Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #201
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '10-'11

So I've goofed around long enough, and need to get to this. Scores of note (to me, anyway) from last night includes one stunner:

Mississippi 71 - Kentucky 69 = The Rebels hit a late 3 to steal one at home against the Wildcats. I did not think they had a chance at beating UK, which is just one more indication of how dumb I am. Maybe Cal was right to whine about his lack of depth.

Wichita State 70 - Indiana State 54 = Though I am not shocked that the Shockers won the game, I did feel it would be a lot closer than this. The win puts them 1/2-game up in the MVC, and drops the Sycamores into 4th.

Wisconsin 66 - Purdue 59 = But I can't say I'm even a bit surprised by this. I espected a low-scoring and tight contest, and we got one. It would have been even tighter had the 'Makers made more shots, as they only managed to score 19 in the first half.

Florida 65 - Vanderbilt 61 (OT) = Well, I told you to flip a coin on this one, since both teams have been suffering from ADD all season long. They will win a few, then lose a few, then win, then lose, then win. But at least they are consistently inconsistent.

Kansas 88 - Texas Tech 66 = And I also told you this would be no contest at all. The Jayhawks improve to 6-1 in the Big 12. However, if they want to catch Texas (7-0) they not only have to continue to win their games, they will need some help from somebody else. They have no head-to-head with the Longhorns left on their schedule. Their best bet? Hope that Rick Barnes pulls his traditional crap, and blows a few from the bench.

North Carolina 106 - Boston College 74 = And I told you that this one might go down to the wire. Again, how dumb am I? The Heels spanked the Eagles up in Boston, and Harrison Barnes topped his newly-minted season high set against NCSU Saturday by scoring 26. UNC moves into a tie with Duke atop the ACC, and if they get some help from the Terps tonight, they shall own it alone. Have they turned things around? It's still too early for me to say that . . . lemme see them squash ten or twelve more teams first.

There is a bunch of action scheduled tonight, barring more postponements due to weather. For instance, last night's Baylor/Oklahoma game was moved to this afternoon, with the Bears owning a 5-point bulge at the half. Other games include:

Minnesota vs. Indiana = The Hoosiers did manage to beat Illinois in Bloomington, so they are certainly capable of beating the Gophers too. I don't see it happening, but remember . . . I did not see Ole Miss beating UK either.

West Virginia vs. Seton Hall = And the Pirates absolutely crushed the Orange in the Dome not long ago, so they too have a shot in Morgantown. Yet again, I don't expect that to happen.

Hofstra vs. George Mason = Both of these want to stay as near the top of the CAC as possible, and with their competition for that lead playing the "have-nots" of the league, they both will want this win tonight. I look for a close fight to the finish in Fairfax.

Syracuse vs. U. Conn = This may be the premier marquee matchup of the night up in icy Hartford (as opposed to snowbound Syracuse). After winning their first 18, the 'Cuse has dropped 4 in a row. It gets no easier for them tonight. Then again, it might not be so easy for the Huskies either, coming off their homecourt heartbreaker against Louisville. I dunno why, but I have a feeling Boeheim will turn his boys around this evening.

Villanova vs. Marquette = And I'd expect this one to be as good a game as the one above. These two are pretty even, and either is capable of playing a good game. 'Nova has home court, so maybe they have the slight edge. But they just lost to the Hoyas in Philly, and thus I'd not bet the farm on it.

Virginia Tech vs. N.C. State = The Wolfpack is coming off that whuppin' by the Heels in Chapel Hill, and are probably glad to be in Raleigh tonight. The Hokies have, at times, played much better than NCSU, yet they have had some problems on the road. It does not look as if either team will make a serious move in the ACC, but both look to still be in contention for post-season play, be it NCAA, NIT, or one of those "Hunh?" tourneys. This one might be better than you'd think.

BYU vs. Wyoming = And this one should be over by the half. I don't care if it's in Laramie or not, and I don't care that I consider BYU to be grossly over-rated . . . the Coyboys don't have the horses to corral the Cougars. But while we're on the subject, explain this one to me . . . the Stormin' Mormans lost their last game to an unranked New Mexico squad, after beating rival San Diego State in the previous game. Subsequently, the Aztecs drop from 4th to 7th in the national ranks, while the Cougars drop from 9th to . . . 8th? What? And just how many votes does Joseph Smith get? Hey, it's not as if I really care all that much about this ranking nonsense, but I'd at least hope for some sensible nonsense.

Alabama vs. Mississippi State = The Tide is on top of the SEC West, and when you consider their overall 13-7 record, they'd better stay there if they want to Dance come March. The Bulldogs are coming off a huge win against the Gators, which got them to .500 in league play, and up a step above garbage with their 11-9 mark. This might just be the smallest of the big games this evening, for I don't think it much matters who wins . . . they both have a fairly high stinkage rating.

UTEP vs. UCF = I find this game interesting for two reasons. First, I wonder if, after opening their season 14-0, can the Orlando Mickeys ever win another game? Second, UTEP is involved in a 7-team logjam for the CUSA crown, with all 7 clustered between 5-2 and 4-3 in league play. Others in that dogpile include:

Southern Mississippi vs. UAB = As you might gather from the above, this one is vital for both teams to keep them in that dogpile cited above. Plus, it is just as vital for . . .

SMU vs. East Carolina = And if that's not enough to get your attention, consider that . . .

Memphis vs. Tulsa = . . . all 7 of those CUSA teams are in action tonight, with 6 of them going head-to-head! Although you can't honestly call this "Moving Day", you may get some idea of how big a night it might be for these guys. Whatever you do, stay tuned.

Nebraska vs. Kansas State = The Cornhuskers, believe it or not, have actually played some pretty decent ball lately, losing close ones to Missouri and Kansas, and beating Texas A&M by 9 points. Meanwhile, the disintegration of K-State continues, for not only have they lost 5 of their last 7 games, their top underclassman Wally Judge has just quit the team. What with their best players graduating after this season, this means that next year may be as much a challenge to them at this one has become. Don't forget . . . before the season started, many "experts" pencilled them into the Final Four! (To be fair, Michigan State was also considered chalk, so that shows you what the experts know.) I'm not going to say the 'Huskers will take this one in that other Manhattan, but I will say I won't be shocked if they do.

Iowa vs. Michigan State = And speaking of the Spartans, they'd better do something quick if they want to keep Izzo's NCAA streak alive. Tonight's game in Iowa City would be a good place for them to start, since, as bad as MSU has been, the Hawkeyes have been worse . . . much worse.

Duke vs. Maryland = In College Park, and for some strange reason, not in Cameron! So despite appearances to the contrary, the Blue Devils actually DO play road games! Speaking of which, they are coming off that embarrassment to St. John's in MSG on Sunday, and it is hard to predict how that will affect them tonight. Sometimes it focuses a team, and sometimes it gives them a hangover. If the latter, the Terps are certainly capable of taking advantage of the situation, dropping Dook below the Heels in the ACC. I don't expect that, but it would not surprise me . . . and one can always hope.

Clemson vs. Virginia = The Cavs are pretty much out of that race already, but the Tigers are lumped in with 3 others for 4th, so they still have an outside shot. When one considers that the other 2 teams in that "lump" also play tonight . . . the aforementioned Hokies and Terps . . . one can see that this is almost as big a night in the ACC as it is in the CUSA.

Georgia vs. Arkansas = The Bulldogs, at 3-4, are in the basement of the SEC East. The Hogs, at 4-3, are near the top of the SEC West. Does anybody but me consider this whole "East/West" dichotomy in the SEC to be totally bogus? Hey, there's only 12 teams total, so it's not exactly like there's any justifiable reason for it. Regardless, they are both decent teams, and this one down in Fayetteville should be a lot of fun.

Missouri vs. Oklahoma State = The Missou Tigers, ranked 14th in the country, are closer to the basement of the Big 12 than they are to the lead with their 3-3 conference mark. A few more league losses, such as in their upcoming TWO meetings with Kansas, and they may even drop out of the Top Twenty. Oak State has a shot at giving them another in Stillwater tonight, for although they have lost 5 of their last 6, they have beaten a few good teams this year. I wouldn't bet on them winning tonight, but most anything can happen in conference play, on any given night.

San Diego State vs. Colorado State = Such as the Rams giving the Aztecs their 2nd loss of the season in Fort Collins tonight. Hey, SDSU may be the young darling of this season, but those Rams have played pretty good ball also . . . on occasion, anyway. Plus, I am always a bit leery when a "sea-level" team suits up for a mile-high game. Keep your eye on this one . . . if you can keep your eyes open at all that late in the evening.

USC vs. UCLA = Here's another interesting late-night contest for you. Maybe the Bruins aren't back, but they are only one game back in the Pac. I'd give them the edge no paper over the Trojans even if it wasn't in Pauley, but as it will be played on a Wooden court, I think they won't need OT like they did against ASU to take the win.

Utah State vs. Nevada = People have started talking about the Aggies, not only because they already have a 3-game lead in the WAC (for what that's worth, considering it is jammed with teams just above or well below .500), but because since they lost to Georgetown 'way back on Dec. 4th they have not lost, and bring a 15-game streak onto their home court tonight. I don't expect the crappy Pack to snap it this evening. Fact is, as they really don't play any serious competition until they face St. Mary's on the 19th, they will likely extend that streak for a while yet. Still, that does not make them a Top TwentyFive team, and if you believe they are . . . well, I have this bridge I'd like to sell you.

By the way, in case you are interested, the Sooners had a huge 2nd half down in Norman, and beat Baylor 73-66. Not only is this a good win for Oklahoma, it just further muddles up that clusterfark in the middle of the Big 12 race. You can pencil Texas and Kansas in at the top, but the rest of it will take a looooooong time to shake out.

That's all for now. Hey, ain't that enough? As always, enjoy.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #202
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

No love for the Arizona Wildcats yet. That is ok we can stay under the radar for a while. I don't know that we have really won any notable games yet but I guess time will tell.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #203
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Freaking SEC this year....

Ole Miss put up a great fight, didn't give up after the press came, and held on for a good win for them. Why Cal didn't keep the press on after catching up....

No whining about your depth either, Johnny...your own fault. I liked the way Lamb looked though.

Well, Syracuse's streak is broken, finally.
OSU and Mizzou caught a snow plow and made it into the game tonight. Travis Ford's squad is up at the half.

Dook is laying it on the Terps right now.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #204
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

glad to see my hometown team the Cuse got their act together and finally pulled off a win, they needed that big time.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #205
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
No love for the Arizona Wildcats yet. That is ok we can stay under the radar for a while. I don't know that we have really won any notable games yet but I guess time will tell.
It seems as though the Pac-10 in general has gotten no respect the last few years. When you consider the success they had in the NCAA Tourney, much to the surprise of the "experts", it's a bit hard to justify . . . especially viewed in light of the respect given to the Mountain West, for far less reason. Well, so be it. But you're not the only one who feels rained on, since my Heels didn't receive any props either until last week's blowout of NCSU. Don't sweat it . . . things will shake out in the end, one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Freaking SEC this year....

Ole Miss put up a great fight, didn't give up after the press came, and held on for a good win for them. Why Cal didn't keep the press on after catching up....

No whining about your depth either, Johnny...your own fault. I liked the way Lamb looked though.

Well, Syracuse's streak is broken, finally.
OSU and Mizzou caught a snow plow and made it into the game tonight. Travis Ford's squad is up at the half.

Dook is laying it on the Terps right now.
The SEC has half their teams on my "All Psycho" list, by which I mean I can't figure out which squad will show up from one game to the next, be it UK, Vandy, UT, Gators, Georgia 'Dogs, 'Cocks, you name 'em. And you're right that Cal has nobody to blame for his lack of depth aside from himself. I wonder if he yet regrets saying on Draft Day, when 5 of his players went in the first round, that it was "the greatest day in Kentucky history".

You knew the 'Cuse would not lose them all from here on out, and to beat the Huskies in Hartford was a great way for them to break their streak. As for Oak State and Missou . . . well, the Coyboys showed up for the game anyway, even if the Tigers didn't.

And as for K's kids, I kinda figured he'd get them on track quickly after that stinker in the Garden. Besides, Gary Williams rarely seems to keep his teams on the rails for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
glad to see my hometown team the Cuse got their act together and finally pulled off a win, they needed that big time.
No doubt they needed the W. But what they really need is for Boeheim to hire a defensive-minded assistant who can teach their talent how to mix it up on D, and not depend on the same-old same-old each and every night.

Update to follow.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #206
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Too much to cover, and too little time.

Syracuse 66 - U. Conn 58 = As noted, a big and badly-needed win for the Orange. And as for the Huskies, this drops the supposedly # 6 team in the nation to a tie for # 8 in the Big Mouth Conference, and a whole 1/2-game ahead of St. John's.

Oklahoma State 76 - Missouri 70 = Also as noted, a nice victory for the Cowboys, but it only drops the # 14 team into a tie for 7th in the Big 12. Does anybody but me pay any attention to stuff like this?

Indiana 60 - Minnesota 57 = But the Golden Gophers should consider themselves lucky in comparision. This huge win by the Hoosiers only puts the # 18 team into a tie for 5th in the Big Ten, and at 5-5 only 4 1/2 out of the league lead.

Iowa 72 - Michigan State 52 = So, not only did the Hoosiers get their 3rd conference victory, the Hawkeyes got their 2nd against a Spartan team that has completely fallen off the map. All of a sudden, it seems as if Tom Izzo wants to try and copy Roy Williams' run of last year.

Duke 80 - Maryland 62 = The Blue Devils rebound from their recent whipping to give pretty much the same to the Terps, and regain the top of the ACC over my Heels by a 1/2-game.

Georgia 60 - Arkansas 59 = In the short run, this win by the 'Dawgs over the Hogs means very little, since they both are wallowing in the SEC. But over the long haul, both will need all of these they can get to earn an at-large come March. They both may make it anyway, yet better safe than sorry.

Charlotte 66 - Xavier 62 = This one in the A-10 may have been the biggest upset of the evening. The Musketeers are fighting for the lead with Duquesne in the conference, while the 49ers have been digging a hole all year long. I don't care that this one was in The Queen City or not . . . there's no explaining it.

San Diego State 56 - Colorado State 54 = I had me a feeling this would be a close one, and as even a blind hog finds an acorn on occasion, I turned out to be right. The Aztecs eek out a win over a pesky flock of Rams, and keep their tie with BYU for the Mountain West. Speaking of which . . .

BYU 69 - Wyoming 62 = Are you kidding me? There are high-school teams who could beat Wyoming better than this. Hey, there are teams that stink, and others that purely suck. Last week the Cougars lost a game, and moved UP in the polls. A win like this one, and they need to move down.

Virginia 49 - Clemson 47 = Speaking of moving down, the Clemson Tigers were starting to get some notice nationally, especially after beating Florida State badly last weekend. Well, that's over with for now. This is a huge W for the Cavs, who with a 12-10 record have not had many.

Tulsa 68 - Memphis 65 = And at 12-10 themselves, this is equally huge for the Golden Hurricanes. As for the Tigers, their growing pains continue. However, they still remain in the hunt for the CUSA crown, and as nobody seems willing to step up and grab it, that race may go down to the wire.

Villanova 75 - Marquette 70 = And with the exception of league-leading Pitt, the same is true of the Big East. Would you believe that, below the Panthers, there are ten teams with conference records between 6-3 and 5-5? Talk about your dogfight!

There is some big-name action tonight, and some important conference action in the smaller leagues:

Valparaiso vs. Cleveland State = And this one in the Horizon is a big as the small ones get. Valpo is a 1/2-game back of the Vikings for the lead, so this road game is huge for them both.

IPFW vs. IUPUI = This alphabetical battle is also vital for both, as they fight for 2nd place in the Summit.

Wofford vs. Charleston = Here we have another key matchup, with two of the premier teams in the Southern Conference.

Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina = The Big South Conference here, and the same big game.

Belmont vs. Jacksonville = Once more, in the Atlantic Sun now.

Murray State vs. Tennessee State = And even once more, with Joe's Racers facing a key game in the Ohio Valley. All these games cited take on added significance when you realize that none of these conferences are likely to receive more than one bid to the NCAAs each, so they must make hay while the sun still shines on their hopes.

Ohio State vs. Michigan = OK, so one of these two teams is pretty confident that it will get themselves a ticket to The Dance. The other? Not so much. Yet the young Wolverines have started to play some decent ball of late, and they do have a shot at improving their odds by pulling off the upset tonight, and give the Buckeyes their 1st loss of the year. I don't expect it, but remember that they DID take Kansas to OT not so long ago . . . and remember how many games OSU has won by a point or three also.

Notre Dame vs. DePaul = And one of these teams thinks they have already earned a bid, whereas the other knows they'd have to steal the conference tournament crown to get one. I'm not saying the Irish already have the victory in hand, but I wouldn't bet a dime on the Blue Demons' chances.

Arizona vs. Stanford = And if the desert 'Cats want to get a bit more respect, they had better chop down that big-a$$ Tree out in NoCal this evening. I'd give them the edge, even on the road, but keep two things in mind: The Cardinal did edge Pac-10 co-leader Washington on home court, and whatever their talent may be, they are doubtlessly a LOT smarter than the guys from 'Zona.

Washington vs. Oregon State = The Huskies are on the road in Corvallis also, but I wouldn't expect the Beavers to give them much of a game. Shoot, they haven't given much of anybody one so far, so why start now? Oh wait . . . they did beat the "Rodney Dangerfield" Wildcats, didn't they. Nevermind.

Gonzaga vs. Portland = These two teams are not where they wanted to be . . . mired in the middle of the WCC. Though both have played well from time to time, both have also dropped games they were not expected to lose. Neither one may make much noise for the rest of this season, yet both still have some hopes. So, no matter what else transpires after this evening, you can plan on a fight tonight.

I could do twice as much, both on last night's and tonight's action, but I'm out of time and out of energy. Feel free to post your own picks, brothers, and until later . . . enjoy.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #207
acarr
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post

Arizona vs. Stanford = And if the desert 'Cats want to get a bit more respect, they had better chop down that big-a$$ Tree out in NoCal this evening. I'd give them the edge, even on the road, but keep two things in mind: The Cardinal did edge Pac-10 co-leader Washington on home court, and whatever their talent may be, they are doubtlessly a LOT smarter than the guys from 'Zona.
Hey now, I will give them that. But lets say they are a lot smarter than the guys from most schools out there Arizona will be in good shape as long as we take care of one of the bay area schools. In the Pac it is defend your home court and split on the road. As long as you do that, you are in good shape. Although, that is probably the case with most conferences out there.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #208
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Hey now, I will give them that. But lets say they are a lot smarter than the guys from most schools out there Arizona will be in good shape as long as we take care of one of the bay area schools. In the Pac it is defend your home court and split on the road. As long as you do that, you are in good shape. Although, that is probably the case with most conferences out there.
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want a Final Four of Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, and Penn myself. Maybe Stanford, Dook, Vandy, and UNC, but not the former.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #209
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Go Racers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of these days, I'll pony up the $$$ to get expanded cable and get ESPN U .

THE OSU is getting a fight from Michigan. Pretty tight game at 14 minutes left in the 2nd.

The AP...I like that, and it certainly fits the SEC this season. It makes it competitive, I guess.

The Big East...who you think will win the conference????
Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #210
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Go Racers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of these days, I'll pony up the $$$ to get expanded cable and get ESPN U .

THE OSU is getting a fight from Michigan. Pretty tight game at 14 minutes left in the 2nd.

The AP...I like that, and it certainly fits the SEC this season. It makes it competitive, I guess.

The Big East...who you think will win the conference????
Yes, a good win for Murray State, which keeps them in contention for the OVC . . . and makes their Saturday game with Austin Peay huge. That game there, and with games with the other league leaders still on their schedule, it puts the Racers' fate in their own hands.

The Wolverines were able to give the Buckeyes a half, or even a half-and-a-half. Too bad for them they couldn't give them a complete game.

The SEC is not the only league with schizophrenic squads, but they do seem to have more than their share this season.

As for the Big East, I guess it depends on what you mean by "win the conference". I think Pitt will take the regular season, since they seem the most consistent. But when the conference tourney starts, they'll just toss it up and let them play, so it's anybody's guess.

Back soon with the update.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #211
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

It will be a short update today, for three reasons. One, only a couple of scores from last night were any surprise at all, so why bother with the others? Two, there's damn little action on a Friday night, so why bother with more than a couple of those also? And three, because I just read some news that has me miffed, and I don't wanna splash my anger over into other people's plates. What is said news, you ask? Well:

Junior point guard for the UNC Tar Heels Larry Drew II announced out of the blue (yeah, sky-blue I reckon) that he is leaving the team immediately . . . just as both he and the team have started to play better. He stated he was leaving because "it's in my best interest to continue my education and basketball career elsewhere" . . . and I suppose to hell with his present teammates. Perhaps it is due to him being replaced in the starting lineup in recent games by freshman Kendall Marshall, but not only was Drew still getting significant minutes on the court, he was also producing off the bench better than he had done as a starter, on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. The announcement came as a complete shock to everyone, as apparently the only person he discussed the matter with was his father, Atlanta Hawks head coach Larry Drew.

Now to be completely honest, I am not angry that he has decided to leave the Carolina program, as his development and progress has not been what was expected, and because he is certainly free to persue his options elsewhere. His progress as a player was definitely hindered by the fact that he received little time as a freshman, playing behind both Ty Lawson and Bobby Frasor. Then he was tossed into the fire as a sophmore in last year's disaster of a campaign, and was the target of much of the criticism, be it justified or not. He did little in the first half of this season to change anyone's opinion, averaging only 4.4 points and 3.9 assists (and 1.8 turnovers) per game. So, had he made the same decision the Ware twins made at the end of last season, and announced after completing this year that he was leaving, I would simply thank him for what he had hepled to accomplish, and wish him well. However, for him to quit the team just as they seem to be turning things around a bit, and with the toughest stretch of the season just beginning . . . well, screw the selfish basturd, that's all I have to say.

As I said above, before starting my rant, I was surprised by only three of last night's games:

Oregon State 68 - Washington 56 = Don't get me wrong. It's not that I think the Huskies are all that good, but please. The Beavers, as I said yesterday, are no damn good at all. OK, so they did edge Arizona earlier in the year. So what? This was no squeaker, and there's no damn excuse for it.

North Florida 72 - Lipscomb 62 = And there's no damn excuse for this one either. Lipscomb is a much better team than are the Ospreys, and should have plucked them good.

Youngstown State 62 - Butler 60 = And though this was a tight one, there's again no damn reason for it. Sure, Butler's not as good as they were last year. What's your point? The Penguins are absolutely horrible, and this victory boosted their Horizon record to 2-10, and 8-14 overall. Gimme a freakin' break!

Tonight's games include only two that hold even the slightest interest to me:

Harvard vs. Princeton = The Ivy chase has yet to scarcely begin, but this is still a big one for both teams.

Fairfield vs. Iona = And if the Gaels want to have any shot at all of catching Fairfield in the MAAC, they need to take this one tonight.

If I manage to calm down a bit, I'll be back later with some early tips tomorrow. If not . . . well, enjoy or don't, what do I care. I'm still p!$$ed, so &@^# it all.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #212
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

OK, I took a deep breath, had a short smoke (JR Ult Habanito, if you care to know), and calmed down a bit, so lemme give a quick preview of Saturday's early games:

Cleveland State vs. Butler = The Vikings hod a slim lead atop the Horizon, while the Bulldogs are just about out of it for this year. C-State can put them at .500 in league play, and put themselves a bit further out of reach with a victory here.

West Virginia vs. Villanova = Both teams have strengths and weaknesses, and either one can win. The Mountaineers are on the road, so maybe the Philly 'Cats have a slight edge. But this one will go to whichever plays best, and so pick your poison here.

Georgetown vs. Providence = This one's not much different, though I'd favor the Hoyas more than the Friars here.

VCU vs. James Madison = VCU is tied with George Mason at 10-1 in CAC play, so they really want this one badly. It won't be a gimme, as JM can play a bit too. Should be a good one.

St. John's vs. UCLA = Can the Johnnies knock off another non-conferece foe this weekend? Hey, if they can beat Dook, they can beat the Bruins, that's for sure. But me, I gotta see it happen again before I believe it. Steve Lavin's return to Pauley Pavilion might turn into a disaster for him, in more ways than one.

Illinois vs. Northwestern = The Illini should not have any problems with the Windy 'Cats, yet games are not won on should'as and coulda's. If they don't show up, they might drop one they need to win, if only to keep them respectable in the Big Ten.

Wake Forest vs. Maryland = The Terps lost their last home game, but that was to Dook. I don't expect them to drop two inna row in College Park . . . not when they're facing Wake, anyway.

Virginia Tech vs. Boston College = Though it is unlikely either of these two can reach the top of the ACC, 2nd place is still a possibility for them. They need to win this one, however, and I'd bet on a good game.

Clemson vs. Georgia Tech = The Tigers are still in the mix a bit too, and need to make a Wreck of Tech to rebound from a stinker against Virginia. I figure they will do just that.

Vanderbilt vs. South Carolina = If you've been paying attention, you realize that it has become damn-near impossible to handicap the SEC. It's in Nashville, and the Charlie Daniels may be favored, but me . . . I'm gonna flip a coin.

Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State = Oak State has been more consistent, but the Sooners have surprised a few people this year too. In Stillwater, I'd pick the Cowboys, but you just can't predict these in-state conference games.

Kansas State vs. Iowa State = Although I never bought into the pre-season hype for K-State, I never thought they would be as mediocre as they have been. Can the Cyclones steal one in Ames? Well, as that would give them only their 2nd victory in conference play, my guess would be no. The other Manhattanites may not be great, but they don't stink that bad. Yet on second thought, their team seems to be falling apart at the seams, so who knows? Stay tuned.

ODU vs. George Mason = Hey, do you remeber 'way up at the top of this post, when I talked about the CAC race? Well, here's another huge game in that scrum for the league lead, with the 9-3 Monarchs looking to tie the 10-2 Patriots. You can figure on a close one here.

That's all I'll do for now . . . partly because some butthole in an SUV is illegally parked outside, shining his brights into my eyes through the window. God, I can't see a damn thing! So now, I'm p!$$ed again. Will this day ever end?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #213
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Would you farkin' believe it? I just spent the last hour typing my post, and as I got to the last entry some non-English speaking bozoette came in here to play a stinkin' dollar on the stinkin' lottery, and I lost the whole damn thing!

I'll play some catch-up tomorrow. I'm just to p!$$ed off at the moment to do anything but cuss.
Hey Thomas,

How about composing your post in Word or Notepad and copy/paste a reply when you are done.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #214
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
Hey Thomas,

How about composing your post in Word or Notepad and copy/paste a reply when you are done.

Just thinking out loud.
Jerry, buddy, where the hell you been my friend! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's missed you. Sorry about how my Heels embarrassed your 'Pack last week, but you'll get your shot in Raleigh soon enough. Hey, maybe by that time a few more players will quit the team, and you'll have a better shot!

Thanks for your suggestion, but you assume I know something about these kumpooter thingies, and actually know what you're talkin' about.

Update to follow.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #215
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Last night Fairfield grabbed a 2-game lead in the MAAC by beating Iona 75-71, while Princeton kept pace with their competition across the Delaware, Penn, with their 65-61 win over Harvard, and are 3-0 in this early stage of the Ivy. So far today we have some finals:

Xavier 76 - Saint Louis 68 = The X-men had more trouble with the Billikens than they should have, but did hold on.

Georgetown 83 - Providence 81 = And the Hoyas had all they could handle from the Friars, and are lucky to have avoided the upset.

Villanova 66 - West Virginia 50 = Looks as though the Mountaineers didn't make it to Philly. I did not think they would win, but I did expect a better showing than this.

Butler 73 - Cleveland State 61 = Now this one's a bit of a surprise. CS has been pretty good, while Butler has been spotty. Here's a good win for a team that needed one bad.

VCU 70 - James Madison 66 = And this one was precisely the war I thought we'd have.

Other action scheduled today, aside from those already mentioned, is far too vast for me to note. So I've selected those which piqued my pickle:

Rhode Island vs. Temple = A huge A-10 matchups, and either one can win it.

Baylor vs. Texas A&M = If the Bears can find their game, they can give the Aggies all they want.

Syracuse vs. South Florida = And if the Bulls can find their game, they will only be beaten by the Orange, and not crushed.

Buffalo vs. Ball State = Who cares, you ask? Well, this one's for the top spots in the MAC, East and West respectively, so you can't get any bigger a game . . . at this level, anyway.

ODU vs. George Mason = And a higher level here, but pretty much the same story.

Virginia vs. Miami = And as neither of these want to sink down to Wake's level in the ACC, I'd expect a good one here. Me, I pick the Cavs.

UAB vs. Tulane = UAB can't afford a let-up against a team that they have an advantage over. If they drop this one, shame on them. That's not to knock Tulane, who can ball a little bit. But still . . . .

BYU vs. UNLV = The Casino Runs made a little noise early in the season, but we've not heard more than peeps from them since. The Cougars want the win, but the Rebels NEED it. This one could be fun.

Kansas vs. Nebraska = And this one could be more fun than the Jayhawks are looking for. Were I a gambler, I'd put a few on KU, but a 'Husker upset would not stun me.

Memphis vs. Gonzaga = This one pits two "name" teams from mid-majors who are used to better seasons than they've had to date. A win by either would go a long way towards securing an at-large. The 'Zags may need it more, so I feel they will be focused. There could be blood on the court before this one's done.

Washington vs. Oregon = And if the Huskies can't bounce back against the Ducks, then just maybe the Pac-10 does not deserve any respect.

Furman vs. Charleston = Here's another vital conference matchup, this one in the southern division of the Southern Conference . . . so one of these good squads will go south, for sure. Pick 'em.

Alabama vs. Tennessee = Another pick 'em game in another conference with Southern in its name. Off the top of my head, I can't recall which however.

Pitt vs. Cincinnati = The Bearcats are another team you've not heard much about of late. They could change that quickly with an upset today. It likely won't happen, but you never know about these things.

Marshall vs. Southern Mississippi = If this one is decided by more than 6 or 8 points, I will be shocked.

Duke vs N. C. State = And if this one in Cameron lasts more than 6 or 8 minutes, I will be shocked. No offense, Jerry, but your Wolfpack has no offense.

Mississippi vs. Arkansas = Another matchup in the SEC, and if you've been paying any attention at all, you'll know nobody can predict who will win here. The only consistent thing about SEC play so far this year has been its inconsistency.

U. Conn vs. Seton Hall = Though the Pirates did get one HUGE upset over the Orange, and in the Dome no less, I don't think they have another in them. Sure, the game's in Newark, and sure, the Huskies just proved they can be beaten, twice in a row now, yet I don't think that streak will reach three today.

Missouri vs. Colorado = Though one of these two has gotten all the press, while the other's gotten squat, don't kid yourself . . . this one will be tight. It would not surprise me one damn bit if the Buffaloes take it.

Arizona vs. California = But I don't expect those boys in Berkeley to hold serve against the Wildcats. 'Zona wants to get back to their sweet music Lute played, and they won't let some pack of dirty hippies stand in their way.

Louisville vs. DePaul = Louisville will win. It's that simple. The only question is, will Pitino's boys channel their inner "Cardiac Kids" again, and wait until the last few minutes before they pull it out of their butts? If so, then their post-season run will be very very short, and not jsut because Pitino's not Valvano.

Murray State vs. Austin Peay = Yeah, Joe, I know how huge this one is for your Racers. If they win, they hold the lead in the OVC. If they lose, they slip into a three-way . . . and not the good kind. This one should be tons of fun, start to finish.

Kentucky vs. Florida = And if both teams actually show up, this one will be a lot of fun too. The problem is, neither team seems capable of showing up night after night. You gotta give UK an edge, but you'd be just as safe if you flipped a coin.

Texas vs. Texas Tech = But this one's already over. Why are they even playing it? The Red Raiders should just forfeit, and stay at home to study for mid-terms.

Utah State vs. Boise State = And even though I think the Aggies are bogus (OK, so they are 21-2 . . . those 2 losses were to the only 2 decent teams they've played all year, so who cares?), I don't think they'll have a problem with the Broncos. Hell, nobody else has lately, so why should they be the exception?

San Diego State vs. TCU = With all due respect for the Aztecs, you can merely substitute the names in that post immediately above and be damn close to accurate, start to finish. The Horned Frogs are not the worst team in the nation, but SDSU's not the 7th best either. Still, chalk it up for them now, and don't even bother to watch.

I'll be back in a while with some other early finals, and some Sunday games too.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #216
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Here's a few more early finals for you, including one which gives me pause:

Northwestern 71 - Illinois 70 = Though it may have seemed I waffled a bit on the Illini in my preview of this game, I really didn't think the Wildcats had a snowball's chance in this one. Guess I should stop thinking.

Clemson 65 - Georgia Tech 56 = But this, this is about what I expected.

Boston College 58 - Virginia Tech 56 = Same here. I figured on a tight contest, and that's what we got.

Maryland 91 - Wake Forest 70 = And the only surprise here is that Wake actually scored 70 points, on the road.

Vanderbilt 78 - South Carolina 60 = So, leesee here. Vandy lost its previous two games, and the 'Cocks won their last one. Yeah, judging by the rest of the SEC this year, this is what you'd expect. From day to day, these guys can't figure out who's coming and who's going.

Kansas State 86 - Iowa State 85 = Wow. Though K-State did hang on by the skin of their teeth, this is nearly as big a shock as the N'Western/Illini game. Yeah, I sorta kinda joked that the Cyclones might just steal one from a stumbling Wildcat team, but I never ever really thought they could. Well, they didn't . . . they fell a bucket short.

Tomorrow there are some key games scheduled, including:

Notre Dame vs. Rutgers = The Irish are much better than the Scarlet Knights, and should have little trouble. Yet at times the Big East has been as puzzling as the SEC, so don't bet the farm here.

