Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #41
AngryBill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (3)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
AngryBill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tat Drac: Shipping Date

The floor tax I am assuming is the tobacco taxes, is passed on to the customers, but only at the cap of 12.8%. Nothing anyone can do about those taxes, short of electing officials that change that law and rewriting law. Again, retailers do not pay the SCHIP tax, manufacturers do.

And all the retailers that I deal with do not make out of state folks pay sales tax, not even the one's in the Peoples Republic of California do. Yeah I know there are some retailers that make folks pay and pocket the sales tax profit.

Like i said before, All comes down to Buy them if you want them or don't if you aren't willing to pay the price. Retailers have a right to charge what they want and consumers have the right to buy or not.

Can we be done with this yet and smoke some great cigars?
AngryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #42
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Alright I didn't wanna start a whole different thread so...

How many boxes of each are the 200-something shops getting? Not the main or the secondary but the others

aj
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #43
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightAJ View Post
Alright I didn't wanna start a whole different thread so...

How many boxes of each are the 200-something shops getting? Not the main or the secondary but the others

aj
I've talked to a few shops that know how many they are getting.

One is getting 1 box.
One is getting 2 boxes.
One is getting 4 boxes.
One is getting 7 boxes.

Looks like it varies but I've heard 1-10 for the 'additional' shops.
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
chubby

Some of the local shops here are each getting 1-2 boxes. Some have decided to sell as individuals and limit them to 1 per customer.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #45
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBill View Post
Again, retailers do not pay the SCHIP tax, manufacturers do.
Not exactly. Retailers do pay for the SCHIP tax as the manufacturers pass it along when they upped their cost to the retailer. Then, in turn, retailers pass it along to the customer. It's ultimately the customer that pays in the end.

FWIW, NC is in the process of making internet retailers charge sales tax. So for those that order from JR, you will probably be paying NC sales tax in the, not so distant, future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBill View Post
Like i said before, All comes down to Buy them if you want them or don't if you aren't willing to pay the price. Retailers have a right to charge what they want and consumers have the right to buy or not.
Yep, yep!

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 10-22-2009 at 04:09 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #46
tmoney2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Not exactly. Retailers do pay for the SCHIP tax as the manufacturers pass it along when they upped their cost to the retailer. Then, in turn, retailers pass it along to the customer. It's ultimately the customer that pays in the end.
This means that SCHIP is built into the MSRP, so charging MSRP + a percentage and calling it SCHIP is dishonest.

Price the cigars higher than MSRP if you want to make more money, but taking advantage of customers that don't know that SCHIP is part of MSRP is dishonest.

Honestly, charging state cigar taxes as a percentage of the retail price is shady too. NC is 12.8% of WHOLESALE price. If you want to make at least keystone on your actual price, then make your pretax prices higher. Charging 12.8% of the retail purchase is not what the law states.

Honest, transparent pricing doesn't have to be non-profitable. Just price the sticks where you want to price them and charge the taxes as they are meant to be charged.

Saying something costs $10 and then charging 40 or 80 cents for "SCHIP", and then charging another 1.28 for state tobacco taxes when half of the state taxes and all of the SCHIP taxes go into your pocket is not right IMO.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #47
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Since the thread-jack is firmly in place, here is an example of what we're talking about.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #48
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney2007 View Post
This means that SCHIP is built into the MSRP, so charging MSRP + a percentage and calling it SCHIP is dishonest.

I agree. Who said they did this?

Price the cigars higher than MSRP if you want to make more money, but taking advantage of customers that don't know that SCHIP is part of MSRP is dishonest.

It is dishonest but I believe it's up the buyer to be informed of their purchases so they don't get taken.

Honestly, charging state cigar taxes as a percentage of the retail price is shady too. NC is 12.8% of WHOLESALE price. If you want to make at least keystone on your actual price, then make your pretax prices higher. Charging 12.8% of the retail purchase is not what the law states.

Again, who said they did this?

Honest, transparent pricing doesn't have to be non-profitable. Just price the sticks where you want to price them and charge the taxes as they are meant to be charged.

Agreed. That's what we do.

Saying something costs $10 and then charging 40 or 80 cents for "SCHIP", and then charging another 1.28 for state tobacco taxes when half of the state taxes and all of the SCHIP taxes go into your pocket is not right IMO.

Agreed and again who said they were doing this?

In blue above.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #49
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
Since the thread-jack is firmly in place, here is an example of what we're talking about.

That receipt makes me wonder whether the retailer is just using an arbitrary figure not actually calculated in the final price to represent what the manufacturer paid in taxes... or just pocketing the extra money. It's one thing to be against SCHIP, it's a whole other thing to rip off your customers under the guise of SCHIP.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #50
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Back to the point at hand.... No Tat Dracs at my B&M....just confirmed with the owner....

Not a huge deal, though it would have been nice to pick up a few just because.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #51
newlifetaxidermy

[rant]

I hate to continue the hijack, but I must say this about the B&M in question. First, the owner and guys that work there are very friendly and knowledgeable. Second, their selection is the best of any B&M in the USA....and I'm not kidding. Third, when they put on an event, it is first class all the way. My only gripe is the making extra money off taxes thing. I hope they will stop that....I would certainly spend a great deal more of my cigar budget there.

[/rant]

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #52
tobii3

Y'all mean THESE??

and....

THESE??

Yup.....Seen 'em!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #53
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

You suck Tobii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhh I'm going crazy I think! Damn you Pete Johnson
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #54
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Those are some scary looking smokes!
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #55
Reverend Mike

Cool Re: Tat Drac: Shipping Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge796 View Post
Whatever happened to people doing the right thing because, it's the right thing to do?

I think some of the responsibility has to fall back onto Mr. Johnson to make sure his customers aren't being taken by greedy B&Ms and vendors. It really takes away from the enjoyment of the hobby.

Chris.....

P.S. I'll be staying away from the madness that the Drac has created.
Explain to us what is "the right thing" here? Should I sell my four boxes -- 2 of each -- to one guy? I don't think that's right at all. Should I sell individual sticks to people that call-in from three states away to buy that one single cigar and will never buy anything else from me? What's "the right thing" when you get 46 total cigars and you've got people from all over the country calling and wanting "all you have?"

I'm selling one each of the Drac and Boris to people that buy ANY box of Tatuaje -- P Series included. I'm keystoning them and selling them at the proper price. If that's not fair or "right", no one will buy them and I'll be stuck with them I guess.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #56
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mike View Post
Explain to us what is "the right thing" here? Should I sell my four boxes -- 2 of each -- to one guy? I don't think that's right at all. Should I sell individual sticks to people that call-in from three states away to buy that one single cigar and will never buy anything else from me? What's "the right thing" when you get 46 total cigars and you've got people from all over the country calling and wanting "all you have?"

I'm selling one each of the Drac and Boris to people that buy ANY box of Tatuaje -- P Series included. I'm keystoning them and selling them at the proper price. If that's not fair or "right", no one will buy them and I'll be stuck with them I guess.

I think it's wrong of you to be selling them like that. Just my opinion, but no one should be forced to buy ANOTHER tatuaje product just to have a chance at ONE cigar... To be ultimately fair, I would think they should go on the shelf when you are "supposed" to start selling them. Sell them at MSRP, and when you run out, you run out. Just my thought, but I am sure I'll be told that I'm wrong on this one. In my eyes, forcing a customer to buy something else in order to buy ONE of each limited edition cigar, is thievery.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #57
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
I think it's wrong of you to be selling them like that. Just my opinion, but no one should be forced to buy ANOTHER tatuaje product just to have a chance at ONE cigar... To be ultimately fair, I would think they should go on the shelf when you are "supposed" to start selling them. Sell them at MSRP, and when you run out, you run out. Just my thought, but I am sure I'll be told that I'm wrong on this one. In my eyes, forcing a customer to buy something else in order to buy ONE of each limited edition cigar, is thievery.
Scott
I think he's saying you can buy a box of boris and drac for every box of another tatuaje.. but yeah, then it becomes a money thing where those with more limited buying ability have zero chance at this shop.. Accessibility is what's lacking when there's policies like that in place.. what if someone just wants to buy 1 of each to try out or save for a special occasion?
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #58
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

I read it as he is selling 1 STICK of each to anyone that buys a box of another tatuaje product. Yet another reason I am leaving all tatuaje products for everyone else from now on. Lots of other great smokes out there that I don't have to fight for.

Bearded Dad Blog
Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #59
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
I read it as he is selling 1 STICK of each to anyone that buys a box of another tatuaje product. Yet another reason I am leaving all tatuaje products for everyone else from now on. Lots of other great smokes out there that I don't have to fight for.
If that's true, that's about the most obscene way of trying them out that I've heard.. Buy a whole box to be ABLE to buy a stick? egads
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #60
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

I don't know if its true, but it wouldn't surprise me. There are other retailers doing the same thing. This is one of the main reasons I am swearing off tatuaje's. I don't care how good they are. Any retailers that force you to buy other boxes of tatuaje products for the chance to buy dracs... They lost my business. New Havana lost my business for the way they held the scavenger hunt and pulled boxes OUT of people's carts WHILE they were in the midst of checking out... I've got a list going of retailers I now refuse to shop at.
.. I am probably over reacting, but so be it.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog