Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #21
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Wonder Woman!

Unfortunately the series is not going to happen. A pilot was made and NBC passed on it as having too many problems. So, for now, it is a dead issue.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
My problem with Wonder Woman is not the original character herself (who broke stereotypical gender roles when she was introduced), but the constant need to redefine and revamp her character every couple of years. We don't need a complete makeover each and every year.
She's not the only one, Andy. Both DC and Marvel have put characters through the ringer for maybe 15 years now, feeling the need to shake things up every year or two. Me, I put most of the blame on the "Comics Boom" in the '90s (which coincided with the more-familiar to Inmates "Cigar Boom" of the same period . . . by coincidence??), and which came close to bankrupting the industry when it fizzled. Once "investors" found out that their un-read mint condition bagged-and-boarded alternate cover issue of a comic printed by the millions was NOT gonna fund their retirement, they fled in droves and left the genre to the fanboys . . . where it belongs. But it took the marketing experts at the publishing houses too long to recognize this fact, and to reduce their output to better reflect the diminished market. Thus all the redos, makeovers, crossovers, death and resurrections, and whatever trick they could pull to try and artificially stimulate sales.

Now I understand they are making Aquaman into a villain . . . as if old Bubble-breath scares anybody.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #23
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
She's not the only one, Andy. Both DC and Marvel have put characters through the ringer for maybe 15 years now, feeling the need to shake things up every year or two. Me, I put most of the blame on the "Comics Boom" in the '90s (which coincided with the more-familiar to Inmates "Cigar Boom" of the same period . . . by coincidence??), and which came close to bankrupting the industry when it fizzled. Once "investors" found out that their un-read mint condition bagged-and-boarded alternate cover issue of a comic printed by the millions was NOT gonna fund their retirement, they fled in droves and left the genre to the fanboys . . . where it belongs. But it took the marketing experts at the publishing houses too long to recognize this fact, and to reduce their output to better reflect the diminished market. Thus all the redos, makeovers, crossovers, death and resurrections, and whatever trick they could pull to try and artificially stimulate sales.

Now I understand they are making Aquaman into a villain . . . as if old Bubble-breath scares anybody.
Yes, that is true, but it seems she gets it more than any other big name character (with the exception of GL). Superman, Batman, Spidey, and Wolverine go through lots of changes, but they are the same characters of old. Wonder Woman seems to be rewritten completely every few years.

I was a fan of the 90s stuff. Loved the Death of Superman and Knightfall gimmicks, but you're right that there was way too much and that resulted in the death of the comic book/graphic novel. The industry still isn't out of the woods yet, IMHO. My biggest problem in the 90s were the constant variant covers (foil, gold, different artists, etc) which merely raised the price of the issue by a dollar or two more.

Nice comparison between the Cigar Boom and the Comic Boom.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #24
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

I'd like to see Lisa Raye in that getup!
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
You do know that the "real thing" was created way before Lynda Carter, right?
Who cares?
Good Lord, is she gorgeous.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #26
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

To quote the Beastie Boys, "I'd stick my d*ck in her mash potatoes." Insert banned smiley.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #27
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
To quote the Beastie Boys, "I'd stick my d*ck in her mash potatoes." Insert banned smiley.
John! phftttt! Flag on the play!
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote