Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #41
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sweet and/or Sweetened Tip smokes?

I actually gave this a try using some Pectin powder mixed with a sugar/water syrup... the results weren't quite what I as hoping for... 2 cups of sugar dissolved in 2 cups of boiling water and mixed with a full pack of Pectin powder wasn't notably sweet, still had some of the tart taste of the Pectin, and never completely dried. I may give this another try with an artificial sweetener, but it seems like it will be a lot of trial-and-error to get it right when it looks like there are several inexpensive sweet sticks still worth trying.

I have a feeling one of the Famous or CI house brands (C'est La Vie, Maroma Dulce, Pai Gow, etc) will end up being a winner for me, I just have to catch a a few 5-packs on CBid and CigarMonster to try before I commit to a box/bundle.

Does anyone know if La Vieja Habana Fumas is sweetened?

Last edited by shopkins82; 05-21-2012 at 08:26 AM.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #42
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

Thought I'd revive a zombie thread and give some feedback over one year later...

Much to even my own surprise, I'm still smoking mainly sweet-tip sticks (both infused and not) more often than anything else. Some feedback on what I have liked and what I haven't:

- CI Legends Copper - probably my favorite stick. Subtle infusion, subtle sweetness, very reliable
- Acid Manta - like a milder Kuba Kuba, or a full-size blondie
- Acid Blondie Belicoso - like smoking a Worther's Original candy
- Acid Kuba Kuba - flirts with the line of too much infusion, but usually doesn't cross it
- Acid (everything else) - I've liked most of those I've tried, Madre was one exception
- Naturals - I've liked everything except Root/Root Deluxe
- Tabak Especial - I've liked them all, especially the Cafe con Leche
- Isla del Sol - These are great for the price in every size except Corona
- Ambrosia Spice - Very full bodied, but offset well by a nice spicy infusion... for when I'm feeling bolder
- Dolce Vita (Thompson) - Tabak Especial knock-off... the Espresso (Maduro) and Barber Pole are very nice with hints of coffee and chocolate. The pre-light smell is pungent and almost like bubble-gum, but they smoke great.
- Nitro (Thompson) - Acid Kuba Kuba knock-off... like a Kuba-light... less infusion, less sweet, less smooth. Good infused smoke for very little money, but prone to tight draw.
- Flor de Oliva - Subtle sweetness with a pipe-like tobacco quality. The shop near my office as singles for $3, so I have these often on lunch break in the winter.
- Augusto Reyes Factory Selects Dulce - Mixed filler cheapie. Not horrible and worth $20/bundle, especially for the 6 x 58.
- Baccarat & Diamondback - My baseline sweet/mild stick, a go-to when I'm buying a single-stick locally and don't see anything else appealing or well priced

Dislikes:

- ANYTHING Liquor Infused
- Java - These haven't impressed me nearly as much as I expected... a bit harsh and extremely over-priced
- Oliveros Gold/Platinum - Mediocre, very artificial (dipped) flavor.
- C'est La Vie Sweet - Very loosely packed short filler smoke. Not horrible, but wouldn't buy again.
- Profesor Sila - Sour after taste after the first 1/3 on every single one I tried.
- Tatiana - Very artificial flavor, poor construction, loose fill.
- Pai Gow - Identical to Profesor Sila
- CAO Flavors - Similar to Tatiana. Only one I've liked was Carmelo Joe, which might be really nice in a pipe.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #43
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

The Via Havana is a great smoke and from what I was told prior to rolling he must the leaf with a natural honey. Nothing overboard just a subtle hint if flavor but a dam good smoke. Well IMHO anyway.
MUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #44
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I don't generally enjoy this genre, so I'm no authority....but I'll butt in anyway.....

Tarazona Classic has a sweetened tip. Very good cigar otherwise

Fiance used to enjoy infused on occassion -- two I didn't see mentioned that she really liked were Ambrosia Van Reef and Nectar.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

The Flor de Oliva is one of my standard yard 'gars. Pretty tasty and a great price point. The maduro version is pretty decent for a cheap smoke, too, but it doesn't have the sweetened tip that the natural does.