Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
mpd340

Default Kia Sorento

My wife is looking at getting a new vehicle. We are currently looking at a 2011 Kia Sorento. I figured I would ask for some feedback from anybody who has owned one. The safety ratings are good and it has recieved good reviews, but since when can you trust those. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kia Sorento

Never driven one myself, but have a friend who owns one and really likes it.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
tobii3

It's a crapshoot, really. Kia Sorento = Hyundai Santa Fe. If you're set on it, go for it - just know that going into it that the resale values are absolute sh*t...so unless you are buying it outright, you'll be upside down financially as soon as you sign the dotted line.

Best of luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
It's a crapshoot, really. Kia Sorento = Hyundai Santa Fe. If you're set on it, go for it - just know that going into it that the resale values are absolute sh*t...so unless you are buying it outright, you'll be upside down financially as soon as you sign the dotted line.

Best of luck!

Look for a low mileage certified used Chevy Equinox.
Just one mans opinion.

Good luck brother, having to deal with car salesmen..
Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

First Name: Bob
Trading: (0)
fhrblig is on a distinguished road

The current Chevy Equinox is a decent vehicle. It is, however....erm, unfortunate looking, shall we say?

The Sorento is a good choice, and has a better warranty. The Hyundai Santa Fe is similar, like Tobii3 said, but I think the styling of the Sorento is better. Hyundai and Kia resale values are starting to climb with the quality levels.

Does she absolutely need an SUV? Normally I wouldn't suggest a different type of vehicle, but while you are at the Kia dealer, take a look at the 2011 Optima. It's a beautiful car, probably the first Korean car that I could actually say "I want that" about.
Posted via Mobile Device
fhrblig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhrblig View Post
take a look at the 2011 Optima. It's a beautiful car, probably the first Korean car that I could actually say "I want that" about.
You need help.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Not to knock any car company, but 2 years ago I received a letter from my bank stating they will not finance any KIA sales. The resale is nothing and the bank was losing to much money on repos.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
You need help.
Have you seen it? Gorgeous. Why any one would buy a Camry or Accord after seeing it, I have no idea. They finally got around to building real cars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
Not to knock any car company, but 2 years ago I received a letter from my bank stating they will not finance any KIA sales. The resale is nothing and the bank was losing to much money on repos.
I think that's changed a bit. I know my credit union wouldn't finance Suzukis still, but Hyundai and Kia were not on the bad list anymore when I went in to finance my Ranger. Which I love dearly, but come on. If any vehicle should be denied financing it's the Ranger. It's 2 years old and has 26k miles on it; what's it worth now, a quarter?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think that's changed a bit. I know my credit union wouldn't finance Suzukis still, but Hyundai and Kia were not on the bad list anymore when I went in to finance my Ranger. Which I love dearly, but come on. If any vehicle should be denied financing it's the Ranger. It's 2 years old and has 26k miles on it; what's it worth now, a quarter?
Posted via Mobile Device
Its funny you say that. The Ford Ranger is actually made by Mazda. It seems everyone has parts made by so many companies its coming down all cars will be built under one name.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Those Rangers are TOUGH to sit in, with two people it's like having sex without the actual touching.
I am also looking at a new vehicle, lucky that I have drinks and herbal incense with my local Chevy dealer.
Why can't he be a Ford dealer?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

My sis had a Sante Fe, ended up rolling $6K into her next vehicle just to get rid of it.

She had it for 3 years, was up to date on her payments, but needed a bigger vehicle (lots of kids). The low resale value screwed her over big time. Granted she could have done it differently like selling it rather than trading it in, but she needed to get it done quickly.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Those Rangers are TOUGH to sit in, with two people it's like having sex without the actual touching.
I am also looking at a new vehicle, lucky that I have drinks and herbal incense with my local Chevy dealer.
Why can't he be a Ford dealer?
It's cramped, it's noisy, you feel EVERY bump, and it's an old design. I LOVE IT! It feels unbreakable, and I usually get 27-32 mpg. The cab is so small you can leave the A/C on the lowest setting and it keeps you nice and cold in summer, and in winter you can leave the heater on the lowest setting and be toasty. And every person who told me RWD is bad in the snow are dirty, dirty liars. I've never had so much fun in winter driving. You just have to know how to drive. Oh, and the $4000 rebate was also awesome. It needs a wash and smells like a herf, but I never want to get rid of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I'd look at Ford since you are kicking tires.

I'd put Hyundai above Kia in quality and in a few years the Hyundai name will be better than Kia. Hyuandai is on the up and up big time. Look at the Sonata!!! Does a US sold car get any sexier for that price point?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
The current Chevy Equinox is a decent vehicle. It is, however....erm, unfortunate looking, shall we say?

The Sorento is a good choice, and has a better warranty. The Hyundai Santa Fe is similar, like Tobii3 said, but I think the styling of the Sorento is better. Hyundai and Kia resale values are starting to climb with the quality levels.

Does she absolutely need an SUV? Normally I wouldn't suggest a different type of vehicle, but while you are at the Kia dealer, take a look at the 2011 Optima. It's a beautiful car, probably the first Korean car that I could actually say "I want that" about.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK lets try a Certified Pre-owned Ford Escape, great vehicle made in Kansas City.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
mpd340

We have looked at several different SUV's. We are trading in a 2006 Dodge Charger and would love to buy another one, but they are a little out of our price range for what we want. I do like the Equinox, but it is hard to beat the 30mpg estimated on the Sonata. My wife drives close to 60 miles round trip daily so we are looking for something to haul kids and not need to be refueled every two days. And for anyone wondering why were getting rid of the Charger is because the miles are high (122000). I made a first time car buyer mistake and bought a used car with high miles.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post
OK lets try a Certified Pre-owned Ford Escape, great vehicle made in Kansas City.
The Escapes are pretty nice, but if we're talking used, I'd be willing to bet a Mercury Mariner could be found cheaper since Mercury is dead. Plus, they'll be serviced by Ford dealers. I wonder if the Mazda Tribute might be cheaper too because they haven't been able to sell as many as the Escape.

Badge engineering may be distasteful, but at least it can result in bargains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
The Escapes are pretty nice, but if we're talking used, I'd be willing to bet a Mercury Mariner could be found cheaper since Mercury is dead. Plus, they'll be serviced by Ford dealers. I wonder if the Mazda Tribute might be cheaper too because they haven't been able to sell as many as the Escape.

Badge engineering may be distasteful, but at least it can result in bargains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd340 View Post
....trading in a 2006 Dodge Charger and would love to buy another one...getting rid of the Charger is because the miles are high (122000). I made a first time car buyer mistake and bought a used car with high miles.
um...

if you bought it used, you're still paying on it, right?

Trade in value on a "regular" Charger (non R/T, non Hemi) is maybe $6,500 - $7,000...which is probably less than what you owe, right?

Just pointing out some options instead of eating MORE debt rolled into another 5 or more years of car payments, that's all.

Repairs will ALWAYS be cheaper than taking on more car payments.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #20
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry but kia is krap. I would suggest the explorer or escape as a good vehicle.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote