Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Power tool advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
For impacts, you would generally need more volume than what a pancake compressor could provide. Unless, you want to have it run constantly or recharge between difficult nuts/bolts.

IMHO 10 gallon minimum for impacts/automotive air tools. Otherwise you'll end up drinking too much beer while waiting and it will become counterproductive.
I could really do without an impact right now. I didn't know that it was going to dictate the size of the compressor. After a little reading most guides say that I should get an air compressor capable of 5 psi @ 90 cfm. Does this sound about right?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #22
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I could really do without an impact right now. I didn't know that it was going to dictate the size of the compressor. After a little reading most guides say that I should get an air compressor capable of 5 psi @ 90 cfm. Does this sound about right?
No, 5psi (boost) at 90cfm would be a computer case fan blowing into a garbage bag.

You probably meant 5cfm @ 90psi. This all depends on what you want to run and how hard you are going to run it. That's not a lot of air for high consumption tools.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
No, 5psi (boost) at 90cfm would be a computer case fan blowing into a garbage bag.

You probably meant 5cfm @ 90psi. This all depends on what you want to run and how hard you are going to run it. That's not a lot of air for high consumption tools.
Yes sorry that was a typo.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #24
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I've bought a few tools in my lifetime -

Buying tools can be and should be personal. The best tools out there can be crap if they are not what you need and don't fit your hand. To re-cap some of whats been said and to add to that:

If you want tools to last, buy what we, the pro's buy. Hiliti, Milwaukee, Porter Cable and Senco for nailers. Buying good quailty tools from these manufacturers, there is an excellent chance that as the tool gets old - 10-15 or 20 years they are going to have repair parts for them. I have a 1970 Hiliti powder gun that until recently was able to get parts for - that's a long damn time. This said - don't over buy on a tool that you will hardly ever use - DeWalt, Ryobi or Skil might work.

Don't buy a tool because it's popular, a certain color, etc. Pick the tool up and put it in your hand. Check for fit and feel. How heavy or light is it. Where are the handles and do they feel comfortable. Where are the controls - are they handy while using so you don't have to think about it - or do you have to stop and look at it. On saws - what side blade do you want? Ejector side? Do you need tools to change the blade? What is the base plate made of? Adjustment knobs? Sealed bearings and bushings? Direct drive or belt drive?
Look for features you need and accessories that can be added. And by the way - don't select a saw with less than 15 amps.

Ask wherever you are buying from to actually turn the tool on and use it if possible. Pro centers will do that. Hilti stores for example have areas just to use the tools. Home Depots sometimes have tool days. Look for events. If you know someone with a particular tool you like - ask to demo it.

Compressors is the latest discussion so - a small pancake one will most likely fit you just fine. Most of your tools will run at between 100 and 110 psi with your small brad nailers and paint sprayers at 90 and less. And yes a small pancake will run an impact wrench, air your tires, etc just fine. You won't be using it continuous. Porter Cable normally has some good deals on a two nailer set with compressor at Home Depot and Lowes.

So -
Buy quality.
Buy for fit and feel.
Buy for features/accessories.
Buy according to use.

And don't try to buy all your tools at once. Buy as you need them. As you gain more experience and skill - your taste and needs in tools will change.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #25
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

FWIW, Home Depot had a green tag sale on the Milwaukee 12" Compound Sliding Miter Saw this morning for $299. Unfortunately all of the stores in my area are sold out. Their stock was very limited.