Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Undercrown FFP

Those who know me know that I gravitate away from clown cigars. But once in a while a cigar comes along which transcends the norm; this is one of them.

This'll be short and sweet, I didn't take anything but mental notes.

I sat on this one since last year. I wanted it to have time to acclimate to my humidor, but then I buried it and forgot. Just found it and it is its turn to burn.

The construction is flawless; the wrapper is an enticing, dark color; not quite espresso, but darker than chocolate. Pre-light, the fragrance is heavenly; raisins, wheat, spices, a funky, yeasty quality.

First third is nice but just a bit muddled. It takes a minute to get into a groove, but when it does it's a gentle wash of flavor on the tongue. Dried apricots and warm spices on a foundation of graham cracker.

The rest is consistent with this profile, but around the middle slightly sweet berry flavors come into play. It remains this way but intensifies considerably in the last inch or so.

I burned my fingers on this baby.

The size is enormous, and I would prefer it be more reasonable; it does help that it is relatively short in length. But perhaps the depth and breadth of flavor would not be possible if anything were changed, and in that case I'd prefer that it remain as it is—one of the few of this ring gauge about which I can say that.

I've had some outstanding cigars this year, but this ranks third, maybe second best of them. Keep up the great work, Jonathan and company!