Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Just registered to get my Concealed Handgun License

We have carry permits here.
You don't have to conceal. Which is a nice thing if the wind happens to blow your windbreaker or coat away. In some conceal states, that would cause you a "problem."

And while I live in the "Nawth," the idea of a BBQ gun amuses me. Not that I have one of those.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Tell me about it. Total hypocrisy....Do as I say, not as I do.
An article I read stated that her reasoning behind it was because she received some personal terrorist threats.

So, let me get this straight. She had a personal security detail and she still needed a CCW? Wow, a CCW must be more effective than most gun banners thought. Oh wait, she's a gun banner. What a paradox.

If they aren't effective at preventing harm/crime, then why get one?

If they are effective, why can't everyone else get one?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
We have carry permits here.
You don't have to conceal. Which is a nice thing if the wind happens to blow your windbreaker or coat away. In some conceal states, that would cause you a "problem."

And while I live in the "Nawth," the idea of a BBQ gun amuses me. Not that I have one of those.
Michigan allows both open and concealed carry. The interesting part is the combination of having the CPL and choosing to open carry removes some of the restrictions on where you can carry.

http://dev.miopencarry.org/Attachmen...er_to_LEOs.PDF
Quote:
Recently it has been opined by the AG opinion, the MSP (Michigan State Police) and Senator Prusi that persons with a CPL can carry a firearm
openly in the exempted areas listed in MCL 750.234d.
Michigan MCL 750.234d
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2k1...e=mcl-750-234d
Quote:
750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #24
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbuyer76 View Post
License to carry firearms in PA since my 21st birthday, got my license and carry gun many many hours before my first beer, first carry gun s&w 4006 former mass state troopers weapon, wish i still had that pistol
i've got mine from buttler county. Good to see ya call it by the right name
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I've been wanting to get mine for a long time, but I also want to go into law enforcement after graduating. I've had several background investigators tell me it comes up as a red flag if you have a concealed care permit during backgrounds. So....I wait
Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #26
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

We can't carry in a fed. courthouse/ courthouse complexes, school/daycare (unless excepted by the owner/principal), jails/correctional facilities/state hospitals, post offices, or in the restricted area of the airport. Other than that, it is fair game. The State capital requires you give them notice via a registered letter so you can be put "on the list." And while private businesses and such "can" post "appropriate signage" banning guns on the premises, it is only illegal if A. They make you. B. They subsequently ask you to leave. C. You DON"T leave. (and considering the requirements for getting the permit, and the typical permit holders adherence to laws, only the INCREDIBLY rare and stupid case would happen). It is a misdemeanor under MN law.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #27
Will herf for food

VR

Here's the Michigan AG Opinion referenced...

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/da...0s/op10188.htm

Quote:
It is my opinion, therefore, that a uniformed reserve police officer acting as an unpaid volunteer for a local police agency may carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act; and if the officer is either a fully authorized "peace officer" or, alternatively, possesses a valid concealed pistol license issued under the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, he or she may also carry an exposed, holstered pistol within the gun-free zones established by the Michigan Penal Code.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #28
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

mostly definitely

my carry pistol is a Springfield xd .40 subcompact.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #29
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
mostly definitely

my carry pistol is a Springfield xd .40 subcompact.

I carry the exact same gun. mine is the OD green with black. I love it.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #30
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

got mine at 21 and never looked back. I'm carrying the Para-Ordinance Warthog. in 45.
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #31
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Nice guns folks. I will be looking for another carry gun after the first of the year. I want to go to Drurys here in SA and try out a BUNCH. I am initially thinking about a Kimber.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #32
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Nice guns folks. I will be looking for another carry gun after the first of the year. I want to go to Drurys here in SA and try out a BUNCH. I am initially thinking about a Kimber.
keep thinking. kimber QC sucks
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #33
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswol2 View Post
got mine at 21 and never looked back. I'm carrying the Para-Ordinance Warthog. in 45.
I love that gun.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #34
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
I've been wanting to get mine for a long time, but I also want to go into law enforcement after graduating. I've had several background investigators tell me it comes up as a red flag if you have a concealed care permit during backgrounds. So....I wait
Hmmm, I wonder why??? I would think it would be reverse.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #35
Martel

You guys that can get yours easily, count your blessings. Here in MD it's a real problem... unless you're politically connected, handle large amounts of cash or pharmaceuticals, or own your own business, forget it. If I weren't a business owner, I'd be SOL.

Cheers,
G
Old 11-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #36
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

I have been wanting to do this for a long time and the laws here in Kentucky are pretty liberal, so that's not a problem. Every time I think about going through the class, I think, well, I probably wouldn't even carry it much. It seems that you are so limited where you can carry one, that it isn't much worth it. But, this thread made me reach out to an instructor today when I read it, so, I'll be scheduling soon. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #37
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Hmmm, I wonder why??? I would think it would be reverse.
I have no clue. Its one of those, "why did you need that?" kinda things. Coincidently being a security officer or bouncer is a red flag too. Weird little things, so I just try to keep my nose clean as possible since I have a crap driving record
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #38
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Yup, I carry most of the time.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #39
nozero

Wink Re: Just registered to get my Concealed Handgun License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
I wouldn't dare disclose such information!

But maybe
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with ^.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #40
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Got my Custom Stainless II in 2002 and LOVE it. I shot every type of semi-auto they had at the local range who rented handguns. Fell in love with the 1911 style, and more specifically the Kimber.