Michigan vs. Penn State = Here are two who have actually started to play some pretty decent ball. It's a pick 'em, far as I'm concerned.

Wisconsin vs. Michigan State = As much as it displeases me, I've about given up on the Spartans this year. If they can beat the Badgers, it would be, at this point, a major upset. It could happen, but I'll have to see it first.

Ohio State vs. Minnesota = Thad Matta is apparently displeased with his team's 23-0 record, and has started to complain that opponents are playing "Hack-A-Sully". Gimme a break, ya whinin' bozo! If he doesn't like contact, he shouldn't be in the Big Ten, for krissakes! Though I never wish any player harm, I hope the Gophers read this, and break his freakin' neck tomorrow. But that aside, I give the Buckeyes a slim edge, despite their tendency to eek out victories . . . and their new one, of cryin' foul.

North Carolina vs. Florida State = It is beginning to appear as if the Seminoles are the only team willing to attempt a challenge to Duke and UNC for the ACC. Before yesterday's stunning announcement out of Chapel Hill, I would have given my Heels a slight edge in the Smith Center. Now, it depends upon how the team reacts to Drew's quitting like a snivelling little brat. If they mope and obsess about it, they could collapse tomorrow, and for the remainder of the season. If it p!$$es them off as much as it does me, and if they can focus this anger in a positive direction, then the rest of the ACC, and the rest of the country, better watch out.

Rider vs. Fairfield = The Stags want to maintain control of the MAAC. The Broncos want to harness up and make a charge at them. This one may decide it for both teams.

That's enough for now. If I don't make it back until Monday . . . enjoy.

Oh, and I'm adding a new tag-line to my posts: Screw Drew.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #217
acarr
Have My Own Room

Still no respect for the Cats of AZ. With a sweep over the Bay Area schools, I think they are going to move up to about 17 when this weeks rankings come out. I was not sure how good we are, but we are showing some real resilience here late in the season.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #218
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Well, SEC is STILL the SEC. Freaking UK........

I was surprised Washington dropped the game last night. Tough loss. Was no surprised at Duke cleaning the Wolfpack up though. Nice win for Northwestern.

Go Racers!!!!!!!!!! We got tickets with another couple and followed the Racers on a road game. Less than 1 hour apart, both teams usually show great road support to their respective teams, and the Racers did not disappoint last night. Crazy first half-only about 40 total points, 6 total fouls, and I think the 20 minutes only took 8 minutes. Never seen a half go by so fast! Second half was better, but the Racers took command and held the lead to the end. Good win for us, but it really means nothing if we don't win the last OVC game of the season, in Nashville in March.

OSU up on Minnesota by 10, with 5 left in the 1st.Wisconsin is killing Michigan State in the 2nd right now. Ouch!!!

Now, to take the rest of the afternoon to psyche up for the end of the 2010-2011 NFL season (and, quite possibly, the 2011-2012 season). Thank goodness for college B'ball, the next 2 months help cushion the blow.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #219
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Still no respect for the Cats of AZ. With a sweep over the Bay Area schools, I think they are going to move up to about 17 when this weeks rankings come out. I was not sure how good we are, but we are showing some real resilience here late in the season.
They actually jumped to 15, for what that's worth. And I'm also not sure how good they are myself, especially when they needed 3 OTs to edge past the totally average Golden Bears.

Quote:
Well, SEC is STILL the SEC. Freaking UK........

I was surprised Washington dropped the game last night. Tough loss. Was no surprised at Duke cleaning the Wolfpack up though. Nice win for Northwestern.

Go Racers!!!!!!!!!! We got tickets with another couple and followed the Racers on a road game. Less than 1 hour apart, both teams usually show great road support to their respective teams, and the Racers did not disappoint last night. Crazy first half-only about 40 total points, 6 total fouls, and I think the 20 minutes only took 8 minutes. Never seen a half go by so fast! Second half was better, but the Racers took command and held the lead to the end. Good win for us, but it really means nothing if we don't win the last OVC game of the season, in Nashville in March.

OSU up on Minnesota by 10, with 5 left in the 1st.Wisconsin is killing Michigan State in the 2nd right now. Ouch!!!

Now, to take the rest of the afternoon to psyche up for the end of the 2010-2011 NFL season (and, quite possibly, the 2011-2012 season). Thank goodness for college B'ball, the next 2 months help cushion the blow.
Yeah, the SEC continues to do what they've done best so far this year . . . confuse their fans, their coaches, and the experts.

Me, I'm a bit surprised that the Ducks could beat anybody, but since the Huskies haven't exactly been monsters, I am not stunned by it. Nor am I stunned that NCSU lost in Cameron, big. As for Northwestern's win . . . well, maybe you haven't noticed, but aside from the Buckeyes, the Big Ten is getting just about as confusing (and confused) as the SEC.

And 'grats to your Racers on a great win. Yeah, it won't get them to the Dance, but it has to make them feel awfully good about their chances.

Update coming ASAP.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #220
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

There's no way I can possibly reference all the good games this weekend, so forgive me if I skip your team . . . and jump in and do it your-damn-self, ya lazy bastids! In the balance of Saturday's action:

Murray State 67 - Austin Peay 58 = As said above, a great win for the Racers. I thought they had a good chance to win it, yet I thought it might be closer. Maybe this MSU is getting some of that good karma that MSU in Michigan seems to have lost.

Mississippi 69 - Arkansas 60 = If some team in another league wants to win a conference championship this season, see if you can move into the SEC now. Seems as if nobody else wants it.

Boston College 58 - Virginia Tech 56 = Aside from being a low-scoring affair, a good game for two who hope to get bids in March. Both need to earn a few more Ws, so keep your eye on the rest of their season.

Arizona 107 - California 105 (3OT) = A win on the road is always good, but as I said above, the fact that it took the 'Cats an extra 15 minutes, and they STILL just squeaked by a 13-10 team, should not promote a lot of confidence in their fans.

