Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #21
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Watchmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
The commercials make me want to read the graphic novel. They do not make me want to see the film. The previews look like it's going to be a movie about a bunch of superheroes who whine all the time. Tell me this is not the case.

There's not much whining, it's pretty pessimistic though.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #22
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

After having a few hours to sit around and process the movie, I have to say this:

I believe the movie did a good job in attempting to bring the comics to the screen.

I found it odd yet understandable that the main characters that would seen to be the most insane are the ones I empathize with the most since they see the world for what it is, not what they want it to be. It may been how the movie was directed, the current world situation, or my own personal situation (or a combination of all the above) but that's just how I felt.

My only gripes with the movie is the pacing in a few scenes as well. When you hear nervous laughter in the theater, you know a scene has gone on for too long. Also, I will not fault Snyder for changing the ending (it does make it a bit cleaner) as it still achieves the same goal in the end. Purists will gripe, and I can see their point of view as well.

I'll need to get the DVD of it when it comes out to catch all the little details in the movie that you only notice on subsequent play-through (like all of the murals, billboards, etc). However, with all said and done, I enjoyed myself watching the movie. It's definitely something I am glad I spent staying up all night long to watching it and not getting home till 4AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #23
blugill
Feeling at Home

Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
I got back not that long ago, overall it was a terrific, well executed, and faithful translation of the novel. The color and camera work are both spot on. There are points where you catch snapshots that are directly off the pages. That said, I think the change to the end was unnecessary. The new ending worked really well, maybe even better than the original, and didn't really change anything as far as the resolution of the story, but I would have rather seen it the way Moore had written it. Other than that there were a few things I would have like to see included that weren't but those are just small things like lines that were omitted or small details that were changed.
I read an interview with Snyder on why the ending was changed.

Spoiler Alert!!!!

The studio execs thought that in a post 9-11 world that the GN ending was way too graphic and had reservations spending 100 million on it.

Snyder agreed and honestly the GN ending is what I really wanted to see but I can understand the alternative point of view.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #24
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough

I have not seen the final cut of the movie but i did see one of the prescreens months ago to help them cut the stuff out that wasnt as good or what not... I hated the comedians as a person but damn he was good at it!!! Ill have to see it again. This is defenatly not a normal rated R as mentioned above. It took me out of the movie a few times not because i wasnt happy about what i saw but that i didnt expect to see it. Did i say I hate the comedian??? Im surprised the other heroes let him get away with that stuff... what a Douchebag...
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #25
Darrell

Good flick. I loved it.

However, I loved the GN more.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #26
foomanto
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
foomanto is on a distinguished road

loved the movie. i guess i don't remember the original ending its been so long since i read the books or the GN. i guess ill have to dig them out and reread them.
foomanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Watched it earlier today and liked it very much. There are supposed to be different cuts released later this year and one is supposed to be about 3 and a half hours.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #28
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
scoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Watched it earlier today and liked it very much. There are supposed to be different cuts released later this year and one is supposed to be about 3 and a half hours.
Yeah, I heard that they'll be including the Tales of the Black Freighter in the DVD version.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #29
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Thanks, Jason! I guess this one I'll hafta see with my male buddies, not my wife!
Sounds like a guys night out...

If only you could smoke stogies in a theater.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #30
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

being a comic book collector for most of my life and having waited about 20 years for this movie to get made, i have to say i was pretty impressed with the film. the change to the ending notwithstanding, it was one of the most faithful comic book adaptations ever made. and i have to say, i liked the 'new' ending better than the comic. i always thought the 'event' that brought resolution to the conflict was a little forced and rather silly.

at any rate - it was a bit long, but very well executed i thought. although, now that i think about it, the change made to the scene that 'created' rorshach (the kidnapper of the little girl) was unnecessary and a bit gratuitous. and yeah, jackie earl haley absolutely nailed the rorschach character.
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #31
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I went and bought the Graphic Novel (outstanding work by Moore and Gibbons) and I had only read about 50 pages before going to see the film with my wife. My wife is not a superhero movie fan, but she loved this. I enjoyed this film too, not as much as the gn, but enjoyed it very much. I am now about halfway through the gn and am loving every page of it.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #32
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Great special effects... Great cinematography... Bla bla bla...

This movie is disturbing on so many levels!!!

PS - Don't take young children (or me) to see this movie!!! It is very graphic and gratuitous in both violence and sexual content!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #33
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Great special effects... Great cinematography... Bla bla bla...

This movie is disturbing on so many levels!!!

PS - Don't take young children (or me) to see this movie!!! It is very graphic and gratuitous in both violence and sexual content!!!
The graphic novel is even more disturbing. Awesome read.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote