Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #21
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Alienware

As others have said, Alienware makes a fine machine, but they're very overpriced for what you get. As for desktops, it's much much cheaper to build your own or have someone do it for you. That option isn't really there for laptops, but WoW will work on a basic computer just fine. My friend has the really barebones Compaq laptop and plays WoW all the time.

For college and gaming, go for a higher-end regular laptop. A good processor, lots of RAM and a good independent graphics card will give you a rig that will be up-to-date for years with good gaming compatibility as a bonus.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #22
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydp View Post
Hell Tony you could go with the latest Macbook to do WOW.
My daughter has one and loves it but my son does not want one. I hear they are good and I am personally considering one for my next laptop but right now my three year old dell is working fine. It is slowing up and lagging a bit so I need to bring it to a friend to clean it out. Thanks for the idea though I never thought to ask him.
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:45 AM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Good machine, astronomically overpriced.
A dell XPS can be had for far less, and it'll do a damn fine job with anything he throws at it.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #24
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Good machine, astronomically overpriced.
A dell XPS can be had for far less, and it'll do a damn fine job with anything he throws at it.
That is what we are leaning towards now. I have an Inspiron E1505 from 06 and it is still working well enough as I stated earlier but I hav eheard Dell's are not what they use to be...

That being said he will most likely end up with an XPS.
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #25
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Going to agree with two of the points made. Laptops are junk for gaming. And alienware is just overpriced dell.
I know a few people that have alienware pcs and most wish they would have spent 1/2 the money and got what they really wanted. Also, their warranties are junk.
I have had no reason to use the warranty so far. Tech support on the other hand... Of course, I have only myself to blame, for listening when they told me to reinstall my OS to fix a display issue. Turns out the issue was that my monitor cable was bad...
Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
I have had no reason to use the warranty so far. Tech support on the other hand... Of course, I have only myself to blame, for listening when they told me to reinstall my OS to fix a display issue. Turns out the issue was that my monitor cable was bad...
One of the biggest issues my friends have encountered was after the warranties dropped, too much crap went wrong. Now I know this does happen from time to time, but three people with three separate pcs tells me something. Also two of them had issues with 3 months of purchasing.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #27
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
As others have said, Alienware makes a fine machine, but they're very overpriced for what you get. As for desktops, it's much much cheaper to build your own or have someone do it for you. That option isn't really there for laptops, but WoW will work on a basic computer just fine. My friend has the really barebones Compaq laptop and plays WoW all the time.

For college and gaming, go for a higher-end regular laptop. A good processor, lots of RAM and a good independent graphics card will give you a rig that will be up-to-date for years with good gaming compatibility as a bonus.
I built the rig I used before this one. The cost savings is really only there when you can recycle parts from previous rigs. Once you are replacing everything, which generally needs to happen after 2-3 years, things start adding up. I priced out the parts to build a box similar to the one I bought from Alienware at a cost savings of less than 10% of the total price. To me, that extra couple hundred bucks is just not worth the time and aggravation of building it, troubleshooting and RMAing at least one part off every PC, then rebuilding, installing the OS, drivers, etc.

WoW just needs a pc with a video card to be playable. The lag is most often a factor of all the addons that people run with their WoW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
One of the biggest issues my friends have encountered was after the warranties dropped, too much crap went wrong. Now I know this does happen from time to time, but three people with three separate pcs tells me something. Also two of them had issues with 3 months of purchasing.
Hmm, I think I only got the 1 year on mine and it's been about 18mo since I got it. No problems with the PC itself. BTW, missing you down in the Pumping Iron thread. Not seen you there in a while.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #28
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post

Hmm, I think I only got the 1 year on mine and it's been about 18mo since I got it. No problems with the PC itself. BTW, missing you down in the Pumping Iron thread. Not seen you there in a while.
Been a lil busy, nothing special lolz!