Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Shilala's Blind Review Contest - wayner123

So I was one of the two people chosen in the contest that Shilala held here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47324

There were 5 cigars sent, and this is a review of cigar #1.

Smoking: The pre-light draw tasted a bit of oats. I usually associate this with Dominican cigars. After lighting up and taking a few puffs there was no oat taste. This cigar had one main flavor throughout the cigar. At first I thought it might be wet cotton, but there was a metallic nature to it, and I am going to describe it tasting like modeling clay. If you have not ever smelt modeling clay then grab a terra cotta pot and take a whiff, that is what the taste was like for the majority of the cigar. A few times (5 or 6) there was a sweetness that I would associate to maduro's. But the very next puff it would go back to modeling clay. Near the middle of the cigar I got some cinnamon type spice for about 3 puffs. After that it never came back. The cigar also got bitter a couple of times.

Construction: 25/25 (burned like a champ)
Flavor: 40/75

Total: 65/100

It wasn't a horrible cigar, but not one I would go out and buy more of either. The clay taste would not go away. Also, there seemed to be other flavors wanting to come out, but they seemed muted. Like they were there at one time, but now had been diminished. I did not grade the cigar on appearance because I wanted to go on taste as much as I could.

I don't know if Scott wants us to take a guess at what it is, but here is mine:

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990