Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #2481
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '10 - '11 Thread

My brother asked me to help him catch some guinea hen chicks and I figured shoot...I may miss a few minutes. I get home and see the replay of the third goal. Holy s***, what a start for the Bruins!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #2482
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

I will be glued to the tv for game 7.

Congrats to the Bs for making this a highly entertaining series
Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #2483
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post

Congrats to the Bs for making this a highly entertaining series
X 2.....

Wonder if the Bruins can convince Luongo & the 'Nucks he/they are in Boston and not Vancouver Wednesday.....
Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #2484
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
I already told my wife that Wednesday night is booked!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #2485
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Took the night off work Wednesday....not gonna chance hearing anything, I am watching live.

Hope Thursday includes a parade in Beantown, and golfing in Vancouver.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #2486
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?...005730919&ap=1

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #2487
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #2488
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #2489
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Old 06-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #2490
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Lol. You made me log into my facebook account I normally only do that to get some discount or something from a retailer. I think thats the third or fourth time I have logged in.

I wonder if the pressure will get to him or not. He clearly has shown he doesnt handle it well at times.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2050961/
Old 06-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #2491
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I wonder if the pressure will get to him or not. He clearly has shown he doesnt handle it well at times.
One can only hope!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #2492
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Luongo on GW goal: "Not hard [save] if youre playing in the paint. It's an easy save for me. But if you're wandering out...its gonna happen"

I cant believe he had the stones to say that after making NHL history in the two prior games. He and Lebron. Ugggh. How does he explain the soft goals he was letting in tonight? 3 on 8 shots. If they win I will be so sad for Thomas. He has shown he is a stud and if his team wouldnt disappear this series would have already been long over.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #2493
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Luongo on GW goal: "Not hard [save] if youre playing in the paint. It's an easy save for me. But if you're wandering out...its gonna happen"

I cant believe he had the stones to say that after making NHL history in the two prior games. He and Lebron. Ugggh. How does he explain the soft goals he was letting in tonight? 3 on 8 shots. If they win I will be so sad for Thomas. He has shown he is a stud and if his team wouldnt disappear this series would have already been long over.
I thought the same thing when I heard that quote from Luongo. I'm really hoping the Bruins can win game 7.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #2494
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Got my fingers crossed. It has been too long since I have seen a Cup Champion banner raised in Boston.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #2495
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I thought the same thing when I heard that quote from Luongo. I'm really hoping the Bruins can win game 7.
I guess his tires weren't inflated enough for the game last night

Game Seven Holy Crap I am so pumped up for this.

Thomas has been awesome this series and Luongo is a whiny little man.

He has zero class and is a mental case I hope he has a complete metal break down during the game.

I just heard this on the Radio

LABRONGO
Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #2496
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I don't normally watch hockey, but I have watched pretty much every game of the Stanley Cup finals. This stuff is intense. I love how passionate each team is. Always fighting!

As long as I live, I will never forget how much I laughed when Bostons goalie hit the dude from Vancouver a few games ago. The guy for Vancouver hit Boston's goalies stick and then when the refs weren't looking he took out the dudes knee from behind

I could just hear the goalie saying "Don't touch my stick! I'm gonna take out your knee f--ker!"
Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #2497
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Luongo = no class and no clue. The talk I'm hearing is that even if Vancouver ends up winning game 7, Thomas could end up winning the Conn Smythe. I think he deserves it, assuming he doesn't lay an egg Wed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I don't normally watch hockey, but I have watched pretty much every game of the Stanley Cup finals. This stuff is intense. I love how passionate each team is.
That's what we love about hockey, especially playoff hockey.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #2498
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I thought this was a good read, here's the link but I posted it because I wasn't sure if it was on Insider or not Letter to Luongo

Quote:
BOSTON -- Dear Mr. Luongo,

I'm so sorry I missed you Monday evening. My intent was to meet up with you at TD Garden, where I was under the assumption you and your Vancouver Canucks teammates planned to show up to play Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals.

My mistake.

By the time I settled into my seat in the first period, you were already gone, having waved your white Canucks flag in surrender. You had given up three goals on eight shots, and your coach couldn't stand to watch anymore.

For the second time in three games in our fair city, you were yanked from the Stanley Cup finals, reduced to a high-priced spectator with a baseball cap and yet another gaping hole in your postseason dossier. After your team's 5-2 loss, you were the talk of the locker room, for all the wrong reasons.

First, a confession. I was late for this heavily anticipated matchup because I spent the day scouring sporting goods shops looking for the proper apparatus to "pump your tires." It was brought to my attention this was something you felt Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas should have done for you, but he's been kind of busy shutting down your Hart trophy candidates. So I took it upon myself to show some old-fashioned New England hospitality and do the honors.

You do remember your comments, right? After Thomas gave up a late goal to Maxim Lapierre in a 1-0 Game 5 loss, you declared it was a shot you would have stopped.

"It's not hard if you're playing in the paint," you said. "It's an easy save for me, but if you're wandering out and aggressive like he does, that's going to happen. He might make some saves I won't, but in a case like that, we want to take advantage of a bounce like that and make sure we're in a good position to bury those."

Naturally those comments did not sit well with the Bruins. They were particularly curious since you had just come off two of the more dreadful back-to-back performances in recent postseason memory.

You followed up the next day by whining about Thomas, "I've been pumping his tires since the series started. I haven't heard one nice thing he had to say about me."

Hmm. That's curious as well. Since when is it a prerequisite for the competition to lavish his opponent with hearts and flowers and lollipops and best wishes? Thomas might not have been pumping your tires, but he wasn't slashing them, either. Lord knows he would have had enough ammunition had he cared to go that route.

He didn't because he's a thoughtful, poised, composed hockey player. He's got better things to do than dissect each goal you've let up. Besides, with so many to choose from, who'd have the time?

No matter. If pumping your tires is what you want, I was prepared to oblige.

There were two problems with this seemingly mundane assignment. The first: The minute anyone in the metro Boston area heard your name, he or she launched a string of expletives normally reserved for Ulf Samuelsson. You have a bit of an image problem here, Mr. Luongo, because of your decision to verbally challenge the aforementioned Mr. Thomas.

The insinuation from you, your teammate Kevin Bieksa and your coach, Alain Vigneault, that Thomas is "leaky" is, at this hour, well, laughable.

Did you ever take mathematics in school? In case you need a refresher course on how numbers work, let's review the data in front of us. In this Stanley Cup series, you have given up 17 goals. Mr. Thomas, the subject of your skepticism, has given up eight goals.

The scores of the three games Boston dropped in Vancouver were 1-0 on a defensive breakdown, 3-2 in overtime and the aforementioned 1-0 decision in Game 5. All three games were tightly contested, and all three were decided late.

In each case, Thomas kept the Bruins alive with the aggressive, albeit unorthodox style that seems to aggravate you so much. Thomas, you see, has a habit of giving his team a chance to win every time out, so much so that should his team hoist the Stanley Cup on your ice Wednesday evening, he will be the Conn Smythe winner as postseason MVP. In fact, Mr. Luongo, there's a growing sentiment that he might win the award even if your team prevails.

Here's the second problem with the concept of "pumping your tires": They are shredded beyond repair. Brad Marchand, Milan Lucic and Andrew Ference took turns drilling 8-inch spikes into them Monday night. You wilted under Boston's attack, and your team followed suit. Again.

Now, you might well win the Stanley Cup when you return to the friendly confines of your own rink. If so, what will we have learned about you?

That you know how to shine at home, where it's comfortable and easy and safe. That you imploded on the road the moment the pressure was on and you were forced to deal with some unpleasant adversity.

You've given up 15 goals in three games here, Mr. Luongo. And you have the audacity to suggest that Tim Thomas is the weak link?

Roberto Luongo in 2011 Cup finals
Home Road
W-L 3-0 0-3
Goals allowed 2 15
Save percentage .979 .773

I'm not known for jumping on athletes, but here's what really pumps my tires: your superior, condescending attitude toward one of the best stories in hockey.

Tim Thomas is 37, a 217th overall draft pick who toiled for years in the minors and in Europe, who had to fight and scratch and claw for a chance at a starting job, which he did not earn until he was 31. His livelihood was in question as early as this past season, when he underwent hip surgery that threatened to derail his future.

Tuukka Rask was thought to be the goalie-in-waiting, and he might well be a fine one someday. But he doesn't have Tim Thomas' grit or heart or guts or resolve.

Neither do you, Mr. Luongo. You might have that blue-blood hockey pedigree that comes along with being a No. 4 overall pick and an Olympic gold-medal goalie, but that doesn't give you the right to turn up your nose at Tim Thomas.

You certainly have had some fine, fine moments in your career, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will include these Stanley Cup finals among them.

I don't know who will win Game 7 on Wednesday night, but either way, I do know which goalie stood tall and proud and pumped up his team with his inspired play.

Sorry, Mr. Luongo. You fell flat there, too.

Sincerely, Jackie MacMullan
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #2499
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
That's what we love about hockey, especially playoff hockey.
Is the regular season this intense? For some reason when I am flipping thru the channels and the Blue Jackets are on, I get bored.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #2500
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I don't normally watch hockey, but I have watched pretty much every game of the Stanley Cup finals. This stuff is intense. I love how passionate each team is. Always fighting!

As long as I live, I will never forget how much I laughed when Bostons goalie hit the dude from Vancouver a few games ago. The guy for Vancouver hit Boston's goalies stick and then when the refs weren't looking he took out the dudes knee from behind

I could just hear the goalie saying "Don't touch my stick! I'm gonna take out your knee f--ker!"
There was a time when virtually every goalie would protect his crease that way from opposing players and sometimes from his own players when they strayed into the crease. What Thomas did is a lost art.