Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Decisions, decisions...your opinions??

Yep, what Jake said. Full refund and send them back.

If two have beetles out of 15....I think it's safe to say plenty more do.

I've never even heard of half the cigars in that sampler either.

Grab bag usually translates into "bunch of crap we cannot sell".
Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Yeah you guys are right.....done, calling them back tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #23
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Send Them Back, Brother. BTW, Those 1961's Are Great Smokes!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Yep, what Jake said. Full refund and send them back.

If two have beetles out of 15....I think it's safe to say plenty more do.

I've never even heard of half the cigars in that sampler either.

Which is why you avoid buying "samplers" from retailers and my reference to craptacular selection earlier in the thread.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Send Them Back, Brother. BTW, Those 1961's Are Great Smokes!
With or without the critters?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #26
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I've thought about this and I am calling them back today and I am going to demand a return shipping label, and trade them in for a stinky...their smokes can't be trusted it seems...well their cheapies anyway.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #27
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Hey Mickey, never trust a grab bag sampler. Not that I think you'd get beetles (as you did), but because it is normally the way a company gets rid of stuff that's been sitting around in open boxes for a long time. Premium cigars they say? Just because they come from a well-known name doesn't make them premium. Just because their original "suggested" retail price is in the $10 range doesn't make them premium.

You want a "blind" sampler? Drop me a PM and tell me how much you'd like to spend and I'll figure out what I can put together for you. When I come up with a possible package, I'll PM you with a list of the cigars that I'd send - you let me know if it is go or not. Nothing happens till we have a mutually acceptable deal.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #28
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Hey Mickey, never trust a grab bag sampler. Not that I think you'd get beetles (as you did), but because it is normally the way a company gets rid of stuff that's been sitting around in open boxes for a long time. Premium cigars they say? Just because they come from a well-known name doesn't make them premium. Just because their original "suggested" retail price is in the $10 range doesn't make them premium.

You want a "blind" sampler? Drop me a PM and tell me how much you'd like to spend and I'll figure out what I can put together for you. When I come up with a possible package, I'll PM you with a list of the cigars that I'd send - you let me know if it is go or not. Nothing happens till we have a mutually acceptable deal.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Thanks Rev, this was a hard lesson to learn, all you newbies listen up and pay attention to what happened to me. Forgop & Rev are wise.

Rev, I may take you up on that offer in the future thank you sir.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #29
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

*UPDATE*

I called them today and spoke to a young woman she said she received my VM and she asked which cigars had the beetles in them I informed her and she said was going to speak to her boss about what could be done.

I told her that I had a suggestion, I told her that I would like a shipping label to send them back and get a full refund then exchange it for a Stinky. She said ok and would talk to her boss and call me back.

She called back and asked if I had pics that I could send to them. I sent the pics and called them back 3 hours later to see what the decision was.

She informed me that she didn't want the cigars back (can't blame her I guess) and she is sending me out a stinky today and I will also recieve a $5 off coupon for my next purchase.

So I am happy with their customer service, I just wished they would have called me back the 2nd time instead of me calling them.

Hopefully I won't have any infestations with the other cigars, gonna freeze them for a good week at least.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
forgop
Not a puffer

At least they did the right thing. I'd be leery of ordering anything else for fear of beetles though. I sure as hell wouldn't buy anything without freezing it first.

Here's a hint: don't buy another sampler from them.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #31
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
At least they did the right thing. I'd be leery of ordering anything else for fear of beetles though. I sure as hell wouldn't buy anything without freezing it first.

Lesson learned my friend, lesson learned. If I do buy anything else it will be accessories.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #32
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Absolutely. The Quorum, 1961, Camacho, & CAO are all good smokes. All the rest I've either never heard of or I've tried and found to be seriously sub-par. They cleaned out their non-selling products and tossed in a couple well regarded bargain sticks to make it look better.

Glad they made good on it. I would toss out the two infested ones and freeze the rest and give them a shot at least. As long as you give them long enough in the freezer you shouldn't have any more hatchlings.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #33
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post

Definitely not. I think the only thing I've ever ordered from them was a Xikar cutter, and I did that through Amazon. Now I know not to risk ordering any cigars from them.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #34
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
Absolutely. The Quorum, 1961, Camacho, & CAO are all good smokes. All the rest I've either never heard of or I've tried and found to be seriously sub-par. They cleaned out their non-selling products and tossed in a couple well regarded bargain sticks to make it look better.

Glad they made good on it. I would toss out the two infested ones and freeze the rest and give them a shot at least. As long as you give them long enough in the freezer you shouldn't have any more hatchlings.
I don't even like the Quorums....well I have only had 1, but I didn't care for it.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #35
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Years ago, I recall reading an interview with Rolando Reyes in Cigar Aficionado where he stated he was against freezing and fumigation and that he didn't utilize either at his factory.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #36
Lonely Raven

Wow, I missed the tail end of this thread. Sorry to see you got that surprise in your shipment, Mickey. I'm glad they took care of you in the long run.

Now I'm worried about an order I have in with a place I've never heard of before. They seem legit, but I guess we'll see!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #37
audio1der

Beetles, like mould, can happen to any retailer. This hsouldn't neccessairly be a black eye on that particular retailer due to 1 instance.
Their "Premium selection" making up that sampler, on the other hand...