Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road
Question BIY Travel Humidor - Some Q's

All,
First a warning - if you are expecting Waxing Moon/Aristocrat quality; shy thy eyes !
I decided that it was time for me to get into woodworking. When I was younger, I helped my dad build all the furniture in the house; so I know my way around the shop - just never had a shop of my own.
Slowly but surely, the tools found their way into the basement, and work began. Im attempting at making a small, 3-4 stick travel humidor, with an area for a cutter and lighter. I found some nice black walnut and tiger maple; and I was off !
Pics are below. What I am trying to understand is how I need to treat the inside of the box before I install the Spanish cedar lining ? What do I need to do to protect the joints from humidity ? I did use a water-proof glue.
For the lining itself, I have some 1/4" cedar which I will cross cut to fit tight, but rip loose so there's some expansion room. A couple dabs of glue to secure and it should be ready for seasoning I think.
From a finishing perspective, I've always found that tung oil and a paste wax finish figured woods nicely....So that's what Im going with here.
Any thoughts or suggestions ? I still need to drill 4 holes for magnets which will help keep the lid closed. I already cut some maple plugs to finish those holes.

Here's how it sits right now:

Thanks !
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote