Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #2301
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
You're competing for real @ 1000 yds. I'm playing with 8" plates @ 1000 yds....LOL. GOOD LUCK with the competition.

What are you shooting? I'm still toying with 175 gr .308 loads and am pretty consistent with 10" steel. 8" is 'hit or miss'. I can't keep the .308 supersonic and it's always moving a bit. Even more so when it gets Florida hot.

I'm interested in building a .338 'something'

When are you heading back this way again?

My range is only about 2.5 hrs south of Brent's place.
Yep this weekend I'll be running with the top dogs at the Regionals...

I'm gonna shoot my 6.5x47L....the X ring is only 5" at a 1000 and the complete 10 ring is obviously 10"

I get my Short barreled .308 to 1000 pretty easy and accurate Shawn with ...44 Grains varget w/175 SMK's with Lapua Brass...I wouldn't bother with the 168's past 600...but don't discount the 155 Scenars!!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #2302
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcop View Post
Yep this weekend I'll be running with the top dogs at the Regionals...

I'm gonna shoot my 6.5x47L....the X ring is only 5" at a 1000 and the complete 10 ring is obviously 10"

I get my Short barreled .308 to 1000 pretty easy and accurate Shawn with ...44 Grains varget w/175 SMK's with Lapua Brass...I wouldn't bother with the 168's past 600...but don't discount the 155 Scenars!!
I run 44 gr 4064 with 168 @ 600 and have no issues with 5"

I'll try Varget w/175. 4064 is accurate in my rifle.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #2303
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Picked up my rifle at lunch today and put what I had on it after work today. Still waiting on the titanium can to be made and I have to drop the rifle off to be threaded next week. Last thing I want to order is a good cheek rest. Here's what it looks like right now. Factory test firing produced a .24 group with 3 shots.

Very nice
Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #2304
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I'm looking to begin reloading my own rifle/pistol shells. In the past I reloaded shotgun shells when I shot trap with my old man but the brass reloading looks to be more complicated. Anyone who reloads have any suggestions for a first purchase setup? Any information would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #2305
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

HdM

Hal,

Depending on how many pistol shells your gonna reload...if hundreds than I'd definetely get a progressive press for that task. If your only loading fifty or so once in a while then a single stage will do you and you will have it for your rifle reloading as well.

A good single stage press will serve you well such as a RCBS Rock Chucker or similar type press, get yourself a Lee handprimer, scale, trickler, dies, calipers for measuring and some misc, that should get you started.

Depending on how far and where you want to go with your reloading it will or could ultimately end up looking like this!!! and this is just part of mine!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #2306
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Cigarcop whats the thing with the two propane tanks on it in the first picture? for melting lead?

HK3, If you have a friend that reloads try his set up out. My friend allows me to reload at his place and has a nice dillon 550( I think) progressive reloader. I love the set up and think I may get one for myself one day, once I convince the gf I wont blow myself up. the dillons are super nice! he has a 3 machine setup, one for 9's 45's and 223. if I did as much reloading as he did I would like the same set up.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #2307
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Dude, that's an extreme setup!

Good advice. I have a local buddy who reloads so I will see if he will show me his setup and let me watch him run it a few times. As far as brass goes, is it better in your opinion to buy some nice lapua and black hills shells and reload them after shooting or just buy empty brass? I guess what I'm asking is... is their a quality advantage or benefit from using different types of brass?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #2308
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Cigarcop whats the thing with the two propane tanks on it in the first picture? for melting lead?

HK3, If you have a friend that reloads try his set up out. My friend allows me to reload at his place and has a nice dillon 550( I think) progressive reloader. I love the set up and think I may get one for myself one day, once I convince the gf I wont blow myself up. the dillons are super nice! he has a 3 machine setup, one for 9's 45's and 223. if I did as much reloading as he did I would like the same set up.
That's a Bench Source brass annealer, brings back case hardened brass to its softer state.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #2309
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

HdM

Quote:
Dude, that's an extreme setup!

Good advice. I have a local buddy who reloads so I will see if he will show me his setup and let me watch him run it a few times. As far as brass goes, is it better in your opinion to buy some nice lapua and black hills shells and reload them after shooting or just buy empty brass? I guess what I'm asking is... is their a quality advantage or benefit from using different types of brass?
Hal, Lapua is about as good as you can get, but depending on what your needs are Black Hills or Federal Gold Match may work just fine. If you want to push your loads hard get the Lapua!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #2310
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Hal, Lapua is about as good as you can get, but depending on what your needs are Black Hills or Federal Gold Match may work just fine. If you want to push your loads hard get the Lapua!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #2311
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice setup!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #2312
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
I picked up a reloading kit yesterday. Going to mount it to the bench today and start reading how it works. Do you have any powder recommendations?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #2313
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

HdM

Quote:
I picked up a reloading kit yesterday. Going to mount it to the bench today and start reading how it works. Do you have any powder recommendations?
Hal,
If your reloading for .308 I'd start with Varget and prob never use anything else!! Great velocity and not Temp sensitive.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #2314
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Hal,
If your reloading for .308 I'd start with Varget and prob never use anything else!! Great velocity and not Temp sensitive.
Excellent. Can you PM me a good recipe for accuracy? Powder, grain, bullets, etc..
Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #2315
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hal,

Depending on how many pistol shells your gonna reload...if hundreds than I'd definetely get a progressive press for that task. If your only loading fifty or so once in a while then a single stage will do you and you will have it for your rifle reloading as well.

A good single stage press will serve you well such as a RCBS Rock Chucker or similar type press, get yourself a Lee handprimer, scale, trickler, dies, calipers for measuring and some misc, that should get you started.

Depending on how far and where you want to go with your reloading it will or could ultimately end up looking like this!!! and this is just part of mine!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

What a set-up but I don't see a cigar cutter on the bench...lol
Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #2316
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Smoking and gun powder dont mix very well.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #2317
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Smoking and gun powder dont mix very well.
You're kiddin me, it sounds like a blast!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #2318
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Just ordered my first Sig, a P226 E2 in 9mm! Hopefully should have it by early next week.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #2319
BC-Axeman

I don't even have a place near me that I can see 1000 yds. freely. I was just out shooting 300 yds. with a bunch of different guns, from .223 to .300WM without a problem at all in a 5" circle. It was a lot of fun but left me wanting more of a challenge. Even my old '03 Springfield .30-06 is accurate in standing pose at that distance. I'm ready for these longer distances you guys are talking about but I have nowhere near by.
I thought my reload room was getting too much stuff but now that I have seen Cigarcop's I think I am justified in spending a few more thousand dollars on it.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #2320
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

HdM

The event I was in (1000 Yrds shoot) this past weekend went well except for Sat when the winds were 20 mph+ and switching at some points making it very difficult to read the conditions. On Sunday the winds weren't that bad and I won the match that day shooting a 197 out of 200 with only 3 shots in the 9 ring....11 shots were in the X ring
The overall results won't be posted till next week.
Closed Thread