Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Troubling sites at my local B&M

Hah. I've smoked sticks with beetles (a few) in them. I remember this one time when I was new I had lit a cigar and I kept hearing this popping at the foot. About an inch downward a beetle started working its way out of the cigar, I thought to myself, "oh no you don't sucker" I pushed its ass back in and smoked it. It gave a satisfying pop when it died.

I don't remember this changing my cigar any.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #22
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
Hah. I've smoked sticks with beetles (a few) in them. I remember this one time when I was new I had lit a cigar and I kept hearing this popping at the foot. About an inch downward a beetle started working its way out of the cigar, I thought to myself, "oh no you don't sucker" I pushed its ass back in and smoked it. It gave a satisfying pop when it died.

You sir are HARDCORE!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post

Haha, that is awesome!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #24
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
You sir are HARDCORE!
So are you and probably everyone else posting in this thread. Ever look up the FDA regulations on permissible levels of food contamination? The food defect levels act, I believe it's called, lays out the acceptable levels contamination in mass processed foods. It outlines just how much/many insects, maggots, insect fragments, rodent hairs, mold, fecal mater, etc are permissible in foods. So it's not like you haven't been munching on bugs all along anyway.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
So are you and probably everyone else posting in this thread. Ever look up the FDA regulations on permissible levels of food contamination? The food defect levels act, I believe it's called, lays out the acceptable levels contamination in mass processed foods. It outlines just how much/many insects, maggots, insect fragments, rodent hairs, mold, fecal mater, etc are permissible in foods. So it's not like you haven't been munching on bugs all along anyway.
Way to make every one sick T.G.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #26
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Way to make every one sick T.G.
Anyone up for some chocolate covered crickets?

Mmmmm. Crunchy.

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #27
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

That cricket head looks a little strange
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #28
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This is actually true, especially in places that produce processed meats like pepperoni and salami. They can only have a certain amount of rat per pound other meat make it into the stuff. Its just an inevitable thing. Its impossible to kill all the mice/rats that are gonna make their way in so the standards have to be made to make sure that the place at least makes an attempt to keep most of them out
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Meh. I'd be more concerned with the humidor issues than anything else.

What they do, by request, with cigars that a customer already owns, isn't my concern.

Slight misinformation by a B&M employee or owner? Oh noes! Say it's not so!

If he feels that his customer base doesn't want the Wolfman, fine, there are plenty of other places out there to get them. I won't assume I know more than he does about what his clientele want.
Agreed. And if it was a tubo, those are more susceptible to mold anyway and probably was there before it even entered the shop. Also, good humidor etiquette would be to not take the cigar out of the tube but let the clerk take it out to inspect it when you buy it. You would be surprised how many morons can't put the cigar back in the tube and/or damages it when they do.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #30
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough

I think I know what shop you're talking about, I've seen similar things. It's hard because they have stuff that you can only really get there but stuff like that makes you cringe. I was given the same response regarding the Wolfman even with the preorder.
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #31
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What they do, by request, with cigars that a customer already owns, isn't my concern.
....except I'll bet money they were repairing their own cigars, to put back on the shelf. How many time have you heard someone taking their cigars in to get "repaired"...?? Smells bad to me.

In any event, right or wrong, good or bad, truthful or bold faced liars....I would never go back.....
Old 10-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #32
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindedByScience View Post
....except I'll bet money they were repairing their own cigars, to put back on the shelf. How many time have you heard someone taking their cigars in to get "repaired"...?? Smells bad to me.

In any event, right or wrong, good or bad, truthful or bold faced liars....I would never go back.....
This is precisely what I was thinking.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #33
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It all depends upon how well you know the store, the employees and the owner. If they have been reputable in the past then I would give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was repairing cigars for someone. Otherwise, I would take my business elsewhere -- but I would tell them why I was doing so.

If you remember the bands of any of the repaired cigars you could go looking for them the next day...

As for the mold, many B&Ms and online retailers have issues with mold. While I don't like buying sticks with mold on them, and will avoid it when I can, mold is pretty easy (if time consuming) to clean up.

Part whether or not you go back also depends upon if you have anywhere else to go... I am lucky in that we have a lot of B&M's in the area.

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #34
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Shops like that are in it for the buck & not the life style & everything that comes wth it like life long friends/customers...
Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #35
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:

I like to bring my aged sticks in for an oil change at least once a quarter.

TG and DaBear, thanks for the reality check. Did I mention that I USED TO love pepperoni.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #36
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
How many time have you heard someone taking their cigars in to get "repaired"...?? Smells bad to me.
I have personally repaired several customers cigars when they asked me.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #37
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I have personally repaired several customers cigars when they asked me.
I'm curious; what kind of damage did you repair...??

I've got a lot of cigars at home in my Staebell, and I have a hard time imagining what kind of repairable damage they could incur...??
Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #38
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

RA

I repair my own all the time. Usually cracked wrappers. Always tends to be the sticks without cello. Sometimes I will drop one while re-arranging(3ft drop onto hard woods) or every once in a while the foot or head gets caught while opening the draw in my cabinet or just physically handling them from time to time you can accidentally crack or tear a wrapper. I've also had sticks that came in through a trade etc that I have had to repair. A little pectin and voila, good as new.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #39
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If he feels that his customer base doesn't want the Wolfman, fine, there are plenty of other places out there to get them. I won't assume I know more than he does about what his clientele want.
I'd like to see the Venn diagram indicating the percentage of Tatuaje customers not interested in the Wolfman- I'd imagine it's pretty miniscule. If this guy thinks "nobody wants the Wolfman", why is he carrying Tatuaje in the first place?

As for the mold, it's a little extra distressing to discover it inside a tubo, though that may indicate a problem further up the distribution chain.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #40
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
I'm curious; what kind of damage did you repair...??
Just typical wrapper damage like cracks or splits. Some guys are very cheap, or maybe cost conscious is the right term, and will not toss a cigar for anything and will jump through hoops to be able to smoke it.

Quote:
I've got a lot of cigars at home in my Staebell, and I have a hard time imagining what kind of repairable damage they could incur...??
Ever drop a cigar or drop your travel humidor when it's not full and the cigars have plenty of room to jostle?