Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road
Default I need to bum advice from y'all.

Okay. So when I finished high school, I was clueless as to what to do with the rest of my life, I had been accepted to a very good school, locally, called the Rochester Institute of Technology. I went for business, I could not stand engineering. Well after a few months in the business program I decided it wasn't for me, I was miserable, I found it to be boring, the professors and advisors had a "if you're having trouble, join a tech program" attitude. Quite literally, on the day I emailed my advisor's boss asking for help because my advisor was not responding to emails and wouldn't see anybody without an appointment they both responded to my email asking for a meeting to help with my curriculum, general advise on how to complete my classes (order, etc) and if I should look into another program by FWDing me the "Application to Transfer" paperwork.

Then I found myself enrolled in college, still not knowing what I wanted to do with life. My mom works at the school I am at so I'm not racking up tuition. I did IT work for a little while, but again, no way I could code my whole life, I was going insane.

Well, at the very end of last year, I had a friend suggest "History is your passion, do that." And I felt so dumb, I should have done that from the get-go. But now I am in a school that offers no History program, I am taking the Multidisciplinary Tract, which means instead of a "Bachelors of History" I will get a "Bachelors of Applies Arts and Sciences" with concentrations/ minors in American History, European History, and Business. Which I was happy with until I realized with how competitive that field is, I need the History degree to be able to keep up, and am now looking to transfer.

I have 2 options, stay local, my family is relatively close, so it will keep me close to them, new friends from the new school but plenty of the same ones from my current school, all is good, I am content.

I always wanted to go south for college, and never did. Stay on the East Coast (Virgina, Carolinas, Georgia), close enough to drive home for holidays, but far enough to enjoy some good weather, get away from our bitter winters that I HATE! I feel like this could be my opportunity, take the last 2 years of my schooling and go south. It means starting over, new friends, new scene, new everything (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). But it means being that far from my family, and going from seeing them at least once a week to every few months, and talking just on the phone. It's just something I have always wanted to do, and I could be fine up here in NY, but never knowing that I could have been 10x's happier had I gone south. And if I stay, graduate, find a job, maybe a lady, it's harder to take that risk to move for a few years to see if you like it. It would also mean more loans, I'd have to pay for housing, maybe not tuition (tuition exchange program with RIT), but still more than if I stayed here.

I talked it out with a friend of a friend, someone close enough that I know them, but not so close that they're saying "Stay man, stay!" or "Go man, go!" depending on their opinion of me. And in the end I ended up saying something along the lines of "I don't know, leaving family behind would suck, but no one says I can't come back in the end, NY is my home. And if I hate it, it's 2 years, just a drop in the bucket compared to life." And he thinks I answered my own question, which I may have.

I have always tried to live my life as if I would die tomorrow. You can't take money with you. You can't go back in time. And this has me all twisted up, because if something happened to me next year and I was here, I would never know what it was like. If something happened to me next year and I was there, I'd be so far from home.

Just looking for general thoughts. Anecdotes? Thanks.