Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #4061
Robulous78

Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Obviously I know that .357 .38 aren't rifle calibers, I just use that as an example because I know that a pistol billed as a .357 can fire .38 but not the other way around...

Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #4062
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

There IS a difference between .223rem and 5.56 NATO, a quick google search will give you a plethora of articles explaining the difference. From my understanding 5.56 NATO does produce higher pressures in the chamber than .223rem. That being said, most AR varients will run both .223Rem and 5.56 with no issues. I've ran 1000s of rounds of each through my RRA AR-15 and never had a problem.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #4063
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Obviously I know that .357 .38 aren't rifle calibers, I just use that as an example because I know that a pistol billed as a .357 can fire .38 but not the other way around...
.38 and .357 are dimensionally different cartridges (rounds).A 357 is too long to fit in a .38 revolvers cylinder .223 and 5.56 NATO are dimensionally the same round that's the difference.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #4064
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
There IS a difference between .223rem and 5.56 NATO, a quick google search will give you a plethora of articles explaining the difference. From my understanding 5.56 NATO does produce higher pressures in the chamber than .223rem. That being said, most AR varients will run both .223Rem and 5.56 with no issues. I've ran 1000s of rounds of each through my RRA AR-15 and never had a problem.
Thats pretty much what I am wondering due to the fact it is such an old model... This thing is probably early 80's at its youngest... Also, as with any rifle, I wonder about seals and gaskets and what-not... I know the springs have been replaced recently, not too sure about anything else...

Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #4065
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

What's the barrel marked? U can shoot .223 and 5.56 in a 5.56 barrel. Do Not shoot 5.56 in a .223 barrel!!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #4066
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
http://youtu.be/juUJdzFFORs

This one is mobile!!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #4067
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
What's the barrel marked? U can shoot .223 and 5.56 in a 5.56 barrel. Do Not shoot 5.56 in a .223 barrel!!!!!
So there is a marking on the barrel that should tell me this? Thanks Justin this is the answer I am looking for... Where is this marking typically located?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #4068
Robulous78

If the barrel doesn't say 5.56 is it just a simple matter of changing out the barrel to make it into a 5.56 or is there more to it then that?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #4069
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #4070
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
So there is a marking on the barrel that should tell me this? Thanks Justin this is the answer I am looking for... Where is this marking typically located?
Typically it's marked between the front sight and flash hider in that area but could be on the underside. If not, remove the handguards and look at the rest of the barrel. Something like
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #4071
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Can you elaborate on this?
5.56 barrel/chamber has more of a leade vs 223. It's has something to do with the pressures.
http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #4072
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Rob, granted most ammo u will find will be .223 anyway
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #4073
Robulous78

Quote:
Typically it's marked between the front sight and flash hider in that area but could be on the underside. If not, remove the handguards and look at the rest of the barrel. Something like
Thanks... I'll have my Pop's take a look and see what he got... He bought it from a friend for 400.00 either way its a decent deal I'd say...

Next question... My dad has it in his head that it is worth more because it is the original civilian version made by Colt... is this true? Does it need to be kept as is or is there no harm in modifying it? He seems to think this Triangular handguard is something special... other then making it look older I don't see anything special about it...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #4074
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I would say its possibly worth more depending. Best bet would be to ask over on ar15.com and post good pictures of the rifle and the markings on the lower receiver. Or send me the pix and ill ask
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #4075
Robulous78

Quote:
I would say its possibly worth more depending. Best bet would be to ask over on ar15.com and post good pictures of the rifle and the markings on the lower receiver. Or send me the pix and ill ask
I'll definitely take you up on this... It might be a month or 2 before I see him again and can take pictures but I'll definitely send em your way.... I just wanna know if it was a decent deal for my Pop's and if this rifle is better left as a dinosaur or if I should mod it out...

Thanks Justin...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #4076
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

sounds like a good deal to me.

