Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #3081
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
Got ya.. That is my main part too.. This is a smaller gun than I had before. I want to shot way more than I did with the other one. I want to carry this gun, so I want to know it inside and out...
If you're going to carry it you should also look into a nice concealment holster and practice your draw pretty frequently
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #3082
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Unless you plan on reloading or loading your own rounds, using only carry ammo when you practice is going to start hurting your bank account badly, very quickly.

My wife and I average 300 rounds per practice session. I buy quality 180gr. FMJ practice ammo from Bass Pro Shops at approx. $18 per box of 50. Total with shipping, around $125.

If I was to maintain the same level of practice with my carry ammo (Speer Gold Dot 165gr. JHP), at $25 per box of 20, the average cost of ammunition alone per practice session would be: $375 before shipping.

I've always maintained that a good amount of practice per week is 100 rounds down range. 150 per person per session makes the trip worthwhile and not to mention: Shooting stuff is fun! $400 a week in ammo costs alone would make that impossible.

However, granting the above points... My wife and I BOTH put 1 (16 rounds) magazine of carry ammo down range per trip in order to keep the additional recoil and other factors in mind.

Oh, I also HIGHLY recommend Snap Caps. An EXCELLENT tool for practicing malfunction drills when at home or at the range.

Another reason I love the Springfield XDM. The tactile loaded chamber and cocked firing pin indicators. As long as you can feel the indicators, light or night, you know if your weapon is ready for action.

I hope all this made sense.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #3083
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Snap cap? The fake ammo?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #3084
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Quote:
Snap cap? The fake ammo?
Yup. Love them. They are absolutely an essential part of my range loadout.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #3085
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I thought about but then yesterday... Wasn't exactly sure on what to do. I'll have to research it.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #3086
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Also, on the point of practice ammo. I used to find completely blank, white cardboard boxes of ammo at my local gun store. Extremely cheap, too. I disregarded them as probably crap. Boy was I mistaken. I finally asked the guy behind the counter and he told me they were unmarked boxes of Federal FMJ. Like $5 cheaper per box! I was still skeptical until he opened a box. Even had nickel plated casings! When you see a deal, it definitely pays to at least inquire.

Practice ammo i buy: Winchester, American Eagle, PMC, Federal white box when I can find it.

Last edited by Catfish; 08-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #3087
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Great info. Thanks!

I am hitting the range today.. First time shooting the LC9!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #3088
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Lookin' forward to a report.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #3089
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Me too.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #3090
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Pmc 115gr fmj 50rd Box for $10.49

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?co...ronze%2050/Box
Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #3091
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Might have to snag a few of those up
Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #3092
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlybear4CORT View Post
Thanks for the lead on another ammo site!!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #3093
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikepd View Post
If you are looking for range ammo for getting used to your gun and how it fires and dialing it in, I would suggest what you would regularly load in it. Shooting a different ammo at the range than you would use regularly is like practice batting with a different bat than you would use in a ball game.
I had this same discussion on another board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Unless you plan on reloading or loading your own rounds, using only carry ammo when you practice is going to start hurting your bank account badly, very quickly.

My wife and I average 300 rounds per practice session. I buy quality 180gr. FMJ practice ammo from Bass Pro Shops at approx. $18 per box of 50. Total with shipping, around $125.

If I was to maintain the same level of practice with my carry ammo (Speer Gold Dot 165gr. JHP), at $25 per box of 20, the average cost of ammunition alone per practice session would be: $375 before shipping.

I've always maintained that a good amount of practice per week is 100 rounds down range. 150 per person per session makes the trip worthwhile and not to mention: Shooting stuff is fun! $400 a week in ammo costs alone would make that impossible.

However, granting the above points... My wife and I BOTH put 1 (16 rounds) magazine of carry ammo down range per trip in order to keep the additional recoil and other factors in mind.

Oh, I also HIGHLY recommend Snap Caps. An EXCELLENT tool for practicing malfunction drills when at home or at the range.

Another reason I love the Springfield XDM. The tactile loaded chamber and cocked firing pin indicators. As long as you can feel the indicators, light or night, you know if your weapon is ready for action.

I hope all this made sense.
Agreed!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #3094
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

LC9 is awesome! Love the way it feels and shoots. I feel much better with this gun than the Sigma .40 I had.

Not a big shooting day but we(wife and I) put 100 rounds through it. I need to get at least 2 more mag's for it.. Will make it faster to shoot at the range and less time consuming.

Overall, right now, I am VERY please with this purchase. Good money spent, I think!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #3095
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
LC9 is awesome! Love the way it feels and shoots. I feel much better with this gun than the Sigma .40 I had.

Not a big shooting day but we(wife and I) put 100 rounds through it. I need to get at least 2 more mag's for it.. Will make it faster to shoot at the range and less time consuming.

Overall, right now, I am VERY please with this purchase. Good money spent, I think!
That's important, you have to feel comfortable with the guns you shoot
Old 08-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #3096
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
Feel way more comfortable then I did with the sigma.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #3097
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann

How was the recoil with the LC9?

I've been a little interested in one
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #3098
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Not as bad as I thought it would be for how small and light it is.. Compared to the .40, a little less.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #3099
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Pick up a Uplula. It makes reloading mags much faster. You can reload a 15 round mag in less than a minute.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #3100
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
I had a Sigma .40 it just felt cheap and not well made when fired.....
Closed Thread