Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #3641
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pete View Post
What kind of ammo are you guys using for HD (specifically in 9mm)?
In my rotation 124gr +p goldot and 147gr federal hst
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #3642
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Not really sure what you mean regarding grip.
These are not .380 weapons. They are large.
I think lack of knowledge/experience with them may have you confused.
Here is a photo with the 8 round mag (extended mag as with the XD) as opposed to dpstandard one of 7.
I have larger than average hands overall and the grip is fine.
I really think you need to see them in person, feel them, shoot them, and only then will you really know what suits you.
As for accuracy, it is false to think longer barrel guarantees that.
I can shoot a shorter barrel but heavier weapon and probably be as accurate as with any long barrel that may be lighter. The weight of the gun has a major effect on recoil, along with your choice of ammo.
Other than the extra round with the 9, any additional reason you chose this over the 40? I have been half looking for a shield and xds .45 but no one can keep them in. The largest retailer around me says the 9mm shields are all spoken for on the next couple orders at the rate their going. Just wondering what's making the 9 that much more desirable
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #3643
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Andrew, I bet ammo price and recoil play a factor.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #3644
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
And availability
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #3645
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Well I managed to pick up 2 possibly 4 hundred round of .223 online today
I just added a bunch of plinker ammo to my cart that was showing in stock. When to check out and I got this message

We're sorry, Product is not currently in stock. It's expected in our warehouse on August 12, 2013 and will be shipped to you within 24 hours after its arrival.

Quote:
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And availability
And this.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #3646
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And availability
Eh 9, 40, and 45 can all be found pretty readily, at least online

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
I just added a bunch of plinker ammo to my cart that was showing in stock. When to check out and I got this message

We're sorry, Product is not currently in stock. It's expected in our warehouse on August 12, 2013 and will be shipped to you within 24 hours after its arrival.
you need to find somewhere else to buy ammo...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #3647
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Eh 9, 40, and 45 can all be found pretty readily, at least online

you need to find somewhere else to buy ammo...
prettymuch everywhere is sold out at this point. But that will improve in a few months.

Wont stop me from picking some up now on deal if I see it though! Can you ever have too much?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #3648
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
No offense guys but lets keep the politics out of here for the most part so Peter doesn't walk in here and shut this thread down.

As far as ammo goes, go watch tnoutdoors9 on youtube. He's done alot of ammo tests on various SD rounds.
This has nothing to do with me.

It is the ToE that would deal with any violation of the rules and guidelines the ToE has established and expects the membership to abide by. The ToE thanks all of you for your cooperation and understanding.

Oh. And Justin.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #3649
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
This has nothing to do with me.

It is the ToE that would deal with any violation of the rules and guidelines the ToE has established and expects the membership to abide by. The ToE thanks all of you for your cooperation and understanding.

Oh. And Justin.

I know Peter but you came in here not too long ago and issued a warning to the people in the thread, so I mentioned you and Peter...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #3650
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
prettymuch everywhere is sold out at this point. But that will improve in a few months.

Wont stop me from picking some up now on deal if I see it though! Can you ever have too much?
Nope. What kind of ammo you looking for?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #3651
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pete View Post
What kind of ammo are you guys using for HD (specifically in 9mm)?
little link I found

but the hst has a wicked looking expended pedal

Last edited by theonlybear4CORT; 12-27-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #3652
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Here's the youtube channel to look through

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/videos?view=0
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #3653
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Nope. What kind of ammo you looking for?
lord, what am I not..

I'd say my most pressing concern is my 9mm on hand is considerably lower than the rest that I have. Besides that, .223 (always), maybe 7.62x39 if its cheap enough, I'm keeping an eye out for some mid quality .22 ammo at cut rate prices (Got a bunch of the golden bullets, but those are SH!T).

I'd also pick up anything CHEAP I found in .30 06 / .308 win / 7.62x51 - one of those calibers is on the horizon for hunting, and I figured if I get the wrong caliber, I can always trade it/sell it for the one I need later.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #3654
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

9mm ball or jhp?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #3655
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...l-metal-jacket
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104532480

9mm

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....er_id=&sort=8a
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...115gr-9mm.html

30-06

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....l-metal-jacket
Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #3656
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

mmm, nice, thanks
Just cheap target practice ammo for the 9mm. Pistol shooting is a skill that takes a lot of practice to perform even adequately!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #3657
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
Other than the extra round with the 9, any additional reason you chose this over the 40? I have been half looking for a shield and xds .45 but no one can keep them in. The largest retailer around me says the 9mm shields are all spoken for on the next couple orders at the rate their going. Just wondering what's making the 9 that much more desirable
As others have said, cost of ammo, availability of ammo and primary one for me, recoil. I was not sure how a .40 would be in the thinner M&P.
I had it in my hands and meant to get a .40 that day but was a last second decision to go with the nine at suggestion of my son and salesman.
From all I have spoken to, majority note minimal recoil difference.
Other than ammo, can't go wrong with either.

I recommend you check regularly with Shoot Straight. They are a big S&W dealer and seem to have them more often. That is where I got mine. They are all over Florida. Not sure if in any other states. Also, they sell them at non jacked up prices, at suggested retail of $449.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #3658
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

A proud moment in any Dad's life, when his son gets his first real gun. My 10yr old Max, got an Old Henry Golden Boy .22 for Christmas. Just waiting for it to warm up before we go out and shoot it and I get to teach him firearm safety. Very proud.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #3659
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
A proud moment in any Dad's life, when his son gets his first real gun. My 10yr old Max, got an Old Henry Golden Boy .22 for Christmas. Just waiting for it to warm up before we go out and shoot it and I get to teach him firearm safety. Very proud.
AWESOME!

Some of the most cherished memories I carry of my father are of my guns and my tools, because he gave me my first ones, and taught me how to use them correctly.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #3660
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Question for you guys here.. Been shooting a long time. I have read so much about 115gr vs 124gr for 9mm.

I am trying to understand the difference and see what may be best.. for target and carry. I have been real close to ordering 100's of rounds online, to save. I have thought about the 1000 rounds or a few 100 rounds of different brands/grains.

Any suggestions? I have a Ruger LC9.