Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #2081
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Here's my new grips from Esmeralda. I was very pleased that there is a noticeable variance from the other ones I saw here.
[IMG][/IMG]
Love those Valors, ahhhh if wishes were only a few bucks less, lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #2082
Ender
Ok, maybe just one.

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
Partagas
Ender will become famous soon enoughEnder will become famous soon enough

I agree Pete. It's my baby.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #2083
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Are there any highly recommended 1911s out there around 700-800 stock that are also worth customizing a little (triggers, safety, internals, etc)?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #2084
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Are there any highly recommended 1911s out there around 700-800 stock that are also worth customizing a little (triggers, safety, internals, etc)?
From what I've heard the Rock Island Armory 1911s are very good and run $400+ depending on the one you get.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:09 AM   #2085
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

My bro scored a Dan Wesson 1911 for like $850. That thing is I'm not too sure what you would change on it but it's a hell of a 1911 stock.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 AM   #2086
iRiSh
In the Belly Of the Beast

Trading: (0)
iRiSh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Here's my new grips from Esmeralda. I was very pleased that there is a noticeable variance from the other ones I saw here.
[IMG][/IMG]
Nice
Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #2087
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Springfield Armory also has a few 1911s in that range, but I REALLY want their SOCOM rifle
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #2088
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

You can get a good 1911 for that price range. I would recommend you make sure you have dovetail front and rear sights as that is the most common item people like to change, other than grips of course. If you do not get dovetail sights, you'll have to machine the slide to replace the sights (not cheap). If you do get dovetail sights, you can change the sights yourself with a simple allen wrench.

Lowered and flared ejection port, external extractor, beavertail grip safety, skelotonized trigger/hammer, front serrations on the slide, chambered round indicator, a Swartz firing-pin block (deactivated by the grip safety rather than by the trigger like in the 80s series Colts), extended mag-release and extended slide-release are other very commonly sought after "upgrades" you don't get on many of the entry-level 1911s. Some are drop-in replacements you can make after the fact, but many of these require machining the frame or slide so they are something you might want to get the first go-round.

Start looking into manufacterer's tolerances and you also begin to see glaring differences in the brands. I did a ton of research before buying my 1911. I narrowed it down to two brands and I am thrilled with my purchase 8+ years later.

That said, I was not in the market for a handmade 1911. They can exceed the tight tolerances of a well CNC machined pistol, but you will pay for it. Also, many of the manufacterers of 1911s today were not available in 2002. S&W being one of the bigger ones.

I got down to either a Springfield or a Kimber. Still similar today, Springfield offers an entry model called the "Mil-Spec" that has some of the features I wanted (listed above) but not all. In fact it lacks some of the ones that require machining to add later. You could get all of those features if you stepped up to a Springfield "Loaded" model, but it was a $200-$300 jump. Kimber's base model called the "Custom" has all of the features listed above and it is usually about $100-$200 more than the Springfield "Mil-Spec". Kimber also runs a little tighter tolerances than Springfield, and they machine their slide and frame out of a single forging. Those two are then serialized so they remain together until final assembly. They are the only 1911 manufacturer I am aware of that does that. Both are great pistols that will last a lifetime, but I'm happy with my decision.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #2089
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

BTW, check out http://www.gunsamerica.com for good prices. They are often cheaper when bought out of state. You don't have to pay sales tax, but you do have to kick in shipping and FFL transfer fees. 8 years ago I paid about $100 less than retail for my pistol, $20 shipping and $10 FFL fee. So I saved $70 off the top, plus I saved 6% sales tax on a $650 purchase (another $39). Total savings for me was about $119. I got my Kimber Custom (in stainless steel) for $680 total. Hard to do that now given price increases, but GA saved me some money. They even have an FFL finder and list their fees.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #2090
BnBTobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
Oh fine. You want a picture?

S&W Model 28

Purchased new in December, 1974.

Still looks like the day I bought it. I've picked up a few more since then.
And so I remember my father's revolver..

Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #2091
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

Quote:
Kimber straight from the box has a few in the $800-$1400 range....no upgrades needed
Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #2092
Ender
Ok, maybe just one.

Partagas

I've shot a few Kimbers and I love em'. If you can find one (even if it's used) for under $1000 then I'd consider it.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #2093
Will herf for food

VR

This is the exact model I have, only a number of years newer.

Kimber Custom II in Stainless (5 inch)

http://www.gunsamerica.com/975536640...I_5_45_ACP.htm

$815 + $22 shipping + whatever local FFL will charge you for transfer (usually $15-30).

And a smaller 3-inch model, a CDP, which is the line I like the best.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/975536640...I_5_45_ACP.htm

It has an aggressive melted look with all the normal upgrades found on a Kimber plus an aluminum alloy frame (cuts 15 oz off the weight), night sights, ambi thumb safety, bushingless barrel, and more. It is listed at $1100 with free shipping + your local FFL fee.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #2094
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkbyt View Post
Kimber straight from the box has a few in the $800-$1400 range....no upgrades needed
unless you want the new ones to work...
Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #2095
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Picked up a walther p22 for my wife to shoot this past Friday. Took her to the range Saturday morning and all the lanes were filled and they had a line waiting....
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #2096
BnBTobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRiSh View Post
Nice
Yeah, thumbs up buddy!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #2097
Ender
Ok, maybe just one.

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnBTobacco View Post
Yeah, thumbs up buddy!!!
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #2098
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
From what I've heard the Rock Island Armory 1911s are very good and run $400+ depending on the one you get.
They are as reliable as glock.

I had the chance last week to pick one up for 367.00. No funds to splurge.

Right now I own a Glock 22 .40 S&W, and a Ruger LCP .380
Old 04-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #2099
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

My new carry piece. jk

c1991 IMI Desert Eagle MK VII in .44 magnum.

I have absolutely no logical reason for owning this.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #2100
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikihut27 View Post
My new carry piece. jk

c1991 IMI Desert Eagle MK VII in .44 magnum.

I have absolutely no logical reason for owning this.
awesomeness can be its own reason

and more affordable to shoot than the .50
Closed Thread