Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Shamansmith

Exclamation cigars and health

Hello, My name is Shaman Smith (yes actual name) and I have just recently turned 18 and when I raise the appropriate funds me and my friend were going to drive down to this place called Tinderbox to get some cigars. But I have some questions.

Up until now I really haven't done any potentially hazards things to my health (unless you count being fat), never smoked anything, drank, I’ve even managed to evade being sick much of my life so I have never really taken any medications either. And this whole while I have seen read and heard many things about the dangers of such things I have stated above. And believe you me, I am as skeptical of this fear mongering as the next guy with aluminum foil as a hat. Yet despite this I do find even the prospect of developing tongue and throat cancer a bit...unsavory.

So without relying upon some faceless company's research I would rather ask the people of this forum-

Does anyone have, or knows someone who has, any health problems due to smoking (specifically cigars)? And if I plan smoking no more than roughly 2 cigars a week am I in any real danger?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: cigars and health

I dont see any problems with my health. I guess if you dont inhale the cigar, there is vary little risk. Mouth cancer is found more in dip that anything else. All I can suggest is brush your teeth and rinse with a good mouth wash after, the greatest risk is from kissing a girlfriend or wife who doesnt care for it.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

You're a big boy now. You can decide whether or not a risk is acceptable to you. I smoke cigars because I enjoy it. There is a potential health hazard, albeit small. However, I as a grown man have made the decision that the enjoyment I get out of cigars is worth the risk.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Shamansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantim0 View Post
You're a big boy now. You can decide whether or not a risk is acceptable to you. I smoke cigars because I enjoy it. There is a potential health hazard, albeit small. However, I as a grown man have made the decision that the enjoyment I get out of cigars is worth the risk.
yes, well me being a "big boy" now has no bearing weather or not smoking is actually harmful..which was the entirety of my post.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

As with any smoking, risks do go up with imbibing. The stats show the risk to be minimal, in a statistical sense. In order for it to be zero for some, it must be above average for others. You may or may not be in a group at the extremes of the averages. Caveat Emptor and all that.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamansmith View Post
yes, well me being a "big boy" now has no bearing weather or not smoking is actually harmful..which was the entirety of my post.
Of course its harmful, most things worth doing are. You will increase your risk of certain cancers by smoking.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yes, the weather outside is frightful, but whether cigars are harmful is a question that can be argued ad nauseum. I suggest you spend some time here before you start getting a pissy attitude about someone who is responding to your question! Or perhaps you aren't as big a boy as surmised.....
Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Shamansmith

Well, thanks for everyone’s' thoughts

Especially for Hotreds input on semantics of all things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Yes, the weather outside is frightful, but whether cigars are harmful is a question that can be argued ad nauseum. I suggest you spend some time here before you start getting a pissy attitude about someone who is responding to your question! Or perhaps you aren't as big a boy as surmised.....
And yes that was said in jest.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I'm headed over to my gun forum to asks if guns kill people, or people kill guns.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Especially for Hotreds input on semantics of all things!
Homonyms, actually.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Yes it is harmful to you. So are cigarettes and booze but you know what....they taste GREAT! You only live once, don't miss out on anything you want to do. You don't get a second chance to do it all over again. IMHO 2 a week isn't a problem, although if you do get cancer there isn't too much proof that cigars did it. Theres always stories of that 95 year old 4 pack a day smoker in perfect health. You really need to decide this one for yourself, all of us can only give you the "go for it" because we do. It's enjoyable and if I do get mouth cancer so be it.

EDIT frankly having sex has it's own set of risks, you take that risk....because does anyone really want to be a virgin forever. I don't think so. Just sayin'. Life is a risk.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Gary
waiting for my next smoke

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
Gary is on a distinguished road

That's the truth.

I had a neighbor once who was 95, smoked cigarettes around the clock, drank beer, and was in great health. He would even walk down the hill to the grocery store and lug all his groceries back up the hill. I'm sure we can all cite examples like this. Even George Burns who had like 15 cigars everyday, and smoked for 70 years.

The other side of the coin, I had a coworker, who was in perfect health, ate only healthy foods, went to the gym, then tragically died of brain cancer. Also had another coworker who was also in perfect health, went to the gym, ate healthy, then tragically died in a skiing accident.

Being really careful in life is no guarantee of any sort. You just never know.

To answer your question, no, I don't know anybody who had/has health problems related to cigar smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Theres always stories of that 95 year old 4 pack a day smoker in perfect health.

Last edited by Gary; 12-12-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Just sayin'. Life is a risk.
That's as good an answer as I've ever heard.
Welcome to life, right?
Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

A good cigar definitely reduces stress. Trust me on this one bro!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
TheStatsGuy
I'm a proud Masshole

First Name: Tim #4
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
TheStatsGuy will become famous soon enough

Inevitably when you here a bunch of guys/gals talking about cigars someone doesn't particularly care for a type of smoke someone else enjoys and you'll hear "like what you smoke and smoke what you like" (aka Tom and his Gurkhas).

In this case I'll say like what you do and do what you like. I'll gladly sacrifice a little time on this earth for the enjoyment I derive from the friendships made and the fine cigars enjoyed for the last 10 years and many more going forward hopefully.

In honor of this thread I promise to go watch some football with friends tonight and smoke at least 2 cigars.

Ashes to ashes..
Old 12-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStatsGuy View Post
Inevitably when you here a bunch of guys/gals talking about cigars someone doesn't particularly care for a type of smoke someone else enjoys and you'll hear "like what you smoke and smoke what you like" (aka Tom and his Gurkhas).

In this case I'll say like what you do and do what you like. I'll gladly sacrifice a little time on this earth for the enjoyment I derive from the friendships made and the fine cigars enjoyed for the last 10 years and many more going forward hopefully.

In honor of this thread I promise to go watch some football with friends tonight and smoke at least 2 cigars.

Ashes to ashes..
Amen Brother, I will kill something tonight at well.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I know of noone that has had a significant health problems SOLELY due to smoking cigars. But as others have stated above, there is a risk in it. I, like the others, am willing to take that risk because of the pleasure this great hobby provides me.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
jsd

Smoking cigars obviously won't make you healthier, but neither will eating fast food, drinking caffeine, breathing smoggy air, or a number of other things we all do.

I don't personally know anyone with any cigar-related illnesses, but I imagine if you do it long enough you might end up with something.

I do have a suggestion for you. Don't smoke cigars just for the sake of smoking. Smoke good cigars that you enjoy. And by smoking good cigars your mouth won't taste like an ashtray when you wake up the next morning.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

If you are concerned with the health implications of smoking cigars I would suggest you speak to your physician. Anecdotal information is of little use. Your doctor will be able to advise you of the impact on your personal health better than anyone else.

Please take the time to introduce and tell us a bit about yourself here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
If you are concerned with the health implications of smoking cigars I would suggest you speak to your physician. Anecdotal information is of little use. Your doctor will be able to advise you of the impact on your personal health better than anyone else.

Please take the time to introduce and tell us a bit about yourself here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Best Advice thus far.
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote