Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #141
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
With a gotee I have leak issues. Interested in options for those of us with goats. :SS

Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #142
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I use my CPAP just fine with my goatee...just have to test it every now and again to ensure the seal is tight. Does your machine self test?
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #143
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I use my CPAP just fine with my goatee...just have to test it every now and again to ensure the seal is tight. Does your machine self test?

Ummmmm
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #144
Junior

My wife is going in for her sleep test tonight.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #145
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
My wife is going in for her sleep test tonight.
Please tell her congrats from me!!

Anyone else have any updates?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #146
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Thanks for the link. Never knew they made such a mask. Never done the pillows, seems like they would "hurt" but might try it to get away from the full mask.

Thanks again.

Edit: Adding a thought.

Maybe I should ask what type works best for a mouth breather with a goat? Any thoughts on this?
I use the nasal pillow... works well with my beard/goatee. The wife says I was a mouth-breather when I slept prior to getting the machine. I have always had a deviated septum and some congestion issues that caused me to breathe through my mouth when asleep.

Since getting the machine, I don't breathe through my mouth anymore. The positive pressure of the air has opened my nasal passages enough that I don't need to open the mouth. Plus, the mask seems to "encourage" me to keep my jaw closed. Not in an uncomfortable way, but it does help.

The nasal pillow:

Hope you find something that works, bro!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #147
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

My name is Christian and I have sleep apnea.

I went to a well-regarded ENT and told him about my sleep difficulties. My wife often noted that I choke or gasp in my sleep. The ENT ordered a 2-part sleep study. I have completed both parts and have my follow-up with the ENT tomorrow. I'm guessing he will order me to get a CPAP machine.

We'll see what happens next.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #148
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Saw the doc today. I have mild/moderate apnea. My RDI was 10.3. My lowest O2 saturation was 86%, which was the number that disturbed him. I should have my CPAP machine in less than 2 weeks.

On a positive note, he said that with the CPAP machine plus losing weight (I am severely overweight, almost 375 lbs at a height of 5'8") I will be able to avoid surgery. They also scoped my nose and throat and found normal anatomy. No polyps, ulcers or lesions. A little bit of allergy-related redness, but nothing to worry about. Oh, and I have a deviated septum because of breaking my nose so many times in wrestling.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #149
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Christian...don't you just love doctors?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #150
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Christian...don't you just love doctors?
Actually, I lost my teaching job and am currently on Cobra. I'm trying to get as much medical stuff done as possible while I can afford it, since I've already met my deductible. I've had 4 surgeries in 5 months, stocking up on my BP and thyroid meds, got allergy tests and the sleep studies done.

The thing that SUCKS for me is that because of the surgeries (which were on a tender area,) I am in horrible pain and can't exercise even though I want to. There are times when literally every step is agony. I'm practically living on Vicodin and muscle relaxers. I see that doc tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #151
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Sorry to hear about all the pain...good news is you will be healthier after all is completed!!! Wishes and prayers your way Christian!!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #152
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

Just had a fun MRI of the brain today. Sleep apnea does complicate things even when you are awake! I have trouble breathing without the CPAP and lying on my back without moving for 45 minutes was a real joy. Plus, no anxiety meds because that would slow the breathing too much and complicate an already challenging situation!!

Yay for sleep apnea!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #153
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Just had a fun MRI of the brain today. Sleep apnea does complicate things even when you are awake! I have trouble breathing without the CPAP and lying on my back without moving for 45 minutes was a real joy. Plus, no anxiety meds because that would slow the breathing too much and complicate an already challenging situation!!

Yay for sleep apnea!
I feel you on that...wife had an MRI last week...1 hour and 45 minutes..."don't move, watch your breathing", while the machine makes ungodly noises (wife said it sounded like it was falling apart). Hope I never need one of them!!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #154
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I hate MRI's, when I had my MRI when they tested me for my apnea I had my first and only panic attack I ever had.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #155
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

I don't think I would be cooperative inside a metal tube...at all!!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #156
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
Trading: (3)
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

Wow, I've read through a lot of the posts here and maybe I need to look into my sleep apnea treatment again.

I have a CPAP and a full-face mask, I hate it. I used it nightly when I was married but got divorced last year and quit. I had leaks around the mask, even after trying several masks, and I don't recall feeling any better using it. It did stop my snoring but that's the only thing I know that it did for me.

However, here lately I've been feeling pretty drained. I attributed it to stress (like the divorce and some other things) but I see a lot of the way I feel may be a result of the sleep apnea.

I spend a lot of my day yawning, I never feel rested, energy is low... my biggest concern is my inability to get focused - my head just feels foggy or staticky, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the thread, I'll definitely need to look into this some more.
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #157
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

This thread has been quiet for about a week now...any updates???
Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #158
Junior

Well I should have put this update in a long time ago, but time has slipped by. My wife picked up her CPAP machine on Wednesday last week. It is an adjustment for her getting used to having it, but she seems to be sleeping better. She also noticed that she has more energy now as well.

I first thought when she was prescribed the CPAP that I would need to start sleeping with earplugs again, but you can barely notice it running.

She spoke with one of our son’s therapist, and her husband is now scheduled for a sleep study as well.

One last thing. She is now wearing a mask that covers her nose, but it is uncomfortable is there a better option?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #159
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

small up date: my twin brother went in for a sleep study and came out with a machine. I'm making my appointment for next week sometime...
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #160
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Well I should have put this update in a long time ago, but time has slipped by. My wife picked up her CPAP machine on Wednesday last week. It is an adjustment for her getting used to having it, but she seems to be sleeping better. She also noticed that she has more energy now as well.

I first thought when she was prescribed the CPAP that I would need to start sleeping with earplugs again, but you can barely notice it running.

She spoke with one of our son’s therapist, and her husband is now scheduled for a sleep study as well.

One last thing. She is now wearing a mask that covers her nose, but it is uncomfortable is there a better option?
I wear the full "pilot" mask that covers nose and mouth. I found it more comfortable than the one that just covered up my nose (because I would open my mouth and damn near suffocate form the air rushing in). Does it just cover her nose? Have her try the mouth/nose covered (if she can)...she will be a lot more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
small up date: my twin brother went in for a sleep study and came out with a machine. I'm making my appointment for next week sometime...
Way better to be safe than sorry MJ!!!