Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Nostalgia - just a fading memory?

In a recent thread, I wanted to get my hands on some new cigars. In a way, I guess the word new is even relative. Let's just say that the company didn't appear till 2005, and for a guy who has been indulging in cigars since 1980, that's new. I now have a few Kristoff to try, and I passed on some of my favorites.

But, that got me thinking, especially as I thought about posts which I have been reading on CA. I see a lot that I consider "new" (they weren't available when I started smoking cigars and they weren't even available before 2000), brand names like: Pepin, Tatuaje, Illusione, Padilla, Oliva, Kristoff, and some others - some related and others not. Also, I see some new lines from some old stand-bys talked about.

Interestingly, I don't see much discussion of some of the long-standing, venerable lines. I find that interesting, as some of those brands used to dominate discussions of cigar smokers. Were they really that good? Are the new cigars that much better? Are the old brands good as nostalgia, better as a fading memory and not as a contemporary smoke?

Anyway, I am kind of curious about some of the older brands that I haven't noticed much talked about - are they still smoked? Do they still hold the following they did?

Is there something about the contemporary cigar smoker that is always looking for that "nouveau" taste? "Be the first on your block to try the new cigar by Henry Herpolsheimer, the latest sensation to hit the cigar world. He started out as a clerk at Stinky Smokes cigar shop in upstate Alaska, selling premium hand-rolled cigars to caribou and musk ox. He's teamed up with Oliva, Pepin, Carlito and Guido to produce his own line of smokes under the brand name Frozen Tundra - the coolest new smokes since ...." Are the new lines that much better - even the new lines that have appeared in the old brand names?

OK, so that's a little over the top. I like my Tats and Pepins. I am hoping to like Kristoffs as well. Oliva Vs are about my favorites. I enjoy trying new things...

BUT...
There are still some Dominican LGCs sitting in my humidor, am I the only one? Punch Rotschilds still taste like they did before the boom started, and they're great - or is it just nostalgia? Obviously, AFs still sell quite a bit, but is it mainly the newer stuff (SGs, Anejos), or are all the lines still enjoyable? From Avos to Zinos, and all the stalwart brands inbetween many are still available.

So, how many of you venerable, old, smokers remember those sticks? More to the point, how many of you have some and still enjoy them?

Dare I ask it, how many of those who are new to cigars - in the last 5 years - have tried some of the old stand-bys, the stallwarts of the cigar industry? How many of you have them in your humidors as go-to cigars?

Or, have they been relegated to the history books and the trips down memory lane, stories that we share with the newbies as we sit and smoke our Cabaiguans and sip our small batch bourbons?

So, as I trip down memory lane today, putting a few things on the Christmas tree, that's where I went.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 12-14-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: it needed grammatical considerations.
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote