Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #21
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Next Cigar Boom Is Looming....

I think another small contributor could be all the talk of taxing pipe tobacco the same as cigarette tobacco (to get all those scofflaw roll-your-own guy using pipe tobacco in their cigarettes).

One of the attractions of the pipe, at least for me, is the cost savings compared to smoking 2-3 cigars a day.

Yes, I do enjoy Stonehaven but given the choise if eventhing else is equal I would still rather smoke a cigar.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #22
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I don't know about another boom Dave, but I can see a potential increase in NC reviews on the horizon.

Was thinking the very same.

Padron is going to love my wallet all over again.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #23
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

So, what have I missed that leads you all to think there will be another boom? What cigar events are these?

Lived through the first one, saw the prices rise and then fall a little bit, but nowhere near where they were previously - they are nearly doubled where they were pre-boom.

If that happens again, I may give up cigars altogether.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #24
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
So, what have I missed that leads you all to think there will be another boom? What cigar events are these?

Lived through the first one, saw the prices rise and then fall a little bit, but nowhere near where they were previously - they are nearly doubled where they were pre-boom.

Don't Do That, Todd!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #25
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Perhaps the powers that be will realize, seeing the influx of Cuban cigars into Chicago over a two week period, the potential for tax revenue that can be generated, and might be a small push toward ending the embargo for economic gain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdoty View Post
I sure hope that's what happens, Tom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
We can only hope.....we can only hope.
Quote:
I know it is a BIG stretch....but I am hoping to bring some calm to the panicking masses.
And then they'll tax a bit more, and a bit more, and a bit more, and then we'll all be smoking $20 Parti Shorts.....and then back to smuggling.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #26
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

I'm with you sadly. With 3 gas, rising cost on everything currently cigars are a *affordable* hobby/pleasure. If the price goes up, the cost associated greatly reduces the pleasure value, at least that's my view from the cheap seats
Posted via Mobile Device
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #27
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Opening Cuba will certainly almost have to be a part of it.
I disagree...I think Dan's theory of having the combo of social and economic situations will make the big difference. If there is another boom it will have to stem from a surplus $ and how the job market is imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
A couple of us who remember the boom in the 90's were talking with Jonathan Drew and Pete Johnson about this subject about a month ago when we were down in Nicaragua. We kind of all agreed that yeah, we're kind of starting or even in one right now, but it's different, it's not like the flash in the pan boom of the 90's, more like a renewed interest and along with it, a demand for new, QUALITY products. The 90's you could roll up floor sweepings with sawdust and stuff it inside a cooked wrapper and sell it for $300 a box. One could say that this was due to tobacco shortages, but the reality was, people were still buying the sawdust in a cooked wrapper and thinking it was the most bomb-ass cigar on the market. Now, today, no one will tolerate that - people will pay the premiums, but not for crap. Too much good stuff out there to set the benchmark by. Crap will die on the vine pretty quick and end up in the CI 30-buck bonanza page.

Part of this is the internet and the availability of information to consumers plus the ability to instantly compare prices and see reviews. Part of that is just the evolution of the consumer.

Today's consumers have more information at their disposal and word spreads much faster. What the modern boom will end up being remains to be seen, but whatever it is, it won't be the same.
I concur.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #28
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Interesting thread. I don't know what to think...
Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Very big...
That's why I capitalized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Tom, you have soothed this savage beast.
My work here is done!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
That's why I capitalized it.
Si senior Hog.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Si senior Hog.
Es la verdad!!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #32
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
With recent cigar related events, do those of you that remember the "cigar boom" of the mid nineties think there will be another?
I think it's sure booming at O'Hare this week. That's a herf I'd like to be at. We ned to do like those prison break
type movies where the truck get's knocked off halfway to the incinerator. I'm in, Tom's got the car, I have the
knockout gas.

