Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In your opinion which NC is closest to a CC?

Tom and Peter are right on the money. Someone mentioned Vegeuros. Cuaba is another, that smoked fresh, tastes a lot out of the CC realm. Maybe a Mexican, Nic, inside with an Ecuadoran outside. Not so much Nicaraguan, maybe closer to Dominican. Heck, I don't know. I'm not a blender, I just pretend to be one in this thread.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #22
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Depends on what Cubans you're comparing too. I've had some aged Opus that taste like some Partagas. Personally, I feel that the only advantage that Cubans offer is price over NC's. You can get a very flavorful CC for $4-$5 Where it'll cost you $10+ for a NC that will even come close. But I feel that most CC's are one dimensional.
Interesting perspective. I find the opposite to be true.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Cuaba tastes a lot like a Te-Amo Anniversario and Te-Amo Nic Blend combined. There, I got it.
The easiest way to get the CC flavor is to fetch up some cc's, my brother.
Add Kelly to the list of guys that's right on the money, and I asked this question not so long ago myself.
The answer really is "none".
I have found some nc flavors in cc's, but they're less pronounced and really don't develop because the binder and filler take the forefront.
I enjoy my nc's more than my cc's right now, but I'm headed more and more in the cc direction. The cc's that I like have a lot of nc flavors and nuance. I think the Punch RS11 tastes a LOT like Pepin blnded stuff. I enjoy Cohiba maduros because they have a very nice sweet maduro wrapper that very much compliments the sweet insides, and I like my maduros and oscuros a LOT. Los Statos kinda tastes like a White Owl dipped in saccharin.
Mind ya, those are all a stretch, but I think some brothers might agree. At least they'll agree about the Los Statos.
Those are a good place for you to start, though.
Maybe someone will chime in with a couple "classic cc taste" recommendations so you can taste the extreme opposite end of the cc spectrum.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
klipsch

Quote:
But I feel that most CC's are one dimensional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I'm throwing CC's up against the pricier Tat's and Padron that I typically gravitate to. I had a RASS that had some complexity to it. But again...$4-$5 vs $10-$12+
Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I'm throwing CC's up against the pricier Tat's and Padron that I typically gravitate to. I had a RASS that had some complexity to it. But again...$4-$5 vs $10-$12+
I've smoked $3.00 cc's that offered tons more complexity than $30.00 nc's. Take an old erdm lunch club vs. Don Carlos Anniversario.
I know we put a lot of stock in complexity, but I'm sure there are a lot of smokers who seek out, and even appreciate a 10" one-dimensional cigar like an LFD EL A.
That said, I know exactly what you mean, and I feel much the same.
I'd much rather spend the money for something I really enjoy than to save money on something I don't. That's why I keep trying lots of different stuff.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #26
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

None in my opinion. Pepin comes close in construction though.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #27
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
It's like asking "Which apples taste most like oranges?".
Funny you should say that, because I do have one orange flavored apple in my humi. Or, a box and a half of them anyway.

Partagas Cifuentes Seasonal Blends Junio, I believe.
Last time I had one (almost a year ago) it tasted spot on like a party corona.
So I had another.... it did too... and another.... same result.
So, I bought another box.
Haven't had one since. Who knows, they may taste like rabbit ass now, but they were good.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #28
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Funny you should say that, because I do have one orange flavored apple in my humi. Or, a box and a half of them anyway.

Partagas Cifuentes Seasonal Blends Junio, I believe.
Last time I had one (almost a year ago) it tasted spot on like a party corona.
So I had another.... it did too... and another.... same result.
So, I bought another box.
Haven't had one since. Who knows, they may taste like rabbit ass now, but they were good.
Hmmm... deep fried or char broiled? Personally I can't stand deep fried rabbit ass but you toss that puppy on a charbroiler MMMMMMM...That's good eatin'
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Depends on what Cubans you're comparing too. I've had some aged Opus that taste like some Partagas. Personally, I feel that the only advantage that Cubans offer is price over NC's. You can get a very flavorful CC for $4-$5 Where it'll cost you $10+ for a NC that will even come close. But I feel that most CC's are one dimensional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Quote:
I agree with Peter. Walt, are you smoking mainly "fresh" Cuban cigars. Often it takes some time for complexity to develop..but I have never had an NC, fresh or aged, that came close to some of the Cubans I have had in regards to complexity.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #30
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

As most have mentioned, there is little to no comparison.

The vast majority of my consumption is in cuban cigars, however I don't mind mixing in a Nic Puro from time to time for a different taste. I don't have much of a taste for Honduran/Dominican anymore.

I'd be much more successful in giving a list of cubans that have very strong non-cuban profiles (Los Statos, Cohiba Maduro, RyJ Cazadores).

At the end of the day, I think you should consider 3 key points.

1. Cuban cigars may not be legal in your country.

2. Cuban cigars are almost ALWAYS cheaper than non-cuban cigars at the same 'quality level'

3. Smoke what you like.

Everyday I'm shufflin...