Charleston 73 - Furman 54 = Another big conference victory, putting CoC atop the Southern Conference (South).

Duke 76 - N. C. State 52 = This one should come as no surprise to anyone. But Sidney Lowe could look on the bright side, for if he's fired at the end of this season, this will be the last time he gets spanked in Cameron.

East Carolina 68 - UCF 61 = I throw this in because I am fascinated by the Orlando Mickeys' story so far. After their 14-0 start, this makes 7 losses in a row, and if their game with UTEP had not been postponed that would likely be 8. Good night, Knights.

Florida 70 - Kentucky 68 = A very good game, close from start to finish, and precisely what I'd wish for. I do not like Billy Donovan all that much. I dislike John Calipari quite a bit more. Since both could not lose, I'll take this.

Memphis 62 - Gonzaga 58 = Speaking of Cal, here's a good non-conference win for his former employer. Were the 'Zags as good as they've been in past years, it would even be a great one, but the Tigers will take all they can get at this point.

Louisville 61 - DePaul 57 = Are you joking? Louisville beats an absolutely lousy Blue Demon squad by a stinkin' 4 points, and in their new Crum Bucket, and needed more late-game heroics to even manage that? Do you think I'm stating this too strongly? Forget that DePaul is now at 6-16 this year. Even forget they are 0-10 in league play. All you need know is this is their 23rd straight loss to a Big East foe.

Mississippi State 58 - LSU 57 = And this victory is just about as bad . . . or would be, were it not for the fact that it is about what we've learned to expect in the SEC.

Miami 70 - Virginia 68 (OT) = Well, if nothing else, we at least know that neither of these two teams want to end up in the ACC cellar with Wake Forest. Both wanted the win, and they gave us a good contest.

Oklahoma State 81 - Oklahoma 75 = I guess this is a good enough win for the Cowboys, and a disappointing loss for the Sooners. But I'd imagine they are a bit more focused now on the count of sexual battery and three counts of "rape by instrumentation" (I hestitate to guess) charged against starting forward Darrell Williams today. And I thought the Larry Drew II story was embarrassing.

Oregon 81 - Washington 76 = I mentioned this above, and stick with what I said. I am not surprised the Huskies lost a game they maybe should have won. I am surprised that it was the Ducks who did it.

San Diego State 60 - TCU 53 = Much as with the Louisville/DePaul game above, this one's hard to believe. Are you telling me the Aztecs beat the absolutely horrid Horned Frogs by a couple of possessions . . . on their own court? OK, fine, but don't tell me you actually believe they're one of the best teams in the nation also. I'll believe one or the other, but not both.

U.Conn 61 - Seton Hall 59 = And the only difference here is that the game was in Newark, not Storrs nor Hartford. That's still insufficient excuse, and the Huskies dodged a bullet the size of Calhoun's ego here.

St. Bonaventure 64 - Duquesne 62 = This one was of huge significance in the A-10, as it dropped the Dukes into a tie at 8-1 with Xavier. I expect both of these two to get NCAA bids, but it's always better safe than sorry. Watch this race closely from now on.

Baylor 76 - Texas A&M 74 (OT) = The Bears haven't had as good a win as this one all year. Plus, coming off their loss to the Sooners, they needed one.

There was much less notable action Sunday:

Rider 96 - Fairfield 87 = A bit of a shock to me, since I thought the Stags would take a stranglehold on the MAAC with a win here. They still have a 2-game cushion, but that's not yet a safe margin. Again, here's one to keep your eyes on.

Notre Dame 76 - Rutgers 69 = Just one more of those "WTF?" games. And yes, it was in South Bend too. Why oh why do all these experts think the Big Mouts Conference is so great, when they can't even dominate their own cellar-dwellers? They must have a lot of reporters on the payroll, that's all I can think.

North Carolina 89 - Florida State 69 = It is no big surprise that the Tar Heels beat FSU in Chapel Hill, since they've been doing that with nice consistency for decades. Hell, that's the proximate cause of Charlie Ward's famous quote about the "wine and cheese crowd" of Tar Heel fans. Shoot, what reason did the Heel faithful have to get excited when the Semiholes came to town? Hey, if Charlie had been a better point guard (or a worse quarterback) and played for Dook instead, he'd have seen some lightning in the stands. But back to the game: This is the reaction I hoped for, after He Who Shall Remain Nameless fled town Friday night. The team got hurt, got confused, then got mad. Kendall Marshall had 9 points and 16 assists, Dexter Strickland scored 15 and grabbed 6 boards, Barnes, Henson and Zeller also scored in double digits, and FSU got no closer than 7 in the 2nd half. So, an expected win became a welcome stomping, and is the 3rd such spanking issued in a row. It might not last ( ), but it's fun while it does.

Tonight has only a few games of import:

Pitt vs. West Virginia = I figure the Panthers won't have all that much trouble with the Mountaineers, despite the fact that WVA has played very well on occasion. But Pitt knows it can put its hands around the throat of the regular season and make it their own, so I expect them to remain focused on the task at hand.

Murray State vs. Eastern Illinois = Joe's Racers should not have much trouble with these Panthers, since nobody much else has had a lot of trouble with them so far. But sometimes after a big win a team can let down. I'm not sure EI is good enough to take advantage if that occurs, but who knows?

Missouri vs. Kansas = The Jayhawks are somewhat better, and have been more consistent than the Tigers. But Missou, despite their 4-4 conference mark, are capable of beating most anybody on a given night. Can they do what Texas managed, and shoot down the Jayhawks in Allen Fieldhouse? Probably not, but it should be fun to watch anyway.

That's all I have time for tonight. Enjoy, and Screw Drew.

Last edited by The Poet; 02-07-2011 at 04:26 PM.