Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 12-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Gawith & Hoggarth Cherry Cream Flake

Before you go any further, know this, I am not a big aromatic fan, so it was with some apprehension that I even tried this blend.
Described by manufacturer: Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s Cherry Cream Flake is a firmly pressed and sliced combination of ripe red and sweet golden Virginias that has been laced with a smooth, rich cherry flavor. The resulting flakes offer a variety of preparation options so you can find the method that delivers the best sweet and fruity flavor. G&H Cherry Cream Flake is one of the most unique flake tobaccos available.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: While I had my misgivings, my favorite format for pipe tobacco is a flake. In that regard this is a handsome flake, personally, the flakes I received were a bit darker in general than the stock pic from Pipes & Cigars above. 4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: A bit on the moist side right out of the "baggie", but not unsmoke-ably so. I rubbed this out completely, although it could be folded and stuffed. The pre-light nose stated that solid Virginias made up this blend, and the cherry & cream were going to sit on the sidelines, ready to play if needed, but they were bench warmers. 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: No bite, I like that. As I was a bit impatient with the drying time, it did take a bit of effort to get an even burn going, that was more my problem than the fault of the tobacco. 4.4

4) Flavor and strength: I do not like cloying flavorings on a tobacco. This is a high quality Virginia with a very delicate top note, the cherry & cream are a more subliminal hints to the Virginias. In fact, I had to concentrate to taste either the cherry or the cream, they were that fleeting. I like the way that G&H handled applying the top note here! The Virginias will not kick your fandango with a nic hit, but it is nice. 4.0

5) Aftertaste/Finish: I expected some cherry or cream here, but it was only ephemerally noticed. Instead, a tasty Virginian sweetness played slightly on the palate before dissipating. 3.8

6) Aroma: Here is where the cherry & cream came to the fore, but again, only with much concentrated expectation that they were supposed to be present. My son walked in and asked is there was supposed to be a cherry scent or if that was just how the tobacco naturally tasted, it was not truly obvious. 4.0

7) General Comments: An aromatic I can enjoy? Seriously? Well, maybe it is simply a quality Virginia blend with a slight whiff of cherry & cream. I only ordered 4oz of this to try, it just sounded intriguing. I am glad I did! Very nicely done, G&H. 4.6

8) Recommendation: I highly recommend this blend to those who would like to enjoy a quality VA but want something just a bit different.

Peace of the Lord be with you.