Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...
 
BlkDrew's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
First Name: Andrew
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 807
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough
Default First roasting experience

Got a 4 lb sampler from SM, used a cuisinart popcorn popper, not as easy as a thought it would be since there is only one inlet for the heat, no slots to spin the beans. But I think I did ok for the first 1/3 cup. I'll see if I can rig something
Brazilian Natural
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly
 
ApexAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
First Name: Brian
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 1,299
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First roasting experience

Drew you should get the stainless steel whirly pop. Works like a charm and some people have figured out ways to attach a motor. It's a pretty inexpensive way to start.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life
 
OnePyroTec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
First Name: Wayne
Location: Nevada
Posts: 327
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First roasting experience

Just to start roasting is the most important. :-) Those beans don't look black and oily so they are OK in my book.

When you say you used the popcorn popper, is it the hot air model or traditional add oil type popper?
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...
 
BlkDrew's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
First Name: Andrew
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 807
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First roasting experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
Just to start roasting is the most important. :-) Those beans don't look black and oily so they are OK in my book.

When you say you used the popcorn popper, is it the hot air model or traditional add oil type popper?
it is the hot air model. but i got the wrong one. it just blows from the bottom not the sides.... off to the goodwill for me...
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
T.G
Mmmm Stogies....
 
T.G's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
First Name: The Other Adam
Posts: 14,254
Trading: (36)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: First roasting experience

I started out with a hot air popcorn popper that, like yours, just had the bottom inlet rather than the side "swirl" vents. What I ended up doing was making a chimney from two tin cans with both the tops and bottoms cut out and then taped together with high temp tape. Took the plastic top off the roaster and stuck the chimney into the chamber, then would wear leather gloves and use a long wooden spoon or just gently shake the roaster to stir the beans during roasting.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
8zeros
What's this button do?
 
8zeros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
First Name: Roger
Location: Far from everything
Posts: 267
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First roasting experience

I don't know anything about coffee except drinking it but I just wondered, has anyone thought about using a rotisserie? Rig a can in one like a tumbler?
__________________
8zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
MarkinOR
Formerly MarkinCA
 
MarkinOR's Avatar
10
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mark
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 6,155
Trading: (40)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to beholdMarkinOR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First roasting experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I started out with a hot air popcorn popper that, like yours, just had the bottom inlet rather than the side "swirl" vents. What I ended up doing was making a chimney from two tin cans with both the tops and bottoms cut out and then taped together with high temp tape. Took the plastic top off the roaster and stuck the chimney into the chamber, then would wear leather gloves and use a long wooden spoon or just gently shake the roaster to stir the beans during roasting.
I find it more challenging not using the leather gloves Adam
__________________
"Don't Worry...GOD will work out His plans for your life..." Psalm 138 8
MarkinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly
 
ApexAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
First Name: Brian
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 1,299
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First roasting experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8zeros View Post
I don't know anything about coffee except drinking it but I just wondered, has anyone thought about using a rotisserie? Rig a can in one like a tumbler?
There are commercial and diy kits for attaching coffee drums to both electric and grill style rotisserie.

There are coffee roasting kits for the Ronco electric rotisserie. I don't have any personal experience with them, but have read that they can have trouble reaching temps needed for a good roast.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
TXSmokey
huh
 
TXSmokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
First Name: Richard
Location: huh
Posts: 150
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First roasting experience

Dumb question here, can't you put them in the oven?
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly
 
ApexAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
First Name: Brian
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 1,299
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First roasting experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSmokey View Post
Dumb question here, can't you put them in the oven?
Yes, but people prefer a method that agitates the bean throughout the roast to prevent scorching. The pan side of the been will burn in the oven. You can do it in a pan too, you just have to continuously stir the beans. Even this method results in some scorching though.

A constant tumbling is preferred to achieve a consistent roast.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life
 
OnePyroTec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
First Name: Wayne
Location: Nevada
Posts: 327
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First roasting experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Yes, but people prefer a method that agitates the bean throughout the roast to prevent scorching. The pan side of the been will burn in the oven. You can do it in a pan too, you just have to continuously stir the beans. Even this method results in some scorching though.

A constant tumbling is preferred to achieve a consistent roast.
Agreed, I have seen it done in the oven once. It was a total failure.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life
 
OnePyroTec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
First Name: Wayne
Location: Nevada
Posts: 327
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First roasting experience

The good will is the perfect place to the hot air poppers. I used to use the name brand small roasters, burn up too quick. Then switched to hot air poppers from the thrift stores for $5.00 and lasted 4-5 times longer than the small roasters.

I finally HAD to jump up to a larger roaster because of the volume of beans we go through and gifts. I'd still use the hot air poppers if I could.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.