The caliber will also be located on the bottom half of the rifle on the side of the magazine well, IF the rifle is 100% original parts from the factory. If someone changed out the barrel at a later date, then the markings on the side oft he mag well don't mean anything.

Now, depending on how far back that AR dates, it is worth considerably more than $400, even before all this craziness started. Honestly, you need to ask the guys at ar15.com, but I'll take a stab at what I remember.

The original Colt AR lower had a design "flaw" that made it super easy to convert to full auto. These are commonly referred to as "preban" AR's. Bearing in mind that I don't know jack, there is a decent chance that the AR your dad picked up is one of those. If so, then you would have the most value in selling it as is to a collector and buying yourself a tricked out new AR

BTW, ALL of the preban lowers I'm looking at right now in the gunbroker.com history all are marked .223 caliber, so I'd stay away from 5.56 ammo for now.
ALL of the preban AR's I'm looking at also have a round handguard, even the one dated all the way back to 1977, so like I said, you're really going to have to post pictures for the ar15.com guys that know their stuff in order to correctly ID it. But I definitely wouldn't do anything to it until then.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #4077
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
sounds like a good deal to me.

The caliber will also be located on the bottom half of the rifle on the side of the magazine well, IF the rifle is 100% original parts from the factory. If someone changed out the barrel at a later date, then the markings on the side oft he mag well don't mean anything.

Now, depending on how far back that AR dates, it is worth considerably more than $400, even before all this craziness started. Honestly, you need to ask the guys at ar15.com, but I'll take a stab at what I remember.

The original Colt AR lower had a design "flaw" that made it super easy to convert to full auto. These are commonly referred to as "preban" AR's. Bearing in mind that I don't know jack, there is a decent chance that the AR your dad picked up is one of those. If so, then you would have the most value in selling it as is to a collector and buying yourself a tricked out new AR

BTW, ALL of the preban lowers I'm looking at right now in the gunbroker.com history all are marked .223 caliber, so I'd stay away from 5.56 ammo for now.
ALL of the preban AR's I'm looking at also have a round handguard, even the one dated all the way back to 1977, so like I said, you're really going to have to post pictures for the ar15.com guys that know their stuff in order to correctly ID it. But I definitely wouldn't do anything to it until then.
Definitely won't, all we have done to it so far is give it a good field-strip cleaning and put a few .223 rounds through it... I will get all sort of pictures of it when I go visit next time... It was a PD- swat weapon from early 80's if the story is correct... he let it go for so cheap because he was hurting for money... This was a few months ago but my Dad just showed it to me recently... I bet he is kicking himself in the ass right now...

Another reason I ask is because I am left handed and I want a Left-handed AR... from what I understand this one is either not convertible or is to valuable as-is to convert for my left-handedness... All I know is that it feels like a toy shooting .223 through it... I am pretty sure a 9mm has more kick...

Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #4078
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pete View Post
I like the LW but it's pricey. Wouldn't building a AR based one (assuming one can get a AR lower) with a CMMG upper be better since it gives the option to switch to a .22 or .223 upper later?
It does give you the option of using different uppers by not choosing a dedicated lower receiver.

My RRA 9mm uses a magblock, made by rock river, that uses colt style magazines. I can remove the magblock and go back to .223 or even 22 and whatever in between. The only reason that I would like a dedicated lower for Glocks, is I have a crap ton of Glock mags and when going to the range I can shoot both the Glock and the carbine without having to carry extra mags. Plus I believe they may be offering .40 and 357sig too.

If you want to try an AR-22, I can let you try one of those out as well

Last edited by bonjing; 01-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #4079
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Thanks the input and offer Greg. I was planning to get a .22 AR until I found out about the pistol caliber rifles. Either way, it'll be hard to find any 9mm and larger carbines with the frenzy going on now.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #4080
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
http://youtu.be/juUJdzFFORs

This one is mobile!!
Even more mobile...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_lnq0HYBQE

Dare I say the ultimate in home defense?
Closed Thread