Last edited by tedrodgerscpa; 03-26-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: formatting
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #31
klipsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Walt, are you smoking mainly "fresh" Cuban cigars. Often it takes some time for complexity to develop..but I have never had an NC, fresh or aged, that came close to some of the Cubans I have had in regards to complexity.
I'm going to have to say yes for the most part (1-3 years old). I've got a Punch SS #1 from 92 in the humi. I'll be looking forward to it even more now, based on what your saying above.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I'm going to have to say yes for the most part (1-3 years old). I've got a Punch SS #1 from 92 in the humi. I'll be looking forward to it even more now, based on what your saying above.
Go smoke that homer, Walt. See what you think and get back to us.
If you like those old turds, I bet someone would love to share something else for you to try.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #33
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Tom and Peter are right on the money. Someone mentioned Vegeuros. Cuaba is another, that smoked fresh, tastes a lot out of the CC realm. Maybe a Mexican, Nic, inside with an Ecuadoran outside. Not so much Nicaraguan, maybe closer to Dominican. Heck, I don't know. I'm not a blender, I just pretend to be one in this thread.
I mentioned the Vegueros Scott. Yeah the Cuaba is another Cuban that is similar to a non-Cuban, except for the Salomone. I had one of those and thought it was a great Cuban tasting cigar....or maybe that was a Partagas....hmmm I think it was a Cuaba....have a great weekend everyone!

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #34
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
None in my opinion. Pepin comes close in construction though.
Agree on the flavor. Now about construction ... haven't had that many Pepins ... but I've never had a plugged Pepin.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #35
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

cabiguan or davidoff.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #36
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

I think the Indian Tobac Super Fuerte comes close with the Devil's Weed in a close second...
Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #37
lostark374
Framed

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (5)
ERdM
lostark374 has disabled reputation

This question comes up often. There is no real answer to it (factual or opinionated)... what should be focused on is what cigar you enjoy the most, regardless of origin.

This would be like asking what fast food tastes most like McDonalds. There are many fast-food places out there national, local, global ECT... all have there pluses and minuses. None taste like McDonalds. And further more. Taste like McDonalds what? They have many items on the menu all taste different some like the big Mac some like a quarter pounder ECT.. Are you asking which fast food place tastes like a Quarter pounder? Well I can guarantee you that if you are asking a quarter pounder eaters this question but not specifying the quarter pounder part and you’re looking for other fast food places that taste like mcnuggets you will be disappointed.

Maybe im just rambling... maybe I don’t know S.H.I.T. from shineola take this for what it is........ Not much.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #38
Sanchy

^^^ I understand what you are saying.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #39
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

A great man once said: You asked a question that really has no answer, only opinions.

Ok. . . now that you guys have beaten that dead horse into meatloaf, back to the original question:

Many times I've told people that (IMHO) the Punch Rare Corojo Double Corona (Size: 6-3/4" x 48 ring) is most like the rich flavorful Cuban cigar profile. IMHO means: In My Humble Opinion. . . so there! You asked. I gave an answer!

FWIW:
I have strong opinions about Cuban cigars in the USA. All the books and articles I've read in the last 12 years reiterate that 90 to 95 percent of Cuban cigars in the USA are counterfeit. I cannot disagree with the rock-solid authors who write these books & articles because they have unapproachable credentials in cigar manufacturing. Anyone who knows me or has been to my home, knows I have a collection of cigar books. . . and I've read every one . . . cover to cover! (I'm obsessive compulsive, but therapy ended years ago.) Anyway, I've been fortunate enough to enjoy a few Cubans myself. I can't tell you how many times someone has gifted me one of their prized Cuban cigars. . . only to smoke it and find it to be of Nicaraguan or Ecuadorian tobaccos! One (high profile) member of another cigar forum gifted me a bag full of Cubans. The first one tasted like ship! I tried another and thought the flavor-aroma was familiar. So, I shared the rest with a cigar blender/manufacture. He immediately identified the wrapper as Ecuadorian tobacco. This same scenario has played out with numerous of other "high profile" forum members who fancy themselves as "cigar aficionados" in their own minds. They spend HUGE amounts of money on cigars! (with huge humidor cabinets and/or closets full of cigars!) They think because they buy overseas, they're getting the real deal. I share these examples because many who make the effort to buy Cuban cigars just don't want to believe they are part of the 90-95% getting counterfeit cigars! They wouldn't actually recognize a Cuban cigar because they've been smoking Nicaraguan or Ecuadorian versions . . . counterfeits. But, you'll never convince them. They'll die trying to refute anyone who questions them or their sources! Gee! I hope this didn't offend anyone here! I'm still new and have spent the last decade at a number of other cigar forums. So, no offense to you all. I just don't know you well enough to insult you (yet).

I would love to challenge them (anyone) to a blind-taste-test! Different "puro" cigars from different countries. . . Nicaraguan, Honduran, Mexican, Dominican, Ecuadorian, Cuban, etc. Here's the contest: "Smoke & Tell" where the cigar (tobacco) is from! Now THIS would be MY kind of "All-Day-Herf" contest for a true Cigar Summit!

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #40
lostark374
Framed

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (5)
ERdM
lostark374 has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review!!