Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Drew Estates Cigar Safari

Just got back from a few days in Esteli Nicaragua on the Cigar Safari w/ Jonathan Drew.

Best. Cigar. Trip. EVAR.

A quick rundown...

We all few in from Miami and were met at the airport by Pedro, our tour gude and and one of Jons upper empolyees in Nicaragua. The moment we all hop into the Ratmobile (tour bus) Pedro is handing out refreshments (sodas, water, beer) and T52s, LP9s, JdNs, Tabak Especials, whatever you want - he has boxes of it on the bus.

A quick rundown on the history of Nicaragua and off to a fantastic restruant with an open serving area overlooking a huge volcanic lake - just a phenomenal view and great food (everything is included - you pay for nothing except any sovineers that you may choose to buy at local stores). Back into the Ratmobile and more cigars and a trip to one of the active volcanos which helped to create the wonderfull black soil of the area which is responsible for growing some of the finest tobaccos in the world.

We arive at Drew Estates factory and Jonathan is there to greet us and inform us that he has "some great surprises" planned for us. We get settled into our rooms and head up to the lounge to enjoy some cigars and drinks before dinner, and after we've been up there for a bit, one of Jon's surprises walks through the door... Jeorge Padron and he's carrying a bundle of his cigars for us to enjoy (in addition to all the cigars that Jon is supplying) over the next few days. Jeorge stays through dinner and for a few hours after, just talking and hanging out with us all the while.

Next morning, we're off to Don Pepin's My Father factory and guess who is there to greet us...
Pete Johnson with a bundle of Tatuaje Black Petite Robustos. How frickin' cool is that?
(It was supposed to be a surprise but Pete posted it on facebook before we got there...)

We head off to Pepin's tobacco fields and since there is no tobacco in the ground yet, Pete is walking us trough the tents where the seeds are started and about 1/3 of the way through this, the man himself, Don Pepin comes walking up behind us with a giant smile on his face. He takes us through the process and out into one of the fields, explaining all the intricacies and then off to another one of his fields, where we got the Ratmobile stuck (someone has a photo of Jon pushing the bus, I'll have to look for it later). Then back to the My Father factory where Pepin walked us through every part of the operation and damn near every room. Never once did I see that man without a smile on his face, he was so happy to share his love with us because of our passion.

Back to DE for Lunch and then off to a very special factory. No other factory in Nicaragua could hold the honor and distinction of where we were going next. Joya de Nicaragua, over 40 years of history, pride and tradition all in, what is now, one small building (at one time it was the largest factory in the country). Mario (JdN's general manager) took us through the whole operation, showing us some of the unique things about JdN. Watching Jon take a experimental Antanio cigar (based on some changes he sugguested) fresh from the rollera's table, light it and his eyes and expression just screamed "BOO-YAH!". Jon asks Mario we could all get some and next thing you know, all of us are standing there on the rolling floor of JdN totally in awe of this cigar just rolled seconds before that we are all smoking. Then Mario taking us into the confrence room at the end of the tour and showing us some fantastic history and then asking us if we had any comments or thoughts for JdN and he meant it. One brother sugguesated coronas in the the new cigar we just tried, and, get this, totally unknown to us, Mario shows up the next night at dinner at DE carring bundles of the JD tweaked Antanio in corona size for us. If that isn't the ultimate in cool, nothing is.

So, back to Thursday night, we get back to DE and head up to the lounge before dinner and Pete walks through the door and starts handing out La Verite 2009s (yes, 2009s!). Don Pepin and Pete join us for dinner. Pepin heads home, Pete stays with us, and we all head off to a local nightclub and meet up with Jeorge Padron again.

The next morning, we're off to the Padron factory where Jeorge had something really special for us and gives us the tour of the factory, a small section of his fields, he shows us his padron peppers grown on the Padron farm for making the hot sauce that will come with the Padron 47ths (ok, the peppers are real but it's only like 20 plants, but we were joking about a Padron hot sauce made with padron peppers being included with certain boxes). Just an amazing operation he has there.

Back to DE and time for a tour of Jon's factory and more. Nintey six thousand square feet of factory space. 96,000... That's the size of Home Depot or Lowes... That's huge... and, it's not big enough...

