Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '08- '09 Thread

I still find the system for hockey as to the jr aspects and the limbo effect it has on peoples lifes the worse aspect of the sports development.

Al and I talked about this once. These kids finish highschool but can play jrs till age 20. They often have to leave home to do this. At the end of this some very few move on most dont. This is the one of the things that scares the crap out of me about letting my son play. Of course there is no guarentee he would ever be good enough to be anything but this sport unlike any other has a strange limbo period that slows down the regualr progression of a persons life if they are good enough. You dont see this in football, baseball, soccer, hell any other sport.

Then you compound this with the issue of how to get kids noticed, or some would say get more money out of parents is also increasing. If you dont live in minnesota most parents are required to do high level travel teams to hope their child gets noticed. This is 15k for just the kid to do this not if you want to go with them. Funny I spent some time thinking about this over the weekend while at work. I pretty much came to the conclusion I could neve let him play AAA travel.

Just noticed this http://naphl.net/about.cfm seems it is an attempt to compete with Tier 1 elite. San Jose Jr. Sharks decided to join this. Wonder how much more expensive this will be.

It seems like the worse aspect of this sport for kids is the issues getting kids noticed in the US when they dont live in a very few states. Parents end up paying a ton of money to attempt to achieve this. This is only usually to get them onto a jr team.

I dont have this kind of money and likely never will so even if my son was good enough one day he would never get the exposure needed to get noticed. Just seems kind of a bummer. Growing up playing baseball I had a legitamate chance of playing college ball but didnt really want to. All I did was play little league and HS ball. Didnt cost my parents much of anything.