Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Help Needed: Cigar Journal

Hey all,

I'm going to launch a project to improve my web programming skills for my job and have decided to create an online cigar journal that will be free to the public (hopefully). I wish to start by creating a website first, then eventually include an integrated mobile app.

I was hoping to get feedback from the community here to get a sense of useful features (requirements) that I can use as a foundation to get started. My programming skills are very limited, so this will probably be very basic to start as I grow my skillset.

The first question is, are there sites available for this? I know Cigar Aficionado has an online humidor application, as well as several mobile apps that let you track your cigars. I haven't used the CA app in a while, but I remember it being somewhat clumsy. The few apps I've tried (Cigar Boss comes to mind) don't seem to allow you to store your data on the web, which makes it difficult to retain and access your data when moving to new devices. What I am looking to provide is a rating system where people can share/rate their cigars publicly if they wish, while also keeping a personal inventory (Journal) of all the cigars they've smoked and those that are in their possession. Perhaps create wish lists and things like that too.

So far my requirements are as follows:
  • Create a logon system to track individual users and link the following data
  • Provide a list of cigar brands to select from (Not sure where to obtain this)
  • Create a form that has the following inputs:
  • Thumbnail image
  • 1-5 star rating - Always public
  • Marca
  • Country of Origin
  • Vitola
  • Wrapper
  • Binder
  • Filler
  • Country of Origin selection for each leaf type
  • Comments/Review
  • Option to make review public
  • Personal wishlist public or private
One dilemma I am pondering is how to keep the data standard. How to control data entry mistakes and how to populate a list of brands so that I am not constantly having to manually update this considering the panoply of different brands and makes out there.

Would you all use something like this? Any input on this topic would be much appreciated.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote