Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #3941
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 287 View Post
When asked about the rise in prices, a very common, (and realistic) reply:
"No we aren't price gouging because of recent events. It's the manufacturers. They have stopped making them ! When they are gone, they are gone. That's the issue. "
I would have asked him if he was willing to back that up by betting his balls on it and called him out on this BS.
I am going to two back to back shows this next weekend and the following just so I can see who are the local a..holes I will never patronize even if they are the last to have something I want/need.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #3942
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
Pete I wouldn't consider the Sig 522, it's a better fire arm constructed like its big brother the 556. It also uses the industry standard black dog mags. I had the M&P 15-22 back when they came out and below $400, my sig 522 is twice the rifle.
+1

Although I purchased the M&P 15-22 specifically for ergo training on the AR platform, and a little good ol fashioned fun with the slidefire, the Sig is largely regarded as the superior firearm. Better reliability, eats anything for ammo, etc.

Nutnfancy reviewed it a while back if you got 45 minutes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ilpMzqDq4
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #3943
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Got my holster in yesterday.

Gonna try it out in about an hour when we hit some stores and a hockey game.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #3944
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post

Sweet
Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #3945
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:

I own quite a few holsters but have never gotten one of these kydex with that large leather area and extra side clips. Let us know how that feels as I have always sought the minimal amount if material as possible. Curious as to how the comfort is with this version.
Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #3946
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Looking good, what type of holster is that?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #3947
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
I will remember which scum bag dealers ( and 99% of them are, for years I have commented on how every every scam artist own gun shop) pushed prices 100% over retail. Once the idiot panic buyers leave the market these dealers will have to go back to facing there regulars, and I hope the regulars take there money else were.

If you think about these guys are benefiting from extreme volumes which should make them happy as a pig in slop, but yet they feel the need to double prices.

All the manufactures are running balls to the walls and yet the dealers push blame to them.... I have even heard of numerous complaints were the dealers are even removing the 3 mags out of the box provided by Glock in the gen 4's!!! Another buddy of mine had a Colt AR shipped to dealer and after happily looking over his new rig he noticed the 2 mags were missing that it shipped with. He even contacted the seller who right away told him the were in the case when it shipped......

Sorry guys rant over
ehhhhhhhh

regarding taking mags out of the boxes, that's just low and despicable...

(note that it is not my intent for this to be a defense of scumbag dealers, just an economic commentary on why raising your prices should NOT automatically make you a scumbag dealer, that title should be earned through other actions, like the jackass mentioned earlier in the thread that tried to raise the price on a forum member's rifle AFTER the member had already put money down on it and reserved it at the previous price. THAT is a scumbag.)

but in terms of prices, a counterpoint argument to that would be the need/demand based viewpoint of a classical economist. One could argue that BOTH business models (mark prices up and leave them the same) serve a viable and necessary role side-by-side in the overall consumer buying experience.

At times of high demand, the venders who leave their prices the same will sell out instantly. When they get in new stock, there will be a short rush, and then they're sold out again. This means that some customers, regardless of whether they "wanted" that rifle a lot or just thought now might be a good time to buy it (impulse buy), some will get it, some will not. Customers that get one are happy, customers that don't get one will continue hunting for it and hope they get lucky next time.

But for the vendors that mark up their prices, I'll argue that serve a different market. Sure, you're not happy with them, but that's OK, because honestly, you're not their targeted customer, economically speaking. I'll interject a personal example to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

I'm moving out of the country in 10 weeks. I'll be gone for a year. But for the sake of argument, lets say I'm leaving in 3 weeks. I NEED to buy anything I want before I go. I don't have a choice in this matter. In that case, I'll try my hand with the cheaper deal lottery like everyone else, at least for a week... but then my personal demand for the product rises and I'm willing to pay more to have it right now. Or maybe my father's birthday is next week and I really have a specific item in mind for him. In those cases, I have outside mitigating factors that make me willing to pay more for the convenience of having an item RIGHT NOW than you would be.

In that instance, a vendor who chooses to inflate his prices becomes a good thing, because that vendor will the only one available that still has stock on hand to cater to the smaller group of customers that have a higher demand and need for the product than the average buyer. I am grateful for a system that not only votes with it's dollars, BUT ALSO recognizes the inherent value in having both types of vendors in the marketplace. If everyone were forced to keep their prices low, by dearth of law or simply sheer terror of guaranteed and immediate public shunning, then someone like me with a higher need for the product would be S.O.L. when it came time to buy.

The market needs a balance, enough fear of the public voting $$'s that most will keep their prices low and let the public play the supply lottery, but also enough understanding from the public that some vendors can raise their prices and cater to the other side of the market that has a higher need for the product right now. If everyone had high prices, there would be a segment of the market (those unwilling or unable to pay higher prices) left out in the cold. But equally, if everyone had cheap prices, there would be a segment of the market (those able to, or willing to pay the higher prices) also left out in the cold. We need both!

I see a lot of people angrily decry that they will vote with their dollars elsewhere when this is over, which is fine, I support and encourage the capitalist system's freedom to do so. But when raising prices suddenly becomes synonymous with scumbag, I have to draw the line there. It seems that some of the persecution leveraged at the higher priced vendors is just a misunderstanding that they are serving a different market, but a valid market nevertheless. In those cases, I'm sad to see the consumer voting with their dollars like that over a misunderstanding...

I have purchased some stripped lowers at higher prices than necessary for this exact reason. In stock, or shipping before the end of January is my target. If I was willing to wait until March to have my product, I would have had many many more options in terms of what I purchased. (legislation won't take effect until after that anyway). But I needed the product now, so I paid the higher price for the in stock lower instead of the backorder one.

just my on the subject (I also happened to be an economics major in college, which influences my view a bit )

Last edited by spectrrr; 01-06-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #3948
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
Looking good, what type of holster is that?
I believe his was made by tommy theis of theisholsters.com
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #3949
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I own quite a few holsters but have never gotten one of these kydex with that large leather area and extra side clips. Let us know how that feels as I have always sought the minimal amount if material as possible. Curious as to how the comfort is with this version.
Enjoy!
I havn't either, but I might get one for my next holster... having the extra leather behind the slide to keep it from digging into me just looks damned comfortable to me!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #3950
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Enjoy!
Bit of a minimalist myself, here are my 3 I usually use. Ankle mainly for the winter, little neoprene one just to throw in my lower back. They all fit my compact or full size.

Name:  DSCF4250 (600 x 400).jpg
Views: 249
Size:  41.3 KB
Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #3951
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Guess this is one way to jump start the economy, start a gun control debate.
Finally a stimulus plan that works....
Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #3952
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Can't wait for my pj holster to come in
Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #3953
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Can't wait for my pj holster to come in
What do you have on order?
I am waiting for a replacement for my LCP as gave mine to my son for his that was recently purchased. Gave son both the holster and mag holder and ordered new ones for me.
10 days into the order but Paul is now running 4 weeks out rather than his usual 2-3.
I absolutely love his stuff. Simplest, lightest, most unnoticeable of all holsters.
Here is my Shield's.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #3954
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

He's making one for my kahr cw45. I had one for my cm9 when I had one and loved it
Old 01-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #3955
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
He's making one for my kahr cw45. I had one for my cm9 when I had one and loved it
It's like going "commando".
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #3956
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
What do you have on order?
I am waiting for a replacement for my LCP as gave mine to my son for his that was recently purchased. Gave son both the holster and mag holder and ordered new ones for me.
10 days into the order but Paul is now running 4 weeks out rather than his usual 2-3.
I absolutely love his stuff. Simplest, lightest, most unnoticeable of all holsters.
Here is my Shield's.

Those are pretty slick!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #3957
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Check out a profile photo.
"Commando"!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #3958
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Check out a profile photo.
"Commando"!!!

Ya, I really like those
Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #3959
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Yeh mike those holsters weigh nothing
Old 01-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #3960
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Yeh mike those holsters weigh nothing
Maybe a bday gift!