Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #661
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

I am considering buying a KelTec 9mm pistol to carry concealed.

http://www.keltecpistols.com/item/49..._10RD_BLU.aspx

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this gun?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #662
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QjEL0uUgo

Gotta love Ted.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #663
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
The serpa....do you have a problem consealing the firearm with this style of holster? Any close calls? Thanks
I have one and it sticks out a little. I don't care if someone sees my gun. Open carry is legal here as well. Even if you open carried, most people aren't looking for a gun anyway. Your mileage may vary
Old 04-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #664
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post

I had one and I didn't like it. I sold it to my brother. I had problems with it chambering a round. I sent it back to Kel-Tec where they did the "fluff and buff" treatment to it. It still didn't solve the problem.

I have a S&W 442 J-Frame revolver (same as the 642, just a different color) and I love it. Revolvers go bang pretty much every time.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #665
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I had one and I didn't like it. I sold it to my brother. I had problems with it chambering a round. I sent it back to Kel-Tec where they did the "fluff and buff" treatment to it. It still didn't solve the problem.

I have a S&W 442 J-Frame revolver (same as the 642, just a different color) and I love it. Revolvers go bang pretty much every time.
Yeah I got a S&W .38 cal 637 Airweight that I carry in a leg holster for that very reason (goin' bang everytime). I also have a Glock 27 I carry in a belt holster when I'm gonna somewhere a lil more "shady".

I just want a semi-auto that's a lil more compact than a Glock 27. Easier to pocket carry. The one I'm gonna buy is used, but it is from a buddy. It is the Kel Tec 9mm P11 model.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #666
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Yeah I got a S&W .38 cal 637 Airweight that I carry in a leg holster for that very reason (goin' bang everytime). I also have a Glock 27 I carry in a belt holster when I'm gonna somewhere a lil more "shady".

I just want a semi-auto that's a lil more compact than a Glock 27. Easier to pocket carry. The one I'm gonna buy is used, but it is from a buddy. It is the Kel Tec 9mm P11 model.
Yeah, I had the P11. I would carefully inspect it before you buy it. Just make sure it can chamber rounds flawlessly. If that is fine, buy it
Old 04-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #667
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Yeah, I had the P11. I would carefully inspect it before you buy it. Just make sure it can chamber rounds flawlessly. If that is fine, buy it
Thanks Dan
Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #668
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:

Bambam, trust me, DO NOT BUY A KEL TEC P11

I had one and they are notorious for needing lots of work before they are trustworthy.

They are indeed the lightest 9mm made and have a loyal following, but are notorious for misfeeds and failure to feeds and need to have the feedramp polished and lots of other gunsmithing done.

I put 300 rounds through mine and traded it in and wouldn't use another for much more than a paperweight and certainly wouldn't trust that thing with my life.

The single stack P3AT, I think it's called, is supposedly better, but when you pull the 9 pound painful trigger on a Kel Tec, it sounds like a Coke can opening. They trigger shoe helps a little, and the magazine extender lets you get more than 2 fingers on the grips, but the feedramp on Kel Tecs is famous for being horrible.

I gave mine lots of chances, dremelled the feedramp, polished it, and did the "fluff and buff" to the note, and still had at least one misfeed every 10 rounds, even with Federal rounds.

Last edited by floydpink; 04-03-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #669
Tombstone

Quote:

BamBam what type of holster do you have for your 642? Thanks

Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #670
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Perfect

Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #671
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

What's a good price for AK-47 and what is the preferred place of manufacture?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #672
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Anyone know anything about this? Just got an email from a friend and not dure how real this is:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45.IH:

Sounds pretty bad if it passes.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #673
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Montecristo

Quote:
BamBam what type of holster do you have for your 642? Thanks
My ankle holster is a DeSantis and my belt holster is from this company called http://www.shado.com/

I really like Desantis and wish I would have went with them on the belt holster. The one I have from Shado has no retention screw so it makes me nervous. Nice lether holster and it holds it securely and all, I just like the security I feel with a retention screw. Was just trying to save a few bucks.

If you ask me Desantis is the way to go.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #674
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Anyone know anything about this? Just got an email from a friend and not dure how real this is:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45.IH:

Sounds pretty bad if it passes.
This bill has been introduced into the house every year since the early 90's
It never gets any co-sponsors ( like it has none now ) and never even gets heard in commite ... lets hope it stays that way.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #675
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

Ted rocks
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #676
Tombstone

While carrying my S&W J-frame 642 i constantly worry about the firearm falling out of my IWB holster. Does anyone else have this issue?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #677
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj23 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice - I think the collapsible stock is a great idea. The L4 would be great, but it's sure hard for me to justify putting a $175 light on a $270 gun. The tube extension is another definite; as it is I can have one loaded and four in the magazine (2 3/4", not 3"), but 8 would be great.
Put a surefire G2 on it. That is what I have on mine. As far as ammo. I would suggest the Remington 00 Buck Low Recoil. I would put a side saddle on it asap or at least get one of those that slide on the stock to hold extra rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
Ok, I'll join in on this one!
Hand guns,
Daily Carry, Springfield Lightweight Compact 1911 .45ACP

Cowpokin gun, Ruger Vaquero SA 45 Long Colt.
Nice Springfield I have one that I carry almost everyday in the winter.

I also have a pair of Stainless 357 Vaqueros. They are great, and easy to slick up work on. Is it a new or old model?

Quote:

Stay away far away. My little brother had one and it was a jamamatic. I wouldn't trust my life with it. I would suggest a 5 shot 38 Revolver.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #678
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
While carrying my S&W J-frame 642 i constantly worry about the firearm falling out of my IWB holster. Does anyone else have this issue?
I carry mine in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I have a Don Hume IWB holster for my 442, but I don't carry it IWB often, b/c it is so easy to slip in my pocket.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #679
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
What's a good price for AK-47 and what is the preferred place of manufacture?
If I remember right, the WASRs are made in the US and can be bought new. I may be mistaken as the AK isn't my field of expertise.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #680
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_s2k
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

Ted rocks
Ted Nugent has done more to support the 2nd Amendment than most will ever know. I don't always agree 100% with his political platforms, but probably 98%. I used to frequent his web forum. He posts there frequently. He was even kicking around the idea of running for governor in Michigan, even though he's been living in Texas for a few years. He'd have my vote. Just about anyone would be better than the Canadian "beauty queen" we have now.