Jon shows us the factory, tells us stories, just lets his love and passion for it all come through. This is a man who about 15 years ago, showed up in Nicaragua with a paper bag of money, passion and a dream and desire to make cigars and it all comes through. And through that, we saw some some really cool things about his cigars and how no one else is doing anything like what he showed us.

Then, we go into one of the confrence rooms and Jon starts puttig piles of tobacco out on the table - lots of piles, I mean a lot of freaking piles... Hands us some sheets with descriptions, and gives us a bit of instruction and it's time for us to blend our own cigars now. Pick the vitola, go through the tobaccos with what you have experienced and learned over the past two days, pick your filler blend, pick your capa and capote (wrapper and binder) and they'll make 10 of them for you. Maybe your cigar will flop, maybe it will be good, maybe it will be more than good, way more than good. You never know, but it will always be YOUR cigar. And they keep your blend cards on file forever so that more could be made if needed. How cool is that? (and, yes, cuz, if my blend works, I'm thinking about calling it the Strangled Hamster).

Then we got to see Jesse Flores's operation. Subculture studios. Jesse is responsible for all the artwork and designs, and he's damn good at it, and he surrounds himself with people like him, passionate former street artists whose creativity seem to know no bounds. And, get this, he gives each of us a custom silkscreened shirt - no two are alike. Damn cool in my book...

Oh, and check this, Pete joined us AGAIN for dinner, along with Mario from JdN, where he gave us the cigars that he blended and had made overnight for us just based on one BOTLs comment.

We didn't just meet cigar makers, we got to know them. We didn't just tour factories, we saw what makes them special and unique. We didn't just see cigars being made, we saw care, love and pride being rolled.

It just don't get any better than that. To borrow a line from the skipper (who was on this trip and whom some of you might know Tom from other boards) "It was like taking a cool drink from a firehose..."

I went on the trip to see cigars and their factories, what I saw was so much more... I saw a little bit of what drives Pete, I saw Pepin's secret, I saw what makes JdNs JdNs, I saw why Jeorge Padron is such a cool customer, with all the style, grace and ease of the greatest golfer, and I really saw the passion that drives my friend Jonathan.

I went to Nicaragua expecting to learn something about cigars, I walked away with so much more.

(I'm in LoCal for another 5 days, once I get back home I'll get some photos posted)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Drew Estates Cigar Safari

Sounds like it was an awesome trip.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

wow sounds like a great trip
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Sounds awesome, Adam, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

SUPER jealous! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Martel

This sounds like a blast... got pics?

Cheers,
G
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
ABNMP619

WOW! Thanks for sharing. Mucho jealous right now. That had to be the best time ever. I need to find me a travel agent that can hook this up for me when I get home.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
SouthernSmoke
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (6)
Partagas
SouthernSmoke is on a distinguished road

My dad and I have been looking at this trip. Was it normal to visit all of the factories as you did? I know having Pete around like you guys did isn't probably the norm, so I don't expect that. But was it typical to visit Padron and My Father factories?
SouthernSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool...thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Wow, sounds like the trip of a lifetime for any cigar smoker..congrats
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for sharing, sounds incredible.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

This trip sounds amazing! Cant wait for some pics.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you had an awesome time. I have been considering taking this trip in a year or two. Maybe we need a CA trip down there.
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
mariogolbee

Adam, wow. The funny thing is, you deserved this trip.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Very cool,sounds like the trip of a lifetime Adam.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Pure awesomeness!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I thought we were friends???

You didn't even put this on the radar!!!

I'm pissed!!!

Just Kidding!!!

Sounds like a blast!!!

Next time, I want to go!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #18
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a an amazing trip. Can't wait to see the pictures.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel View Post
This sounds like a blast... got pics?

Cheers,
G
It was a blast, and yes, I do have pictures, around 700 of them, plus one of the BOTLs on the trip is pooling all the photos, but I won't be home and able to access a system that can really handle processing the photos for a few more days (in SoCal right now). I'll try to get a few up as soon as possible.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #20
BC-Axeman

Nice review!
No, really, great write-up. A little bit jealous here.