Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Padron Family Reserve 46 Maduro

Awhile back, Scott (sofaman) and I went to see a Pens game and stopped at Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox, Pa. on the way.
He and I are big Padron fans, I like my 26 and 64's, he's a huge fan of the 80th's. I wanted to grab us a special smoke that we've not tried, and waffled between the 45th and 46th until I finally picked the 46th.

I don't have a lot to say, because there's not a lot to say about Padron that hasn't been said. They're beyond reproach, and this 45th was no exception. Perfectly constructed, gorgeous, perfect burn, this smoke had everything you would expect from a Padron.

Here's my gripe, which is not really a gripe, more like an observation...
This cigar did not remotely taste like a Padron Anni. It tasted more like a Fuente with Fuente's patented champagne background and nearly empty body.
Now don't get me wrong, it was excellent. It royally kicked my ass, as well as Scott's. It was delicious. The problem was that I was expecting strong and dark and thick like an 80th maduro, and I was presented with something not remotely like any other Padron Anniversary. It was mildish, refined, sweet, not so full, and not thick at all. It was super nicotine strong, but didn't provide a finish that stayed with me like other Anni's do.

Had I been up on my reviews, I may have known this going in, and I'd have been pleasantly surprised. Because I wasn't, I was kinda bummed.
The point of this review is not to warn you off the cigar, quite the opposite. If you'd like to experience "a different kind of Padron", here's your chance. It's something I've never experienced before, and I'm happy for the opportunity. I was just hoping for something classic when I picked them up.

At $25 or $26 a stick, I'll not try another because I can get the same flavor and profile from a fuente signature maduro at a far smaller price tag, although I won't get the kick in the head out of it.
I would highly recommend everyone to give it a shot, because it's a unique Padron experience. I don't know if they'll ever go so far out of character again, and it makes me want to try the 45th now, just to see if it's the same sort of departure.

This cigar gets a 10/10 in my book, just like all Padron's stuff. Even if it tasted like Fuente stuff.