Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #141
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread

ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #142
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #143
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

All this fish tank talk made me go get my diatom filter out of the shed.
I gotta polish that tank up a bit.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #144
BC-Axeman

Cool thread! I have a 120 gal. and a 10 gal. nano. Six or seven years old. My wife kept the nano at work at her previous job. I'll have to clean them enough to take pics.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #145
darb85

Ugg, The place I orderd my tank from said that there was a price change and they arent honoring my order! bastards. Theyll sell me one for 220 now instead of the 176 I ordered mine for. that should be illegal! in fact think it might be but oh well. Dont buy from aloha aquariums!

Oh well, it may be good that it happened. Im starting to debate starting a 50 gallon tank with a remote sump I dont know which way to go! only thing ive ever had a hand it was my dads old fish only tank. had a 15inch Lion fish in it. Was the coolest thing ever. sold that sucker for almost 2000 bucks to a private collector, apperently its rare that they are that big for very long. Went into a 2000 gallon tank, still there too.

anyways. Off to my search. IM still thinking nano though, but ill be using the mini skimmer i saw too. who knows, well see gah, so many options!

Im so screwed.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #146
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb85 View Post
Ugg, The place I orderd my tank from said that there was a price change and they arent honoring my order! bastards. Theyll sell me one for 220 now instead of the 176 I ordered mine for. that should be illegal! in fact think it might be but oh well. Dont buy from aloha aquariums!

Oh well, it may be good that it happened. Im starting to debate starting a 50 gallon tank with a remote sump I dont know which way to go! only thing ive ever had a hand it was my dads old fish only tank. had a 15inch Lion fish in it. Was the coolest thing ever. sold that sucker for almost 2000 bucks to a private collector, apperently its rare that they are that big for very long. Went into a 2000 gallon tank, still there too.

anyways. Off to my search. IM still thinking nano though, but ill be using the mini skimmer i saw too. who knows, well see gah, so many options!

Im so screwed.
Check Doctor's Foster and Smith.
They're a class outfit with top notch stuff at very fair prices. You won't take an Aloha-style screwing, either.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #147
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
an Aloha-style screwing, either.
that CAN be fun, but it really depends on the size of her coconuts!!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #148
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
that CAN be fun, but it really depends on the size of her coconuts!!
Good job pointing that out, my perverted little buddy.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #149
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Good job pointing that out, my perverted little buddy.
I figured since I have nothing of value to add to this discussion I would help in ANY way possible!!!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #150
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Check Doctor's Foster and Smith.
They're a class outfit with top notch stuff at very fair prices. You won't take an Aloha-style screwing, either.
That was my place to go to for years, even going back to when they were called Pet Warehouse.
Used them extensively until I eventually got my wholesale tax license for the business.
Their prices are quite close to that of wholesale, or at least as close as one can get. Much, much cheaper than local shops and very reputable.
Another very reputable mail order one that is out of PA is "That Fish Place".
Just as good. Also ordered quite a bit from them.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #151
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
That was my place to go to for years, even going back to when they were called Pet Warehouse.
Used them extensively until I eventually got my wholesale tax license for the business.
Their prices are quite close to that of wholesale, or at least as close as one can get. Much, much cheaper than local shops and very reputable.
Another very reputable mail order one that is out of PA is "That Fish Place".
Just as good. Also ordered quite a bit from them.
That's amazing. They're the only other ones I've ever used.
I just ordered parts for my Diatom filter from them a few weeks ago cause they're the only ones that carry them.
The only thing I can say negative about That Fish Place/ That Pet Place is that I've called them for a couple things and talked to everyone in the store and no one knows anything about what they're selling.
One time I just gave up.
I've always wanted to visit their store but it's about 4 hours away. I'm not that excited about it.
My all-time favorite store is Elmer's in Monroeville, PA. It's a smelly little store but at a time they had the best selection of fish anywhere. Good and healthy, too. They've slipped in recent years but sometimes they're good and sometimes not. I still stop every time I go by.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #152
BC-Axeman

In the San Jose area, this store is incredible. A little high priced but very good. Dr. Le is the best adviser I have ever found. He sets up and maintains commercial aquariums. Tiny little hole-in-the-wall store that is jamb packed with some of the most beautiful aquariums.
http://www.aquatic-gallery.com/
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #153
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
That's amazing. They're the only other ones I've ever used.
I just ordered parts for my Diatom filter from them a few weeks ago cause they're the only ones that carry them.
The only thing I can say negative about That Fish Place/ That Pet Place is that I've called them for a couple things and talked to everyone in the store and no one knows anything about what they're selling.
One time I just gave up.
I've always wanted to visit their store but it's about 4 hours away. I'm not that excited about it.
My all-time favorite store is Elmer's in Monroeville, PA. It's a smelly little store but at a time they had the best selection of fish anywhere. Good and healthy, too. They've slipped in recent years but sometimes they're good and sometimes not. I still stop every time I go by.
My brother in law actually went out there from NJ.
He liked driving to it.

Another one I just thought of that although I never bought as much from as the other two I mentioned, I did buy from them and they do have a massive, massive location about a half hour from me is BigAl's.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #154
UPHOTO

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (7)
Montecristo
UPHOTO is on a distinguished road

Boy......

I stayed away from this thread as long as I could.

It breaks my heart that I don't have a tank anymore. I'll start one up again one day for sure but here are some pictures of the one I used to have about 4 years ago.

90 gallon corner unit

By far my favorite in the tank was this blue carpet and it's buddies
UPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #155
UPHOTO

Montecristo

Really miss it.....

Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #156
UPHOTO

Montecristo

Wish I had some close ups of the Ricordia in that first picture on the right side of the tank.

They were gorgeous!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #157
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPHOTO View Post
Wish I had some close ups of the Ricordia in that first picture on the right side of the tank.

They were gorgeous!!!
The very top tank pic is the best. It's like a snapshot of a real reef.
I'm excited about the coralline spreading over the rest of the new rock I have in my tank. It'll do so much for "the look".
It's kind of neat how age and patience play into reefkeeping maybe even moreso than cigarkeeping.
I think cigars may be more work, though.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #158
darb85

LFS got me going here. 25lbs fuji, 29G BioCube enough sand for 3 inch base, 400GPH Power head with wave thingamabob rotator thingy. Some Cheato(free) a small light to put above chamber for cheato. Stealth heater. I think thats it... Rock comes in tomarrow, I get first pick, but i have to cure in Kinda nervous for this. and the smell.

Thanks for enspiring me to spend more money!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #159
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb85 View Post
LFS got me going here. 25lbs fuji, 29G BioCube enough sand for 3 inch base, 400GPH Power head with wave thingamabob rotator thingy. Some Cheato(free) a small light to put above chamber for cheato. Stealth heater. I think thats it... Rock comes in tomarrow, I get first pick, but i have to cure in Kinda nervous for this. and the smell

Thanks for enspiring me to spend more money!
You got no animals, you can cure it right in the tank.
Everything saltwater smells. If it doesn't I'd be concerned.
You learn to love it.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #160
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

I shouldn't have asked.
I should have just gone ahead, dragged the 55 out of the garage, set it up in the office room in the house, bought all the crap I need on the business card so she won't see it and I would have had a reef running already as a second tank again, at WHOLESALE!!!
Instead, I ask if I could.
Am I a child?
Did I need to be excused in class to go to the bathroom?
Did I forget my hall pass or something?

Crap!!!
Man I fear that woman.