive for most people to buy as the cheap commodity the average consumer expects a computer to be now. Mac's will always be a niche market primarily targeted at graphic and video industry professionals and urbanite wannabee's with too much money looking for the "in" fashion accessory.
Ignorance.
Not trying to be offensive at all so please don't anyone take it that way.
Just using the word as described in the dictionary - lack of knowledge.
I think it is ignorant to assume this.
I bought my MacBook because of ease of use, features, reliability, lack of viruses which I was tired of getting on my PC.
I have yet to pay it off over two years later (same as cash for 36 mths) so certainly had nothing to do with having too much money on my hands.
As far as an "urbanite" wanna be, by definition, since I actually live in a "city", I don't need to be a wannabe.
As far as fashion, yeah, guilty. I like being fashionable. I like toys. I like my BMW, my Rolex, and nice clothing. Doesn't make me a bad person or even a murderer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Whether you see it or not, it's happening. It's exactly this attitude that hurting PC makers and Microsoft, for that matter. You're stuck with a *very* outdated view of Macs that simply doesn't fit the reality of the current situation. Furthermore, you're stuck with some bad math that doesn't really take software and user productivity into consideration. There's very good evidence out there to show that iPods and iPhones have become the Mac gateway drug: average people use them, like them, and then check out the computer and have the same experience. That's been the case for more than a dozen of my friends and, as of this new buying cycle, just about every colleague in my department (they're nearly all replacing their Dells with Macs ... and we are a Dell campus in significant ways).

Anyway, I don't even know why I feel compelled to rehash an argument that's been going on for a couple of decades and is totally outmoded. Some people just "can't see" ... but I think that's mainly because they refuse to open their eyes.

Last edited by Blueface; 06-08-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #166
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Some people just "can't see" ... but I think that's mainly because they refuse to open their eyes.
Coming soon to a Starbucks near you:
Quote:
Steve Jobs guide us. Steve Jobs teach us. Steve Jobs protect us. In your iLight we thrive. In your iMercy we are sheltered. In your iWisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our iLives are yours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #167
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Steve Jobs guide us. Steve Jobs teach us. Steve Jobs protect us. In your iLight we thrive. In your iMercy we are sheltered. In your iWisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our iLives are yours.

I am always truly and genuinely fascinated by human behavior. Aside from being a frustrated attorney wanna be, I think I am frustrated shrink wanna be.

I truly can't comprehend what drives human behavior to feel compelled to criticize or attack what someone else likes if it does not conform with what one likes.

This Mac/PC debate is as silly as what topping is best on pizza. Who gives a rat's ass? It is what ever you feel like putting on it that you like.

My neighbor across the street lives in the same type of home I have, same street, same Boca Raton. I drive a BMW 330CI while he drives a 10 year old Toyota Corolla. Who is PC and who is Mac here? Who cares? It is all about what makes him happy and what makes me happy. I couldn't give a crap if he sells tickets to bang his wife.

If I enjoy Apple products, I am a brainless Steve Jobs follower? That crap is offensive and I truly think folks should sometimes shove their opinions where the sun doesn't shine when not asked.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #168
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Coming soon to a Starbucks near you:

Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah yeah ... Jobs is a messianic figure. Again -- rehashed, old joke. I don't worship him. The company he's built and the vision he's offered, though, has fundamentally changed the world of computing and electronics more than once. The difference in today's world, however, is that *Apple* is actually benefiting from those advancements, unlike the old days when others (like Microsoft) would rip off the ideas and prosper at the expense of Apple.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #169
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I truly can't comprehend what drives human behavior to feel compelled to criticize or attack what someone else likes if it does not conform with what one likes.
Just having a little fun with the pro-Apple attitude that the rest of us don't get it. Glad you felt the need to lash out, though...
Quote:
...and I truly think folks should sometimes shove their opinions where the sun doesn't shine when not asked.

Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #170
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Just having a little fun with the pro-Apple attitude that the rest of us don't get it. Glad you felt the need to lash out, though...

Posted via Mobile Device
It wears thin after a while to basically be called a moron in so many words because of what your preferences are.
If I corner a rat, I can only expect he will attack to defend himself. I think if folks dish out insults, one can only expect some sort of retaliation at some point.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #171
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

ok ok enough of the crap throwing. If you like Apple products, buy them. If you dont, move along.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #172
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
ok ok enough of the crap throwing. If you like Apple products, buy them. If you dont, move along.
words of wisdom.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #173
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

I really can not wait to get one in my hands. that screen is going to be incredible.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #174
Wanger

Quote:

My neighbor across the street lives in the same type of home I have, same street, same Boca Raton. I drive a BMW 330CI while he drives a 10 year old Toyota Corolla. Who is PC and who is Mac here? Who cares? It is all about what makes him happy and what makes me happy. I couldn't give a crap if he sells tickets to bang his wife.
Is she hot?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #175
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Is she hot?
So, so.
Tickets will definitely be reasonably priced.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #176
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
I really can not wait to get one in my hands. that screen is going to be incredible.
6/15 is on my calendar with an appointment to visit the Town Center Mall.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #177
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann

Quote:
6/15 is on my calendar with an appointment to visit the Town Center Mall.
We should schedule some "Facetime".
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #178
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Oh crap!!!

Tony,
Totally forgot.
Will be in Long Island the week of 6/14 on business.
Will have to pre-order online, unless there is an Apple store near my hotel out there.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #179
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Can I schedule some when I get my first ever iPhone?

I've got the DrMS talked into it. The only question is *when* we're gonna do it. End of the month (26th) is the earliest possible given the ETF we'll have to eat for her line.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #180
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Can I schedule some when I get my first ever iPhone?

I've got the DrMS talked into it. The only question is *when* we're gonna do it. End of the month (26th) is the earliest possible given the ETF we'll have to eat for her line.
Funny you say that.
My wife normally just wants an old fashioned cell phone (flip phone if possible) and nothing else and is now intrigued by this feature.
She may not settle for my 3G hand me down and may want one of her own from the sounds of it.