Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #341
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

Use it, but feel the same when I don't- which is when we travel. I'm thinking that it's a bit of a racket for me. I'm sure it helps some, I just think these folks tell everyone they have apnea after the test, no matter what- mine is "mild" but I still should use the equipment for $250 a month or whatever it is.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #342
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I really like mine -- I have been using a CPAP for almost 12 years. I sleep better and feel better. The only times I have an issue are when the cushion on my mask starts to get worn out enough that it does not seal as well or when the straps on the mask need to be tightened... Fortunately, my insurance provides me with a new mask every three months.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #343
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

it looks like my apnea has almost disappeared after losing over 100lbs. Last week, the night after my surgery, I was in the hospital at the medium care. I had a sore throat and decided with the medical staff not to wear my cpap mask, they would monitor my sleep and if they decided that I should wear it anyway they would tell me. I only had 3 or 4 apneas that night, while a couple of years ago I would have have 3 every 2 minutes.

So in a few months, when I lost another 60 of 70lbs, I will file for a new sleep study to see what happens and if I can sleep without my cpap from then.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #344
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Ferdie!! I can't fall sleep without mine. It's become my security blanket.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #345
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
it looks like my apnea has almost disappeared after losing over 100lbs. Last week, the night after my surgery, I was in the hospital at the medium care. I had a sore throat and decided with the medical staff not to wear my cpap mask, they would monitor my sleep and if they decided that I should wear it anyway they would tell me. I only had 3 or 4 apneas that night, while a couple of years ago I would have have 3 every 2 minutes.

So in a few months, when I lost another 60 of 70lbs, I will file for a new sleep study to see what happens and if I can sleep without my cpap from then.
That's great news, Ferd.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #346
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Good news, Ferdinand.

I am scheduled for part 2 of my most recent sleep study in early December to get my prescription for CPAP. Hoping it makes the difference for me that so many others say it has made for them.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #347
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Congrats Ferd!!

I've found I sleep much easier with a CPAP. I do tend to sleep with out it, but only when I get really uncomfortable with it on, or I'm willing to sleep that much longer. But that happens maybe once or twice every time I get a break from school.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #348
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

That is great news!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 AM   #349
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

fun part is, the health insurance decided it was time for me to get a new machine. So the service contracter just brought me a brand new respironics cpap, much smaller and better than the old one.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #350
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Used my new (first) CPAP for the first time last night...and woke up with a problem called aerophagia. It seems I swallowed air all night and filled my intestines up with air. The pain was nasty, and my stomach etc is still all messed up. I am not going to use the machine again until I see the doc in person, sounds like I could do some damage to my colon if I continue with this. F**k.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #351
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Used my new (first) CPAP for the first time last night...and woke up with a problem called aerophagia. It seems I swallowed air all night and filled my intestines up with air. The pain was nasty, and my stomach etc is still all messed up. I am not going to use the machine again until I see the doc in person, sounds like I could do some damage to my colon if I continue with this. F**k.
Hoping it gets better Tom! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #352
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Hoping it gets better Tom! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks M.J....kinda sucks that the first night using something that I thought might improve my life made the following day so miserable.

I am not giving up, I need to speak to the doc. I understand that sleeping with CPAP itself will take some getting used to....but I am not going to even try to get used to the aerophagia.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #353
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Thanks M.J....kinda sucks that the first night using something that I thought might improve my life made the following day so miserable.

I am not giving up, I need to speak to the doc. I understand that sleeping with CPAP itself will take some getting used to....but I am not going to even try to get used to the aerophagia.
Damn Tom, that sucks. You using a full face mask? Is that something the doc said you needed? I've been using my CPAP for about 3 1/2 years now and I've never had that problem.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #354
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

First couple nights are rough Tom. I thought to myself "I will NEVER get used to this." A week later, it became part of my routine. I used a "nose only" mask the first night...opened my mouth and damn near suffocated. The next day I had a "full face" mask and haven't had an issue since (2 1/2 years later). Stick with it brother!!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #355
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Damn Tom, that sucks. You using a full face mask? Is that something the doc said you needed? I've been using my CPAP for about 3 1/2 years now and I've never had that problem.
I have the nose only mask....kept waking up snoring because my mouth would open. This was apparently when I was swallowing all the air, Pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
First couple nights are rough Tom. I thought to myself "I will NEVER get used to this." A week later, it became part of my routine. I used a "nose only" mask the first night...opened my mouth and damn near suffocated. The next day I had a "full face" mask and haven't had an issue since (2 1/2 years later). Stick with it brother!!
I am going to inquire about the "full face" mask today, Mac.

Thanks for the support guys.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #356
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I hope you can get in to see your doc soon Tom!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #357
chicken
Life is good

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
chicken is on a distinguished road

It really does make a difference.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #358
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

I have been using mine for about 2 years and notice a big difference.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #359
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

All I notice so far is a big difference in my bloated stomach.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #360
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I've been prodding my BIL to get his apnea checked out. He stops breating for over a minute at times. He's probably 5-10 & 260 lbs, so weight is obviously a factor.

Anyway, I'll keep you in my prayers Tom. My step-dad is also a big benefactor of the CPAP machines. I hope you find what configuration works best for you.