Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #21
Wanger

Default Re: Newest Member of the Family!!

Awesome, Jim! We have one ourselves. We call Dudley "horsedog". He's about 175lbs. He's a complete Wuss and afraid of his own shadow. But one bark would scare just about any would be thief off. He thinks he's the size of a chihuahua, and tries to sit on the couch or your lap!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #22
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Congrats Jim.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #23
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I love Mike's Dane Dudley. But I love my Maddie more. Have fun with your small horse.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #24
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

That is a nice looking puppy you have there.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #25
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Congratulations, he is a fine looking puppy!!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #26
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the comments everyone...I'll be sure to keep this updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Great Danes are wonderful dogs, they're 150+ lb lapdogs. I still miss my old Dane. He'd walk up to you when you were on the couch and bump you with his head then step back and look at you. Then he'd do it again. Then take about two steps backwards and to the side, jump, bounce off the wall, slide right down between you and the back cushions on the couch, effectively ejecting you into the middle of the living room floor, then he'd just look at you with his eyes saying "What? I just asked you twice to move..."

I remember having to childproof all the cabinets. And that not even stopping him. He's bust right through the little plastic press-down lock things to get into a cabinet full of cans. I guess he thought he could figure out a way to open them. lol.

And the big sloppy doggie kisses they try and slap you with...

Best thing I ever did for my guy was get him on the diet program from Burt Ward (yes, that Burt Ward, "Robin" from the Batman TV series). Who has sunk a ton of funding into research on scientific diets and what exercise programs for Danes are best and his dogs are getting almost double the expected lifespans, my buddy made it to about 16, which was great for a dog his size (170 something).
That's incredible!! I'll have to look into that diet. I have him on Canidae right now which our family has used for years with great success. He had his first vet visit, and the vet tells us "you should really have him on Science Diet". I wanted to just tell to shut the hell up and examine my dog.

He's been such a loving dog lately, and I've grown up with oversized lap dogs my whole life, so a Dane was a perfect fit for us.

I may be picking your brain via PM if you don't mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
when can I come over and play with the puppy!?!
You know your always welcome at my place...hell, you're usually there before I get home from work...alone...with my wife. Wait a minute...I don't know if you can come over anymore Bao...

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
New puppy herf?

Who's bringing a penguin.
Count me in...I've been craving a herf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Awesome, Jim! We have one ourselves. We call Dudley "horsedog". He's about 175lbs. He's a complete Wuss and afraid of his own shadow. But one bark would scare just about any would be thief off. He thinks he's the size of a chihuahua, and tries to sit on the couch or your lap!!!
I was amazed with the power of the bark of the breeders Danes. They weren't yappy at all...just one or two wall shaking barks. This guys is definitely a snugler...especially with my wife. He thinks he's in charge of the cats, but all it takes is a quick combo from one of them and he comes hauling back to hide between my feet.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #27
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Great looking dog Jim! I've wanted a Dane for sometime now. Maybe after one of mine pass on I will look into one.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #28
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
That's incredible!! I'll have to look into that diet. I have him on Canidae right now which our family has used for years with great success. He had his first vet visit, and the vet tells us "you should really have him on Science Diet". I wanted to just tell to shut the hell up and examine my dog.

He's been such a loving dog lately, and I've grown up with oversized lap dogs my whole life, so a Dane was a perfect fit for us.

I may be picking your brain via PM if you don't mind...
Sure, whatever I can remember I'll be happy to share. I'm sure some things have improved since then too. Like the raw foods that Carlos has recently turned me on to that I've passed along to my brother and his wife for their dog (not a dane though).
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #29
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Nice pup!
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #30
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Nice little pony you got there.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #31
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post

I was amazed with the power of the bark of the breeders Danes. They weren't yappy at all...just one or two wall shaking barks. This guys is definitely a snugler...especially with my wife. He thinks he's in charge of the cats, but all it takes is a quick combo from one of them and he comes hauling back to hide between my feet.
Sounds about right on the cats. He was 14 weeks when we brought him home, and they were boss, and they are STILL boss. Hell, when my dad brings his schnauzer over, she's the boss. It'll take until he's about 2 1/2 to mature (at least that's what it took Dudley).

Here he's scooting onto the couch with our 6yr old to watch cartoons:
Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #32
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Congrats Jim!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #33
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

He doesn't look so big to me. Congrats! Looking at those paws, he's gonna be a big one!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #34
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Sounds about right on the cats. He was 14 weeks when we brought him home, and they were boss, and they are STILL boss. Hell, when my dad brings his schnauzer over, she's the boss. It'll take until he's about 2 1/2 to mature (at least that's what it took Dudley).

Here he's scooting onto the couch with our 6yr old to watch cartoons:
That's awesome. We've noticed Date watches tv too. I grew up with German Shepherds, and they never showed as much interest in the television that this guys does.

Dante definitely recognizes me as the alpha, but he has REALLY been testing my wife. We're trying the "yelp and ignore technique", and I just leave the room with my wife if he gets aggressive towards her so he knows his behavior will not be tolerated. The only time I've scruffed him is if he lunges towards the face because I want to send the message that that is a HUGE no-no.

Last edited by KenyanSandBoa; 01-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.
KenyanSandBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #35
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

I figured I would update this thread with some recent pictures of the "puppy".

As of his last visit to the vet, Dante is now pushing the 100 pound mark at 7 months of age. He is such a loving dog, who just enjoys the company of people. He has successfully scared one pizza delivery guy (little did he know that his back end was wagging with excitement ), but as soon as he gets the ok from me, he's a big lovable goofball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dante - Head Shot.jpg (73.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Dante & Jim.jpg (69.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Special Dante 3.jpg (68.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Dante Resting Head.jpg (50.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #36
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Beautiful dog. Our puppy ash (German Shepherd/Great Dane mix) is 9 months old and she has cleared the 70lb mark. Expecting her to hit 120. Jim, does Dante have the baby Hughy mentality?? Still thinks he is a 10lb puppy??? Ash does, she clears the coffee table with her tail and still jumps into my lap.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #37
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Very nice, congrats!!! Always loved Great Danes just no room for one...lucky you
Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #38
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
Beautiful dog. Our puppy ash (German Shepherd/Great Dane mix) is 9 months old and she has cleared the 70lb mark. Expecting her to hit 120. Jim, does Dante have the baby Hughy mentality?? Still thinks he is a 10lb puppy??? Ash does, she clears the coffee table with her tail and still jumps into my lap.
Oh yeah...he' a lap-dog. We've already lost 3 glasses from him taking out the coffee table...he's pretty much the definition of a "bull in a china shop".

When we're outside playing, he still comes barreling towards you like he's a tiny dog, and then looks at you like "why did you avoid me?" when you move to save your knee caps.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #39
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Have the snakes decided he's too big of a meal for them?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #40
Wanger

LOL Jim. Those shots look ALL too familiar to me. Dudley is LAZY. He literally just lays around all the time. I'm not sure how he's going to do when we move next month. That should be interesting, but I'm sure he'll manage somehow.

We're lucky in that he hasn't taken out anything (aside from the dinner he's stolen off my plate on a couple occasions when I wasn't looking. And I feel like the family is safe when I'm not around with him there. he may be sweet and lovable, but not everyone knows that when he barks at a knock on the door or a doorbell.