Last edited by OLS; 12-08-2010 at 01:49 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #33
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I think it's sure booming at O'Hare this week. That's a herf I'd like to be at. We ned to do like those prison break
type movies where the truck get's knocked off halfway to the incinerator. I'm in, Tom's got the car, I have the
knockout gas.
Initiate countdown......

It's 16 miles to Chicago. Brad and I got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #34
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #35
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:

EPIC movie. Great scene.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #36
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Perhaps the powers that be will realize, seeing the influx of Cuban cigars into Chicago over a two week period, the potential for tax revenue that can be generated, and might be a small push toward ending the embargo for economic gain?
Unfortunately opening Cuba is not about money it's about ideology and mobilized political groups which leads to real money as in campaign donations which trump tax revenues for most politicians. As long as Cuba is communist and the wealthy exiled Cubans are active in Republican politics it will be hard to sell much beyond limited relaxing of rules regarding Cuba. Maybe humanitarian aid and increased travel but unlikely they are going to open up to their only real export. We'll see but I would be surprised if it happened any time soon.

I think it is clear that if not a boom we are in a golden period for NC cigars. The number of new boutique brands bringing quality product with a whole variety of innovations and rediscovered traditions being released indicates real growth particularly considering the poor economy. It seems like it is more tobacco people with good product than people trying get on a trend make a quick buck with marketing like in the 90's.

I think the lack of taxation on internet purchases and the inherent dangers of states trying enforce sales tax make quality cigars much more affordable which is contributing the increase in cigar purchases. It is also unfortunately contributing to the demise of many B&M's. I don't know of a single B&M in my area that is not also selling wine & beer or something else other than tobacco besides a couple of outlet kinds of places.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #37
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
Unfortunately opening Cuba is not about money it's about ideology and mobilized political groups which leads to real money as in campaign donations which trump tax revenues for most politicians. As long as Cuba is communist and the wealthy exiled Cubans are active in Republican politics it will be hard to sell much beyond limited relaxing of rules regarding Cuba. Maybe humanitarian aid and increased travel but unlikely they are going to open up to their only real export. We'll see but I would be surprised if it happened any time soon.

I think it is clear that if not a boom we are in a golden period for NC cigars. The number of new boutique brands bringing quality product with a whole variety of innovations and rediscovered traditions being released indicates real growth particularly considering the poor economy. It seems like it is more tobacco people with good product than people trying get on a trend make a quick buck with marketing like in the 90's.

I think the lack of taxation on internet purchases and the inherent dangers of states trying enforce sales tax make quality cigars much more affordable which is contributing the increase in cigar purchases. It is also unfortunately contributing to the demise of many B&M's. I don't know of a single B&M in my area that is not also selling wine & beer or something else other than tobacco besides a couple of outlet kinds of places.
Agree with you on most all of it. The "tax revenue" idea was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. We were just discussing at breakfast how powerful the expatriate lobby was, how such a small group percentage wise wields such a powerful influence.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #38
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

just saw the news clip about the O'Hare CC seizures (insert crying smiley here)

Last edited by SNKBYT; 12-08-2010 at 04:22 PM.
SNKBYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #39
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Agree with you on most all of it. The "tax revenue" idea was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. We were just discussing at breakfast how powerful the expatriate lobby was, how such a small group percentage wise wields such a powerful influence.
It is amazing. Can't be more than 10-15 thousand core expats. Shows what you can do when you have money and are well connected and very focused.

It is a crazy tight community. I spent a week in Miami in the early 90's with a buddy of mine from college who's family was part of that community. All handshakes and backroom deals. I did get to meet the elder Padron son at the Padron Little Havana factory again via the side door. Got a bunch of X000 maduros for a buck a stick after watching the torceador roll em up.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #40
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Quote:
It's possible Tom but that will bring challenges for the Cuban producers imo.
Yep, challenges like making cigars that aren't so hard to draw, or have wrappers that look like they were drug through a knothole. (Ducking to avoid being pelted by rotten tomatoes thrown by CC fanboys)